1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I bought a 2009 Prius with 230,000 Miles.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Simbaboy, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Simbaboy

Simbaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to ask a question with my 1st post.

I have been reading the threads here but finally decided to join to ask the question.

I have been communicating with the Seller on Craigslist. His 2009 Prius (no specifics on trim) has 230K Miles but looks to be in decent condition. I have not seen the car in person.

He asked $4000/best offer on the CL ad. But in my discussion it appears he is motivated to sell and will come down in price.

The drive battery has not been replaced and no other major repairs other than maintenance. He says his car was in a minor fender bender and rear bumper was replaced. I tried to enter the VIN in the Toyota database but the VIN did not work. If I proceed with seeing the car, I will check out the VIN and obtain a carfax.

I would like to be fair in my offer. What should it be? If and when I see the car, what should I look for for starters?

Thank You in Advance.
    Simba

DLC82SV likes this.
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome!
    Four grand seems high to me unless it's hyper clean and has every bell & whistle Toyota offers. And 230k miles is more than I'd like to buy into, but sometimes the budget demands otherwise. I think he might come down. Aside from battery and other drive train concerns, if it's a Michigan car with eight years of road salt exposure, then I'd think he'd need to come way down. Here's a link to where I shop for some comparison prices. Listings - Tampa Hybrids Inc.

edthefox5 and Simbaboy like this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest you look at kbb.com as another source of used car valuations. I would say that $2,500 would be a fair offering price.

There are many prior posts about how to evaluate the condition of a used Prius, and I recommend you look for those.

Also, this is not the right car for you unless you are able to DIY significant repairs, such as traction battery replacement. You need to expect the traction battery will fail in the near future and have a plan to deal with that eventuality.

Who knows how much longer the engine and transaxle will last. That is partially dependent upon how often the engine oil/filter was replaced, whether the transaxle ATF was changed out periodically, etc.

Simbaboy and jerrymildred like this.
  4. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your offer? Whatever the seller will ultimately accept. Your bargaining skills will determine the final price. Let's assist you with that.

The HV battery will need replacement/repair eventually but it's not easy to determine when. Plan on it anyway. You have many options here but the best is a brand new battery from a Toyota stealership. It's about $2100 if you DIY but that will be a lot of work. $3500 at a stealership.

Minor fender bender? That's subjective. Do your best to find out what happened exactly. When you test drive it make sure it goes straight down the road. Examine the the treadwear pattern on the tires for cupping or anything unusual.

Make sure there are no warning lights on the dash - ZERO! Do you have a DTC reader? If not get one, they're handy.

Drive another Gen 2 from a stealership to compare it with the one you're looking at

What is the KBB and Edmunds TMV for this as a trade in? Use this as a starting point for your negotiations.

I'd start at $3000 and go up from there. Be careful not to insult the seller by low balling them too much. They will tell you what they'll accept, so don't try to push them because they might tell you to drop dead even before you get to see it.

DLC82SV, Simbaboy and jerrymildred like this.
  5. Simbaboy

Simbaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all.

I am not much into wrenching and very limited time. My mechanic--has been fair and good for many years--refuses to work on 'foreign' cars.

it sounds like unless its a good deal ?around $2500 I should look elsewhere.

Thank you and will await more responses.

Simba

6. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    JK919 and Simbaboy like this.
  7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    #7 fotomoto, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    scona and Simbaboy like this.
  8. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You have to take into account that a 7-year old car will have many failings. Some will be from the 230,000 miles of use, such as suspension parts, tires, brakes, drivetrain, and mechanical parts such as pedal interfaces, bearings, etc. Others will be from the aging of plastic and rubber parts that deteriorate over time, even if the car is garaged. And it appears that you are in Michigan. Salt damage should be a consideration, as well. For me, I'd not even look at such a vehicle.

9. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agree with William and Doug above. If you're not into diy projects, I'd advise against this one. If it doesn't need work now, it probably will need it pretty soon.

10. Simbaboy

Simbaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Seller sent me the following: Standard trim, non-touring.

The car had included with it leather seats, JBL speakers/premium sound, multi-disc changer (I added the XM), Navigation, BlueTooth; alarm system; backup camera; fog lights

Condition of the car is good both internally and externally - no rust or damage other than normal wear and tear, and even that normal wear and tear is low. It needs new tires, and the driver side door does not lock with the key FOB. Dealership says that will cost about $300 to fix. Once it's fixed, that would allow you to approach the door from the driver side and it would automatically unlock without having to get your keys out of your pocket. This function still works for the passenger side. And the driver door locks manually even without the repair.

Attached is what KBB says for Trade-In to Private Party and to Dealer.

He also included KBB trade in values and retail values. average trade in value=$2500, average retail: $4100

I am going to have to think hard about this and my gut is saying to walk away unless I get the car close to the trade in value. I am sure no dealership will pay him $2500 in trade value unless they jack up the new car price.

Thank you,
    Simba

CarStalker likes this.
  11. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't forget that AVERAGE means that 50% of the sales are higher and 50% are lower. Paying $2500 does not necessarily equal a good buy. Don't forget that if 0.0005% of people die from gunshot wounds inflicted by a dog carrying a pistol in its mouth, it is still 100% for the those that die that way.

12. Simbaboy

Simbaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went for a long test drive with the Seller. The car drove very well and I had a very good feeling for the Seller.
    I was able to make a decent deal for the car (it needs new tires and the driver side door requires the key to be inserted to unlock--the other doors open automatically as soon as I touch the driver side door).

I got a whole folder of print outs for regular maintenance. The Seller took the car to Belle Tire for maintenance and strut/shock repair.

Thank you to all and will post questions and I appreciate your assistance.

Simba

CarStalker likes this.
  13. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    According to Edmunds.com, the only car pricing site I trust, a 2009 Prius in average condition with the amenities and mileage you listed is worth $3000 from a private seller. It sounds like it's just about fully loaded with options!

2008 & 2009 models have done the best so far regarding hybrid batteries. Since batteries wear more based on time and environment than miles driven, my guess is you've got three or more good years on the car before that even needs to be a thought. Also, 2009 Prius models have one of the highest reliabilities of any model year Prius. That's why I got a 2009 model a few weeks ago myself.

The downside in your case is the high mileage and the possibility if structural damage from the accident where the owner replaced the fender. If the car has a salvage title or similar, I'd walk away. It would also be worth it to have it checked out by a Toyota dealer to check if all recalls have been performed and to check the mechanical and structural condition of the car. If the Toyota dealer passes it, you've got a good car. If not, walk away.

Simbaboy likes this.
  14. kinglew

kinglew Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    1000 at best

15. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Late to the party as usual. :rolleyes:

16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bob Wilson had his 2010 with 73k miles listed for less than $5800

17. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why so "cheap"? Something must have been wrong with it.

18. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No way.
    Run.....
    Quickly.

19. Simbaboy

Simbaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am really liking the car a lot.

It has been 16-18 deg F ambient and my MPG average over 200 Miles is 38 (I am very happy with this). This is with very heavy use of the heater and defrosters.

I also was able to score 4 X like new wheels with like new Winter tires for $300. No TMP sensors so out came a little piece of electrical tape.

A couple of minor issues (well known to you)
    :
    1. I filled the tank (topped off without spilling) and I am not not getting all the pips --I am getting one less than I should. I think. I will look at the downloaded manual. I need to buy a hard copy.
    2. The Driver's side lock/unlock switch does not work with the key fob but does work manually with the key.

But otherwise love the car.

Simba

[​IMG]

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    go for it, you only go around once!(y)

Simbaboy likes this.