1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I bought a prius in North Carolina with California Emissions and the cat went bad! P0420

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Buzzedwin, Jun 15, 2022.

1. Buzzedwin

Buzzedwin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi everyone, it's amazing how everyone is so helpful and highly knowledgeable on this forum.

I need some advice on what to do with my situation... soo here we go.

I bought a 2005 Toyota prius in North Carolina for $1500 with a bad hybrid battery and no catalytic converter because it was stolen. So I installed a refurbished battery and new aftermarket converter. The car drives great but I kept getting a check engine light come on for code P0420. So than I bought another converter and installed it. I also changed the O2 sensors . The code kept coming back.. and just today I look under the hood. It's a damn California emissions vehicle! No wonder my codes kept coming back.

At this point I realize I need a CA CONVERTER for my car and I have to go with either the magnaflow , OEM toyota converter or buy a used California converter and weld it back to pass inspection.

I just want to pass inspection so I get my license plate and drive like a normal person.

Since I live in north carolina is there any way to change my Sulev II CA emission to Federal emission standards? Or do I have to switch my entire engine to do that? Also does anyone know what's the cheapest option to buy california converter other than the ones I mentioned above.

I don't know to do now. I am begging for help I really can't afford a new converter since it cost more than what I paid for the whole car.

Can anyone tell me what's the best option for my situation? Anything can help, please and thank you.

#1 Buzzedwin, Jun 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You can get a rider in NC and bypass all that. It's up to you . County please?

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    AFAIK, all US models have the same equipment. If you install an OEM cat, it should work unless there's something else wrong. But the OEM is crazy expensive, which is why they get stolen so much. If you put in an aftermarket CAT, as I believe you can in NC since it's not a CARB state, then the O2 sensor will need a spacer to work right. That's what we do in our shop.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    And they make spacers with cat materials in the spacer too .I have one sitting right in front of me now .

Meg&Bear likes this.
  5. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I would check and probably replace the upstream oxygen sensor, since the system compares the downstream sensor that you replaced to determine the efficiency of the emission system.

OEM sensors might also be in order.

#5 Georgina Rudkus, Jun 15, 2022
  6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    We have no emissions in Orange county NC . You should come down and register your car here in Orange like you're going to school at UNC chapel Hill for a few years and just renew your registration anywhere you are online and anywhere you are in the state you will get an Orange county inspection like you're sitting in Orange county which is turn on the lights and the turn signals and honk the horn and check the brake lights call the safety inspection we don't have emissions in Orange county as you can see why just in this post

Meg&Bear likes this.
  7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The code would have come up with a NC car as well once the cheap aftermarket cat was installed.

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes my statement here is Orange county North Carolina just doesn't have emissions the light can be on in Orange county North Carolina and you are passing your inspection a check engine light ABS light those orange lights are not valid in my county in North Carolina the car has to be running have turn signals lights horn I think that's all that's required for safety inspection in Orange county North Carolina that check engine light is on the inspector has to disregard it that it needs engine or some kind of service is no regard to our inspection process as it should be

9. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe that was true in some cars decades ago... Never once read on here that a Prius sold in California is different than a Prius sold in other states. They're all the same. The only differences are warranty coverage and if you get your cat stolen in California you can't use a cheap aftermarket cat. But in general aftermarket cats aren't supposed to cause that error code.

As for eliminating P0420, maybe there's an issue with your upstream O2 sensor?

Also a tune up might help (clean MAF sensor & throttle body, new spark plugs & air filter.

Have you disconnected the 12v yet to see how long it takes for error code to come back after you reset all the systems and their settings?

If all else fails you can also buy a coupling that screws into downstream 02 sensor hole so the sensor sits back further and gets less of a whiff of exhaust fumes to keep the light out.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  10. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    You've got bad sensor(s); sensors in the wrong place, downstream sensor rewired incorrectly or any combination of the previously mentioned. This wouldn't be the first time someone put a downstream sensor in the upstream position. I've even seen the wrong sensor in the wrong box - I'm assuming someone bought it and returned it; numbers on sensor didn't match those on the box...

double-check everything.

#10 BiomedO1, Jun 15, 2022
    PriusCamper likes this.
  11. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    #11 TMR-JWAP, Jan 19, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2023