1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I bought BobD's broken 2001 Prius

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by trseven, Feb 9, 2011.

1. trseven

trseven Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello all,
    After a 800 mile trip with a trailer to pick it up last week I've started looking into the problem Bob discribed in his "Mechanical or electrical?" post. So far I've followed the 3100 code, online is said Hybrid Vehicle ECU failure. Checked for more codes with the scanguage II, but had none. Picked up a replacement HV ECU at a local junkyard and installed it this morning. Reconnected the 12V and turned the key. The triangle of death is gone, all I have now is a check engine light. Car still won't start. I am holding the brake when I attempt to start. The main battery is showing 75% charge. Hooked up the scan guage and didn't have any codes. Used the one CMD from Vincent on getting the SGII to display DTCs. All three are 0000. Also tried the first INF with Xguage. Also shows zero. I'm leaning toward possibly needing a engine ECU. Is there any where else I can look for a code or clear the check engine light?

Thanks!
    Gerry

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the check engine light is on then the engine ECU has logged a DTC.

You can clear the DTC by disconnecting the 12V battery but it sounds like you've already done that this morning, so the engine ECU still has noticed a problem that warrants a DTC.

If you want to make some progress on this you'll need a better means to read the DTC or else tow the car to your local Toyota dealer.

3. trseven

trseven Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okay, got lucky and solved this one on my own. Read online that after replacing the HV ECU you need to hook up a charger to the 12V battery, turn the key to on for 30 minutes. This allows the new HV ECU to recognize the key, sync itself with the key, and reset the immobilizer code. I did this and the car started right up. I did have a PS warning light with the triangle. I shut the car off and turned it back on and those were gone. Drove the car and yes it does have a growl in the left front. Will look into that, Bob did say they replaced that wheel bearing, I'm hoping that they didn't do it right!

Thanks!
    Gerry

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good for you. I'm interested to hear what the source of the LF growl sound is.

The power steering light may return, if the electric steering gear needs to be replaced.

5. trseven

trseven Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bob did say it was on its 3rd rack. He said he didn't get the PS light till he ran it with the wheels off the ground. Hoping 3rd time is charm! When I did get it started the traction battery showed 50%, not bad for sitting since January 1st. It charged up and we took it for a drive. This was my first Prius drive. Very happy to have it back on the road. Will start figuring out the growl. Will keep you posted!

Gerry

6. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Great work!

1 person likes this.
  7. trseven

trseven Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Andy!
    I drove it to work Friday, city streets to and interstate back. 25 mile round trip. Noise didn't get any louder but on the way home it changed causing me to slow down. Jacked the front end up to look things over and the wheel nuts on both front wheels were just hand tight! I swapped the left front tire with the right rear, no change in noise but the crunchy sound I got on the way home from work is gone. So took the family out to eat last night, probably 20 mile round trip almost all interstate. At 60mph it actually doesn't sound as loud. The noise didn't ever get any louder and the car drove fine. I'll order a couple of front wheel bearing and replace them. The thing is I don't want to stop driving it.

Also I had read the 2001's didn't come with cruise control. With the stuff I got is the original window sticker, didn't mention cruise but I do have it. Probably added by a previous owner? Works good though and very happy to have it!

Thanks!
    Gerry

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In my book, that is scary. You're lucky you didn't have a wheel come off.

9. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Note to self: check lug nuts on any future car I acquire!

Good work trseven!

1 person likes this.
  10. trseven

trseven Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks again for the replies! I removed the left front wheel assemble today. I feel lucky I didn't break anything. Man those nuts and bolts were rusty! Must be those Minnesota winters! Lots of Kroil spray and took my time removed all the rusty bolts. Inspection of the bearing after removal showed rust between the bearing and the axle assembly. Looks like water got into the bearing. (this bearing was Dealer replaced at less than 20K ago) Will remove the old and press in the new bearing, but I am wondering how this setup is suppose to keep the bearing sealed. Will need to clean up the end of the axle shaft also. Plus all the bolts and nuts are getting a coating of anti-seize. I was going to replace both wheel bearings but for now I think I'll just do the one and see how it is.

Gerry

11. trseven

trseven Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okay, didn't fix it. Has me scratching my head though. If you weave the car left and right going down the road the pitch of the sound changes. Sounds like its coming from the left front, maybe its the right one? Already have the bearing, will plan on replacing that one next Friday/Saturday. Will make use of the scan guage in the mean time to monitor the MG1 and MG2 temp to see if there is anything unusual. I did have to replace the rotor also, the back side was 1/2 rusted away!

Gerry

12. trseven

trseven Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Replaced the right front wheel bearing today, and it was the source of the noise. I feel very lucky! I really like the car now that it's nice and quiet.

Gerry

1 person likes this.