1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I bought car at 98K; should I do a 100K servicing of the car now?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Nihan, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Nihan

Nihan New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all,

I bought a 2012 Prius about a month and a half ago. It had about 98K miles on it, and now it has about 98.5K.

Since winter is coming, I was wondering if I should jump the gun and do a 100K servicing right now instead of waiting till I hit 100K. This would be more convenient as when I drop my car off to replace my tires (all-season to all-weather).

This is my first ever car, so I'm not sure what to expect for a 100K servicing. I also do not know where to find the relevant information in the owners manual.

Here's what was done to the car by the dealer before I bought it:

MULTI-POINT INSPECTION ~|~MULTI-POINT INSPECTION ~|~PERFORMED MULTI-POINT INSPECTION INCLUDED INSPECTION OF DRIVERS SIDE FLOOR MAT FOR PROPER INSTALLATION

OIL CHANGE/TIRE ROTATION/MULTI-POINT INSPECTION/BATTERY CHECK.

REPLACE ENGINE AIR FILTER ~|~REPLACE ENGINE AIR FILTER ~|~REPLACED ENGINE AIR FILTER

TUNE-UP ~|~TUNE-UP ~|~REPLACE SPARK PLUGS, CHECK ENGINE SPECS, CHECK AIR FILTER AND ROAD TEST

B/G BRAKE FLUID FLUSH ~|~B/G BRAKE FLUID FLUSH ~|~POWER FLUSH COMPLETE BRAKE SYSTEM AND INSTALL BG DOT 4HIGH-TEMPERATURE BRAKE FLUID

Thanks for your help

2. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Welcome to Priuschat!
    The big service interval for the Prius is at 120K miles.
    - Change the plugs (already done)
    - Change the coolant for both Engine and Inverter. They have separate systems.
    - Change oil, and filter
    - Change air filter
    - Perform brake service

Other items to consider
    - Clean EGR System (pipe, valve, and cooler)
    - Change the transaxle fluid
    - Clean the Intake Manifold and Throttle Body
    - Replace the PCV valve.

Also look at @NutzAboutBolts videos elsewhere in PC G3 Maintenance section.

Good luck with your Prius. ;)

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You won't find anything in the Owner's Manual: the service schedule is in the Warranty and Maintenance Booklet. If it's missing you can download from Toyota Tech Info, in the "Manuals" section.

Spec is DOT3. I'm not sure of the ramifications of going to DOT4, it might be ok. Maybe research, and others may comment here too.

I believe that's not due till 120K (or 12 years, whichever comes first). Not big deal though.

Just to clarify: at least for the US schedule the engine coolant is at 100K miles (or 10 years), then at 150K miles (or 15 years) it's the inverter coolant and the engine coolant again. Then for both it's 50K (or 5 years) thereafter.

FYI, the Canadian Schedule makes no distinction between the two circuits, says to change both at 160K kms (or 10 years), then subsequently every 80K kms (or 5 years). Then, there's the sticker on my inverter coolant reservoir, that contradicts Toyota Canada, says don't change the inverter coolant until 150K miles (no months stipulation):

IMG_9471.JPG

So pick your poison I guess.

Here's a screengrab of a spreadsheet I did of the US Maintenance Schedule, easier to read, see the patterns, compared to the Toyota publication, which is event-by-event. I'll attach various file formats too:

upload_2018-10-12_19-15-23.png

Attached Files:

#3 Mendel Leisk, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  4. Nihan

Nihan New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for your detailed replies everyone! I'm sorry for the late reply, but I hadn't checked this website in a while and only got around to doing it now that my Prius has hit 100K and is up for the servicing.

Based on the replies and Toyota's recommendation, I'm planning to do the following for the 100K service, while pushing everything else up to the 120K servicing:

- Change the coolant for Engine (not Inverter, Toyota's says do this at 150K)
    - Change oil, and filter
    - Change air filter
    - Perform brake service

Thanks again everyone!

RMB, Bay Stater and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Toyota needs to recheck, it’s 120,000 mi.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure what you mean. They (Toyota USA) say 100k for engine coolant and 150k for inverter (or 10 and 15 years, respectively). And 50k subsequently, for both (or 5 years).

RMB likes this.