1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I broke it!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriuStorm, Oct 19, 2007.

1. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wow, I sure didn't expect this to happen! I had bought a GPS through CostCo and finally received it a few days ago (had been on backorder for like a month). Anyway, it comes with a MSN Direct subscription, so I went to plug in the power adapter (the antenna for the MSN Direct is built in to the 12V power adapter) to initialize my subscription, but it sure is a tight fit for the plug in the outlet under the center compartment.

I quickly regret having plugged in the plug under the center console as I have an incredibly difficult time pulling the plug back out, but eventually manage to do so. I then plug it in to the outlet by the front passenger. However, the unit still can not find the MSN signal.

On the phone with the help people for MSN, they recommend I move the unit to a different car to figure out if the problem of the unit not finding the MSN signal is the GPS unit itself, the antenna in the plug, or the car outlet itself. When I reach down to unplug the plug, it is again very tight. I rotate and pull, gently but firmly, and then feel a sudden release. To my astonishment, the outlet has completely pulled out of the dash, plug still firmly seated inside, wires dangling from the dash. I drive to the dealer's, who manages to set the outlet back in there, but it still pulls back out, so they are going to order a new outlet and replace it.

Has this ever happened to anyone? I did try the plug in my Honda Accord, and although the fit is firm, it is no where near as tight as it was in the Prius (both outlets), meaning that the plug would much more easily pull back out of the outlet in the Honda than in the Prius. Are the outlets undersized? I am concerned that when the dealer replaces the outlet, this will be a problem that will repeat itself because, again, I found that both outlets were very tight. Thoughts?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow... I believe you're the first case on PC.

Yeah it's a tight fit but mine never came out even when I yank whatever's plugged in there firmly.

3. ghopper01

ghopper01 New Member

Happened to me this past Wednesday. However, I didn’t pull hard enough to pull it out of the dash, had to use pliers and a screw driver to remove it. My GPS is a Garmin.

4. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Grasshopper 01 @ Oct 19 2007, 08:33 AM) [snapback]527711[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, mine is a Garmin, too. I asked the dealer mechanic if the plug was oversized and he said no, that it was just because the springs are so tight and not worn in yet. I had the dealer mechanic put the plug in himself to feel it, and he agreed it was very tight. That's when we discovered that it would still pull back out. I wonder if there's some kind of way to wear those springs in... When I push them in, there is no way that I can get them flush with the body. I suppose I can squeeze them with pliers to soften them up a bit...

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My 12V socket on the dash tries to come out any time I remove a plug from it. It's been that way since the Prius was new.

Tom

6. Miss_Taz

Miss_Taz New Member

I think the hole is undersized, because I have the same issue with my iPOD recharger. When I go to remove it from the hole under the glovebox, I really have to try to push back on the metal ring so the whole contraption doesn't rip out of the dash.

Until now, I thought maybe it was my iPOD charger, but now I'm seeing a pattern! :blink:

-Vikki

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    There are actually two sizes for 12V cig. lighter plugs. I have a plastic "adapter" to enlarge the smaller one so it fits in the larger one. It slips over the body of the plug.

I'd use some glue to hold the socket in the dash. If you use silicone rubber, it will still be possible to remove it if it ever fails, but it will hold it in a little better. I'm thinking a nice bead in behind around the body against the dash plastic.

A very quick and easy solution is an "extension cable". Plug that into the dash and leave it there. It will allow you to position the antenna/plug higher in the car, where it might get a better signal. You are aware the plug is off unless the car is on, right?

8. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Oct 19 2007, 11:26 AM) [snapback]527783[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I am aware of that... I did actually drive around town for about 45 mins looking for a signal prior to calling the MSN people (and had spoken to them the day before and been assured that we should have strong signal in my town).

About the bead of glue... I kind of feel it's a new car and should not have this problem. I mean, when the thing fell out and I could see the back end of it, it has a tiny little plastic tab thing that looks like it's intended to 'snap' behind something to keep in place. Well that thing is pretty flimsy. Really seems like a cheap design.

9. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The same thing happened to me shortly after I got my Prius a couple of years ago. An inverter fitted really tightly. When I pulled it out, the whole plug came out and disconnected the wire. Had to remove the panel to put it all back together.

Bad design...