1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I broke my passenger rear view mirror

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mywhitenoise, May 16, 2007.

1. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was pulling out of the garage, and I thought I had enough room to pull out. There's so much crap in my garage, I didn't really have a choice, it was either hitting my mirror, or hitting the rear bumper. It barely hit the side of the garage, and it snapped all the way forward. I tried to find any loose pieces, all I could find was the large outer shell. The mirror is fine, and the outer shell barely got any damage, just some scuff marks, but the black frame that holds the 2 together is cracked on the bottom right, and the mirror is a little out of place. The electronics still work. I didn't want to mess with it any more because I was already late for the bus.
    Do you know how much it will cost just to replace part of that black frame? Toyota doesn't open for another 2 hours, and i'm hoping they don't say it's going to cost $300 to repair.

2. mpgFanatic

mpgFanatic New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mywhitenoise @ May 16 2007, 11:12 AM) [snapback]443340[/snapback]</div>
    I think you are OK on this one. I estimate it will definitely be less than $300.

3. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mpgFanatic @ May 16 2007, 10:16 AM) [snapback]443346[/snapback]</div>

Toyota says you can only buy the whole mirror, which is $226.19, no way am I paying that. What an outrageous price.

4. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota is very expensive on parts. Don't lose your smart key. :angry:

5. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom 6850 @ May 16 2007, 11:15 AM) [snapback]443399[/snapback]</div>
    Or your navigation disc.

6. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    or the antenna >.<.

8. mpgFanatic

mpgFanatic New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mywhitenoise @ May 16 2007, 12:12 PM) [snapback]443397[/snapback]</div>
    Yea? And a it is also pretty outrageous that you can't pull your car out of the garage without knocking the mirror off. But we'll blame Toyota!

9. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My wife broke the mirror itself on her Ford Windstar. I just wanted to get a mirror to attach to the mounting plate, but that wasn't possible. It was $450 for a new assembly.

10. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mpgFanatic @ May 16 2007, 11:39 AM) [snapback]443445[/snapback]</div>

How am I blaming Toyota for what happened to my car? It's outrageous that I have to pay for the whole thing, when the only thing that's damaged is the black frame. If you read what I wrote, there was a ton of stuff left in the garage, flooring panels for downstairs, and about 20 bins with a bunch of crap in them. I've driven in and out of it well enough to avoid anything major before, I even looked this morning and thought I had enough room, but I barely hit it, and that made all the difference. Get off your high horse.
    It's funny that you're offended that I said it's 'outrageous' for Toyota to ask for so much. All companies try to screw you, stop thinking they're your friends.

11. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    mywhitenoise:

When I was ugrading my audio, i dropped the tweeter clip into the mirror housing and had to remove the mirror. When I put it back I tightened one of the bolts too tight and it broke off. I was able to get replacement bolts from Steve at : http://www.autobeyours.com/ He specializes in salvaged Pri and might be able to get you either the parts or a complete mirror for you. You can email him or call him at the number listed on his site. He is a very nice reputable guy based on my dealings with him! I hope that helps.

12. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ May 16 2007, 12:32 PM) [snapback]443489[/snapback]</div>

Thank you! I'll email him right away.

::edit:: He didn't have any available, but I will definitely keep that site handy, just in case any other accidents happen.

13. FL Buckeye

FL Buckeye Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There's a right side mirror for sale on eBay for $99 plus shipping. It's tan in color but you can still use the part of your mirror that's painted if it's not damaged. Item number 260117146785, and still has 36 hours to go. Good luck.

14. singingtiger

singingtiger New Member

In early November last year I came outside to where my Prius was parked on the street and found my driver's side rear-view mirror was vandalized into a few dozen pieces.

Local dealer price to replace and install was around $400!!

The unit is part of the black frame that sits vertical along the front of the side window. The dealer wanted just $30 for the plastic cover but I decided to epoxy mine and use it. I happened to have two discount coupons, one on parts and the other on labor so I still ended up paying $300.

When I went to pick up the car, the mechanic did not finish putting the inside door buttons in so the unit would not work--so had the service manager get the mechanic to finish the job!!

Police report filed and unfortunately seems two young men have been going around town re-designing other brands side mirrors also.

Ouch, but mirrors cost less to replace than the headlights!

15. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(singingtiger @ May 16 2007, 07:29 PM) [snapback]443857[/snapback]</div>
    Since they know it was "two young men", does that mean they caught them?
    I hope so.

Dave M.