1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I can't believe I've been hit.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Godiva, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was hit this morning on my way to work.

You'll never believe how.

I was "front ended". That's right. The guy backed into my front end. This moron didn't want to wait for the left hand light to turn green, so he decides to back up and go around.

I am so pissed. Who is going to believe that I didn't rear end him? He can claim I hit him and who is going to believe me?

Witnesses? Well, sure. They all went around and drove off when the light turned green. Everyone's on the way to work.Who wants to stop and give their name and phone number as a witness?

He was in a Ford Explorer Sport Trac. No damage to his truck, of course.

But he crumpled my hood and broke my hood deflector. And of course, I'll be in a rental car for who knows how long? I am ready to sue the guy not only for the hood but for a rental car. Who knows how long it is going to take to fix?

What kind of moron backs into someone at a left hand turn lane?

2. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 8 2007, 10:02 AM) [snapback]372461[/snapback]</div>
    A busy narcassist that thinks "It's won't happen to me". {sigh}

Hope it gets fixed soon.

3. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 8 2007, 11:02 AM) [snapback]372461[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe he's got a history of doing this sort of thing. Presumably the insurer or the police would know this. Would they tell you if they do?

4. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am so sorry to hear this Godiva. I hope you got his information (I am assuming he stopped after he hit you?).

5. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Godiva,

Well at least you had a Prius to protect you! A guy in town here bought a new large pickup truck, and was standing on the sidewalk in front of the dealership waiting for delivery next to his son. The dealership porter backed the thing right over him and killed him, with his son watching.

6. Loveit

Loveit New Member

If he left you and didn't give your insurance information, if you had his tag, then you could report him for hit and run. Hopefully that might help.

But then again, I hear most police will not come unless there is personal injury.

But in any case, you should call your insurance company and report it, especially if: 1) you should suffer pains as a result, then PIP should cover it, 2) he might get cited if he left you there, it would be consider a hit & run then, wouldn't it?

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I saw a guy in a very large truck-with-"bed storage camper thingy" roll too far in a left turn lane and into the intersection. It took him a while to realize that he had a turn light and that he'd already missed the turn light. To clear the intersection, and apparently in a panic, he threw it into reverse and backed up briskly. By that time, here was a tiny little sports car in the turn lane behind him and this guy's rear bumper went about halfway up the hood while the driver was screaming and honking.

I'm glad you're okay, Godiva. I certainly hope he doesn't try to screw you. Did the police come? I didn't see mention in your post.

8. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I'm very sorry Godiva. Fools to the left, and fools to the right is a known saying, now fools in front too. Fools everywhere you turn . Read 'A confederacy of Dunces"

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I got all his information (including the VIN number, it was on the insurance) and have already reported it to my company.

No, the police don't come when there are no injuries.

No injuries, no airbags deployed. No noticeable damage to *his* vehicle but mine will need a new hood. Thankfully both lights are fine. It's driveable but it pisses me off I'm going to be without my car for several weeks. I'm wondering if I can rent a Prius anywhere and make his insurance pay for the rental car.

My insurance company says I have to wait to see what report he makes to his insurance company and if they assume responsibility. Like I say, I so expect him to lie and say I rear-ended him. Who would believe he "front ended" me? It was just so totally stupid. But I am so ready to take him to court if he tries to weasel out of this. It's a moving violation to back up in a traffic lane.

I'll have to wait for the adjusters from both his and my insurance co. to look at it, but I think I might go get an estimate this week without waiting. I had to tell the girl twice that the car is under warranty and must be repaired by a certified Toyota repair place.

Oh, and let's add the depreciation on my car for being in an accident.

10. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 8 2007, 02:24 PM) [snapback]372543[/snapback]</div>
    There is a possibility it might have been captured on a red-light traffic cam. Probably a longhshot, but maybe worth a call.
    http://www.sandiego.gov/engineering-cip/se...photo/faq.shtml

11. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Jan 8 2007, 11:33 AM) [snapback]372474[/snapback]</div>
    I think this is a good observation; true in many instances.

12. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 8 2007, 10:24 AM) [snapback]372543[/snapback]</div>
    I doubt you'll get anything for the depreciation. You'll get the car fixed (after a while) and that's about it. I've been through more of these than I care to recount, and I've never yet seen any allowance for depreciation. If you want that, you probably do have to take him to court. And with no witnesses (your word against his), you may not prevail there. Besides: if the damage is cosmetic (no bent frame) the car will be as good as new once the body shop is done with it. I doubt that you'll lose that much on depreciation in that case.

In your situation, I would wait to see how it shakes out. Maybe the guy will do the right thing and accept responsibility; in that case, I wouldn't threaten to take him to court, because that may force him to blame you after all. If he blames you anyway, then you have to evaluate what to do. You may want to advertise for witnesses in that case.

My experience is that these things usually work out, and the insurance companies do a pretty good job of settling matters. Unfortunately, they have their own time constant, which is never as fast as you would like. Nonetheless, there is little you can do to hurry things along, so you might as well relax and go with the flow.
    Sucks to be in a rental car for 2 or three weeks, but you'll survive it

13. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 8 2007, 11:02 AM) [snapback]372461[/snapback]</div>
    That really sucks. You are in the proverbial "rock and a hard place". Same thing happened to me in a McDonalds parking lot years ago. Someone was behind me (so I was "trapped") and a truck in front of me backed into my Nissan pickup and did $1,500 damage. Two people came out of the truck and "just couldn't believe I hit them". I knew then this could be very expensive for me. Just like you no damage to their vehicle.

I did manage to get the police at the scene and surprisingly to me the people who hit me changed their story and admitted backing up into me. I got real lucky. But they could have easily lied and I would have been screwed.

You could take them to court but that would again be your word against theirs. Just like you stated "what kind of moron backs into someone at a left hand turn lane?" is exactly what the Judge will think and probably look at your story with skepticism. Plus going to court can be expensive and very time consuming.

Your probably going to have to pay for this one out of your pocket. I would be wary of submitting a claim to your insurance company. You may end up paying more in the future due to increased policy rates.

Let us know how it works out.

Rick
    #4 2006

14. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Insurance companies appear to be treating Prii owners with respect. I was driving my 2005 on 22 October when I was hit by a careless and reckless illegal alien driver with no seat belts, license or insurance. As I was hit, my response was "this is totally unnecessary." Liberty Mutual came through and me full value for the totalled vehicle, including sales tax and waived the deductible. My replacement fully loaded 2007 just turned 1600 miles.

A close friend parked his car in the "far" end of a parking lot to avoid the door ding nomes. Walking away to the big box store he noticed a woman pulled into the parking slot next to his. She opened the driver's door and banged hard into his 2006 Prius. He approached the vehicle (as she was preparing to leave without any appropriate action) and asked about what she was doing. Her response, "It's only a scratch, you can buff it out."

End result, the "scratch" cost $1500 to repair because the "scratch" went all the way to the metal. His insurance company stood solidly behind him and his Prius is now repaired.

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Well, just be glad the air bags didn't go off. That additional damage would have most likely caused your insurance company to write it off as a 'total'.

16. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kimgh @ Jan 8 2007, 01:50 PM) [snapback]372555[/snapback]</div>
    I have to agree here. While I'm constantly amazed at how people try to get away with stuff, I'm usually equally amazed when they do the right thing. I think people are getting more familiar with the idea of karma these days...and yes, I'm an optimist.

Sorry you got hit, though. It's a terrible feeling.

17. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Been through it and I can recommend a great sheet metal shop in SD if you're interested. Perhaps the "black box" or whatever memory is kept in the onboard systems can be used as evidence. Don't wait too long as it will eventually overwrite. Presumably, you'd have to get all legal to get his if it existed.

In the words of Hawkeye, "it's just a material object; it has no intrinsic value; besides, it yours."

18. scrivener

scrivener New Member

Were you stopped? The "black box" records the speed at which you were traveling when the impact ocurred, so this would come out in your favor. Your dealer should be able to tell you what the black box will indicate.

I got wacked by a shopping cart a woman let roll down a hill and slam into car, leaving a $640 dent. She fessed up, but letting me know she didn't have any money, was divorced, single mom, out of work, and would I accept a second hand table as compensation. I just had to let it go.

19. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Your probably going to have to pay for this one out of your pocket. I would be wary of submitting a claim to your insurance company. You may end up paying more in the future due to increased policy rates.

Let us know how it works out.

Rick
    #4 2006
    [/quote]

I suppose this depends on your insurance company, but a reputable one, if they believe your story, will NOT raise your rates for this.

I had a case a few years ago where I was turning right onto a street from a company driveway. I was focused on traffic to my left, and completely missed the fact that there was a flatbed truck backing across the driveway from my right. I pulled out, and WHAM! I think it was $7K in damage, at least. Another driver for the truck company was present shortly after and assured me that his driver was at fault and the company would make it good.

Cop came to the scene; he didn't cite either of us, but in his report made the whole thing my fault for "failing to yield to oncoming traffic." He was either an idiot or on the take (and I really suspect the latter, though of course cannot prove it).

My insurance company (bless them) thought that was crazy and fixed my car, didn't charge the deductible, and didn't raise my rates. They sought arbitration with the trucker's insurance and settled for a 50/50 split.
    I insure with Allstate. Maybe more expensive than some alternatives, but they sure have gone to bat for me over the years.

20. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :angry: What a DRAG!! Hope your Prius repair is perfect.

I sometimes get puzzled/irritated looks at traffic signals when I don't pull up snugly close to the car ahead of me. I kinda got in a habit of leaving a bit more clearance after my first [2004] Prius since the front of the hood is not visible from the driver's position. I retained that habit. I also watch the backup lights on the car ahead. If I see a backup light come on, I sit on the horn and flash my headlights hoping to get the attention of the driver. The 6 to 8 feet I leave as a cushion has probably saved a few 'bumper bumps'.