1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I can't compress front caliper back in

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by zfk110, Dec 9, 2023.

1. zfk110

zfk110 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The piston of the front caliper on my 2010 Prius has become completely dislodged due to a leaking rubber gasket. Despite my efforts, I'm unable to reposition it. Should I consider using specific tools to aid in pushing it back into place? Are there any instructional videos available?

Regarding the repair kit I used to replace the seal, it appears to be the "Frt Brake Caliper Kit Carlson 15254."

#1 zfk110, Dec 9, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The problem’s with the rubber gasket around the caliper piston; it’s pushed out somehow?

Did you maybe have the caliper off without disconnecting battery, had the system pressurize?

zfk110 likes this.
  3. zfk110

zfk110 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't replaced that rubber; it appears to be slightly misaligned within the piston.

4. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Unless your familiar with rebuilding brake calibers and have done it several times without killing someone - go get a replacement assembly. If you scar the piston or damage the seal while forcing it back in - you can send your car into a spin.
    Now that the warnings are out of the way - did you disconnect the battery and remove the brake fluid reservoir cap?

Hope this helps..

Brian1954 and zfk110 like this.
  5. zfk110

zfk110 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you maybe have the caliper off without disconnecting battery, had the system pressurize? Yes

did you disconnect the battery and remove the brake fluid reservoir cap? NO

I have a techsteam so I can bleed the system again later on, when getting this done.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    1. disconnect the battery and remove the reservoir cap.
    2. realign the piston and seals - use a C-clamp to push back the piston. You should be able to hand-crank the piston back. If you need to use any sort or lever on the C-clamp - something is hung-up. Replace the entire caliper assembly.

Hope this helps

zfk110 likes this.
  7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If you're talking about the piston to housing rubber seal you realize that slips onto the lip of the piston and then squeezes in to the circled area in the remainder of the caliper and it generally just pushes in very nicely You shouldn't have to beat on it or any of that stuff and of course like most people are saying a remanned caliper online is 50 bucks and in store at advance Auto is 69 if you bring your old one just leave it and take the new one there's always that I've put a buttload of the seals in all kinds of these cars The Prius isn't special other than you need to make sure the 12 volt is disconnected or the key fob is away from the car and no one's going to get in the car and step on the pedal or play games then everything will stay copesthetic while you remove the caliper have the other one sitting right there screw it on open the zerk on the new caliper you just screwed on Wait till fluid bubbles up out of it close the zerk mount the caliper And you really should not have to bleed anything If you're worried about that before you touch anything after you mount the caliper have the pads in have everything together crack the zerk again and watch for the steady rhythmic drip if any air comes it'll look like a mouth is blowing a chewing gum bubble and pop and then the drips will go back to the same speed they were close the zerk and I'll get in the car and step on the pedal see if it feels like it normally does with the car off stepping on the pedal start the car move it a little and see what you got You're probably good to go.

8. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you sure you have the correct kit for that caliper?
    You said it was misaligned.
    If you have the correct kit, you'll need to set the piston with seal in place.
    Make sure it's evenly positions, then press on it. You can use a PLASTIC tool, like used
    for taking about iPhones, iPad, etc., and press the seal into the cylinder. Make sure you applied
    brake fluid around the cylinder wall and lip, and also on the piston and seal.

The plastic is less likely to damage the seal, just take your time and go easy.
    You can also apply a clamp, as stated above, but clamp just enough to hold the piston in place.
    Once you have the seal in the cylinder, you can slowly tighten the clamp. You can also tap the caliper
    with a plastic hammer or the wooded handle of a metal hammer lightly, this will sometime rattle the
    seal so it will equal out making it easier to press in with the clamp.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Also, when pushing in the front caliper pistons, If you're using something like a C-clamp, put some sort of shim, say wood, that covers the full face of the piston: it's plastic, can be cracked by a point load.

CR94 and BiomedO1 like this.
  10. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Sorry, My bad - I use one of the old brake pads to redistribute the load across the piston.
    I've done it so many times, I don't even think about it anymore.....