1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I can't hear you!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by blueumbrella, Sep 24, 2009.

1. blueumbrella

blueumbrella Member of Prius Regeneration

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw this short article in the paper and was wondering what kind of sound I would like my car to make, if it has to make one to let others know I am close by. I realize the hybrid and electric vehicles pose a risk to both sighted and sightless folks, but I enjoy the sound of the ICE not running and I am not sure what sound I would want to replace that.

For me, it should be a universal sound, something that does not startle, would slowly grow louder, stop and maybe start again. I came up with a number of possibilities but none met all these criteria and then I remembered the solution has already been invented - the iFart iPhone app!!

In Japan, electric cars may be too quiet
    The Japanese government has set up a panel with automakers, organizations for the blind and consumer groups to address worries that blind people may be endangered due to the silence of hybrid and electric cars. A solution may have such vehicles emitting what sounds like engine noise or musical sounds like a cell-phone ring-tone, officials say. Such measures may be available on Toyotas like the Prius going on sale in 2010, possibly with radar to sense nearby pedestrians and making noise only at slow speeds.
    --Associated Press