1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I can't set "home" on my NAV

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by meezercat, Jul 8, 2006.

1. meezercat

meezercat New Member

So, the problem is not figuring out HOW to set "home" but the fact that the NAV is telling me that my address does not exist on my street. :blink: And it refuses to set this "imaginary" address.

I'm staring at the screen thinking OK, well, it does exist, the car is sitting at that address! The house has been here for 12 years, so I don't know what the deal is.

Any suggestions? Should I just enter address numbers randomly until it accepts something?

2. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(meezercat @ Jul 8 2006, 09:24 AM) [snapback]282991[/snapback]</div>
    The best way to set it is to "Mark" the point while parked out your house. Then program that as your "Home". That way, no matter the address it shows, it will use that location as your "Home".

My street is completely wrong...all 9 houses on my street have incorrect addresses.

3. hwalker911

hwalker911 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had a simular problem with my address too. After fooling around with a few of the nearby address on my street, I found that the city had numbered thier geomap files wrong, by adding the address nearest to my address, the nav system now works for me. It still shows the wrong address, but it get me home. Of course the city was called, and there is nothing they can do to correct the problem, they say it's a postal matter...go figure. <_<

4. meezercat

meezercat New Member

Thanks guys :)

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    FWIW, the NAV in my sister's $75,000 Lexus shows her address as being at the other end of the block. While NAV street maps are usually pretty good about the streets themselves, they are notoriously inaccurate about the street numbers. Think about it: they'd have to send a surveyor to every home and business on the continent! So they guess at the numbers.

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jul 8 2006, 05:04 PM) [snapback]283129[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, my house is OK, but my parents are off. Not much, just by about 3 houses, but as they're at a "T" intersection it's obvious on the map. I just went into their driveway and entered whatever house number the NAV system said it was. Interesting, Mapquest also has the same error.

7. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is one thing that irks me about the Prius Nav in my 2005 compared to others that I have used.I hace used others that let you put in a non-existant number as long as it is within the range for that street.

When I encounter that problem, I use the web browser on my blackberry to lookup the cross street on google maps and then use that option on the Nav instead of by address.

8. tacomel

tacomel New Member

My salesman made a good point about the home address when suggesting that instead of home, you program an intersection near your home. Then if someone were to steal your car or carjack you, they would know just which house the rear view mirror opened. (Then again, they'd just have to find your registration or insurance to get the same info.)

Anyway, the point being, another workaround for not finding your address is to program a nearby intersection that the system does recognize.

9. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Taco Mel @ Jul 8 2006, 06:40 PM) [snapback]283169[/snapback]</div>
    Isn't your home address printed on your registration and proof of insurance which you are required to have in the car?

10. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jul 8 2006, 07:47 PM) [snapback]283186[/snapback]</div>
    Ha ha, you thought you caught a mistake...but many of us have posted in the past that we keep this information on our person rather then in our vehicles. Since we are the only ones driving our vehicles, the information is always in the car when needed.