1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I can't take it any longer!

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by hill, Nov 30, 2009.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok, who hasn't seen this ad running here on PC ... and what the heck is it?

[​IMG]

When you click the link (maybe that was my mistake) it touts the product as a WAY better way to generate electricity than PV. But it uses natural gas. So how can it qualify for renuable energy incentives? If it's using natural gas ... what's the byproduct? Plus, if it's only lasting 10 years (as opposed to 20+ for solar) ... does it matter if it's over twice as efficient as solar ... when it costs so much? Thoughts?

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First time I've seen it. But I would have ignored it anyway.

3. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Haven't seen it but I assume it is an in-home micro cogeneration unit. This makes sense in the winter in cold climates where the waste heat can be directly utilized increasing the overall thermal efficiency of the unit well above that of a typical power plant. Essentially one's electricity would be free for ~6 months/year. As always, the problem is installed cost.

4. pekemo

pekemo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like a white box that converts natural gas to electricity by somehow catalyzing it instead of burning it, which is reportedly less polluting. They're apparently advertising in this forum to target their marketing.

5. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's just a way to piss us off with their stupid drop down banner at the top of the page....

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I never see those ads. There is some setting I changed months ago in my PC profile (I think) that suppresses all of those annoying ads. Check it out.

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, it uses a catalyst, probably platinum, to go from methane to hydrogen. Once you have the hydrogen, you can either burn it or use a fuel cell

There are a variety of fuel cell technologies that will allow an electrochemical process, you will get DC, heat, and water as byproducts

This technology would be ideally suited for CHP (Combined Heat and Power) in a commercial office building, or apartment building, but would probably be cost-prohibitive for a standard home. The real savings would occur with preheating water, say for a chemical process, or for hot water heat

Though no doubt as production ramps, the costs would come down. Who knows, maybe in a decade or so, this might be a good alternative for most homes