1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I complain Prius is expensive in Canada, maybe I shouldn't...

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by syscon, Jun 17, 2013.

1. syscon

syscon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  2. Cristino

Cristino Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Try Puerto Rico... a Prius v Base is $30,000. (But until june 30 you get back $3,100 from the government)

Don't ask me how I know... ;)

3. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We have it good in the USA. Could not imagine paying $154,000 for a Prius to discourage driving

4. 2013-Prius v

2013-Prius v 2013 Prius v 5

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Singapore you pay $10,000 for the medallion. Then easily $80,000 for a 4-cylinder Camry.

They finance cars for like 10 years or something.

I'll be going there in July

iPhone ?

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's because a car can only be on the road for 10 years and it has to be scrapped or taken off the road (and it'll be sold to neighbouring countries such as Malaysia or Indonesia). It's to keep emissions down (newer cars would have lower emissions) as well as taking cars off the roads mean other people can have a chance to drive for 10 years. (there's a limit on the total number of registrations allowed).

Import tax is high (e.g. a base civic is easily 2x-3x the cost after it enters port). There's a Certificate of Entitlement (COE) which allows you to drive the car on the road for 10 years and it's based on engine size. It's about SGP$60k. Then you add GST and other fees.

The US has the cheapest MSRPs anywhere in the world as far as I know. Canada isn't bad (considering that prices haven't really budged in the last 10-15 years even with new technology and standard features and of course inflation.).

My package is easily $50k in Australia for example.

6. Lerxt

Lerxt New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Singapore is expensive because it is trying to reduce car ownership. They have very cheap taxis and a good public transport system.