1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I did 999 mpg again ...and now uphill

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by brian brooks, Jan 31, 2013.

1. brian brooks

brian brooks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A couple times this month I did 999 going to work my 8.5 miles but is mostly downhill, but last night going mostly uphill again I did 999 mpg. The weather was 51 degrees and traffic was going at 55mph so i was able to stay in EV and the engine never turn on, I have the lower grill blocked and drove sensible.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sweet!!! it's the best, isn't it? you should plug in the jurassic park model and see what the elevation change is.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's fun to hear others discovering that.

For me, there's a climb out of the river valley I have to do routinely. Traffic isn't always moving that fast during rush hour, but there are times I've hit that segment of highway traveling along at 55 mph. The Prius handles it just fine at that speed while climbing using only electric.

What I actually get a kick out of more is the steep hill climb from my home. You have to turn onto a 45 mph road from a dead stop. Being able to do that in EV is sweet, which is so much more appealing than any vehicle would an engine does it. Just smooth & silent. No gear shifting or combustion roar.

4. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :) I'm sending a note to oil producers. Effective immediately, I'm cutting back. My one week old Prius Plug-In achieved it's first 999mpg trip to work this morning. My commute is 9.8 miles, mostly interstate, cruise control set at 60mph. Pleasantly surprised. I was debating whether to run a line so I can recharge at work. My thoughts, if it makes sense, do it, and I will. I switched from wanting a Prius 5, to the PIP, at the last minute. Smart move. My confidence is high. I plan to place a bet on the Super Bowl. My money will be on the San Franscisco 99ers.

R3VOLTN - and I "ain't" going back

retired4999 likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done! this is impressive, since the guy in another thread can't seem to get his pip out of the garage without the engine starting.:rolleyes:

rogerv, retired4999 and SuperMookie like this.
  6. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Two all EV trips this morning 2.7 miles each way to and from coffee, 5 degrees f so 5.4 all EV with about 5.3 EV left when arriving home! :)

7. SLOW_RR

SLOW_RR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Brian, just keep in mind the 999mpg is not at all accurate. That is just as high as the screen can show.... Much closer to infinity actually as no gas was used. (Yes I know nothing is close to infinity except infinity...:LOL: ). But I love gliding around town in EV mode and see people stare at the car because they don't hear the roar taking off from a stop light!

8. Big Dude

Big Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    U take the noise maker off?

9. SLOW_RR

SLOW_RR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, but next Summer I may play a recording of this old girl throttling up to notch 8 on the hill at the museum...:ROFLMAO:

That ought to really confuse them!

10. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    no, but a regular Prius will spin up the engine when you pull away from a stoplight, and it's much noisier than the noisemaker.

11. Gaudete

Gaudete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've had trouble keeping my PiP in EV mode w/o the ICE kicking in when I tackle a fairly steep uphill in the morning. Any recommendations?

12. Gaudete

Gaudete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I should add that the PiP is kept in an unheated garage, where it probably drops to about 30 degrees overnight. The ICE doesn't kick in immediately however - only once I start to ascend the hill. If I'm really careful, and crawl up the hill at about 10 mph, I can usually keep the ICE at bay. But if I press the accelerator any more than that, and get up to about 30 mph, the ICE pops on. (Mind you, I steer clear of the "power" end of the hybrid indicator bar.)

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just Drive It.

Winter isn't going last forever and engine warm-up doesn't take as long as it seems.

Summer changes the equation anyway. You'll be able to climb the hill then.

Much more power can be extracted from the battery when it's warm outside. It's also possible when both the cabin is warm and the battery itself. So if you can't wait for the warm season, you can try that now.

14. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    take a good run at the hill, then put the car in neutral and glide. OR. Park the car overnight on top of the hill.

15. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think you can do much other than setting the end charge timer to finish just before you leave