1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I Did It....88 MPG!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Rest, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Today I got 88 mpg on my usual 7 mile drive home from work tonight. That is better than what the Honda Insight CVT I used to have got (71.2 mpg) for the same route. My 2007 Prius isn't even broken it yet, so I am stoked at what I will be able to do when it is. Life is good!

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well done!
    In most cases, I would have argued that a seven mile drive might be too short for such impressive numbers since the engine would require warm up for the first few. What's the route like? Can you achieve the same numbers in both directions?

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    it can be done. i got mileage in the mid 70's on my old 7.6 mile commute. my commute now is 5½ miles but the mileage there cant be counted because its a gentle uphill going to work and a gentle downhill coming home. (live a block away from Puget Sound, so it up from there going in any direction) but have done 100+ mpg on a good summer day coming home...

4. dreichla

dreichla New Member

Can I have 39 of your MPG?

5. Ari

Ari New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Nov 21 2006, 02:32 AM) [snapback]352423[/snapback]</div>
    While that is encouraging, it doesn't really reflect the true MPG you're getting. I also get good mileage on my commute, and it looks something like this: 30 MPG for first 7 miles, 100 MPG for last 7 miles. If I just "counted" the second half I'd be lying to myself. Start logging your results to greenhybrid.com and get back to us in a month.
    :D

6. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ari @ Nov 21 2006, 11:37 AM) [snapback]352489[/snapback]</div>
    I never said it represents my true mileage and I totally understand this. I was just saying I have never gotten such good mileage on this route before. Certainly not even with my old mileage King the Honda Insight and not on a cold night.

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ahh. its interesting to note you had an insight too?

how does the Prius compare in other ways.

i used to work with a guy who had an insight and from his description and it does not jive with what i would assume, the insight does much better on the highway, but worse in city driving. he said he frequently got 65-70 mpg on the highway but city traffic would push him to the low 50's. he sounded pretty confident in his statements but he did have a tendancy to generalize a bit. is that what you saw on yours?

now i admit, he was not a mileage fanatic like me but had over 100,000 miles on his insight and was probably the only insight owner in the state of montana.

unfortunately, his mother died in a car wreck, so he moved back there to help out with family stuff so only got to talk to him for a few months.

8. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have to work to get 88mpg on my 5-speed Insight.

That is about the figure on my best-ever work commute during the summer (25 miles at 50mph, 85% freeway)

Congratulations!

9. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well my Insight was a CVT and yes city driving was worse than freeway driving. While there are things I loved about my Insight I am much more impressed with the Prius. To think I can get the same or better mileage in a bigger vehicle using regular tires is great. And electric only mode is so cool. The insight didn't have a GPS or cruise control option. Plus the body style was a bit to out there. But surprisingly there was plenty of room inside for two with luggage.

10. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Nov 27 2006, 01:28 AM) [snapback]354386[/snapback]</div>
    That's what originally steered me away from the Insight when I first looked at it 3 or 4 years ago. I knew we wanted to have room for 5 (I was even thinking of a hybrid mini-van if they'd come out earlier). The Prius did it for us. We definitely need that room now, as one of our grandsons has come to live with us, at least through this school year.

Dave M.

11. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    DaveinOlyWa,

Your signature data regarding cents per mile is misleading if you are trying to represent the cost to own your vehicle. With 3500 miles on the car is should be around $2.20 per mile as you have paid for some part (if not all) of the car, state taxes, insurance, gasoline, miscellaneous costs, etc.

I am at $2.38 per mile with 3200 miles on my 2006.

Oh well, feel free to ignore thsi.

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VABeachPrius @ Nov 28 2006, 02:15 AM) [snapback]354739[/snapback]</div>
    if i combined the purchase price of both of my cars and the expense, it would. however, my 2006 after the rebate will be essentially free. i estimate, it will take a few years before driving my 06 will cost me anything. that makes it hard to compare costs against a normal car without considering the purchase price. so i use my current method without regard to purchase price or the actual cost to me. this allows older cars that may or may not have been purchased new to compare cost of driving the car.

you might want to read this post http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=23105