1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I did it, got Prius-talk about a change

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Tdoff1, May 20, 2008.

1. Tdoff1

Tdoff1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Talk about a change.....2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab with a V-8.....picking up my 2007 Prius tomorrow.:ballchain:. I feel likie a giant, but will feel better when I pass the gas stations and get better that the 14 MPG the truck was getting....

2. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Welcome to the club. After 2 or 3 days you will be surprised at how much you love it. Just wait until you go to the gas station the first time and you can only get 8 - 9 gallons in the tank.

3. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome to Prius chat!

Seriously, you will LOVE your new car!! :p

4. tasker109

tasker109 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    congrats on the wise choice. but prius goes beyond great gas mileage. you are going to have so much fun driving again. theres so many extras with prius that makes it fun. no key. press the button to start. back up camera. fold down back seats to haul almost anything you need to. i hope you got a package that utilizes bluetooth technology. the phone works great with that. the coolest thing about it is if you have the radio or cd player on, when the phone rings, the volume turns off PLUS if you have a cd in, the cd pauses and starts up where you left off when the phone rang.......isnt that neat?

5. eco

eco Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Congrats, don't forget to post some pictures for us!

6. Tdoff1

Tdoff1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks folks! If I can get over the buyers remorse tonight I will be OK. As expected I took a bath on the trade in of the truck. (cannot give them away here). Makes me smile to think of the money saves and parking places I can get into.

Hope to pick it up tomorrow. Looking to get hood air deflector and window deflectors installed somewhere.

By the way, I think I got the last one in my area. They are very hard to locate.

Look forward to chatting about the new ride here!:D

7. JRGris

JRGris New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Congratulations! I have had the most fun driving this car than nearly any I have owned. Only my 1966 GTO was better but that is from a completely different era. You will love the car. Keep smiling:D.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sounds like you got rid of something no one wants and got something everyone wants.

Give it a month and you'll understand.

:welcome: Welcome to Priuschat and the Cult of the Prius. BTW, your dues need to be postmarked no later than the first of the month. The manual that comes with the car will give specifics on the initiation ceremony. Oh and as the newbie you're expected to buy us all a round of drinks.

9. Tdoff1

Tdoff1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    drinks on me........................:juggle:........checks in the mail...don't cash it until the second Tuesday of next week.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :welcome: and congrats!

11. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The most shocking thing is the lovely shade of green that the drivers at the other pumps turn when they notice how little you put in the tank. Yes, that really happens. In the short time I've owned mine, I've been asked the following during the rare times I'm at the gas station:

• How much does it really get? [If you keep a mileage log and the person asking doesn't look like they have a strong heart, don't show them the log.]
    • Did you really fill it up?
    Not very creative questions I know, but I was used to not having strangers talk to me at the gas station. It's kinda weird sometimes. I've only filled the car three times, but during two of those fill-ups some other driver has felt the need too talk to me about the car.

And lastly welcome and be welcome! There's good folk and good info around here!

12. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hiya...

Look I came off of a truck, not as big of a truck as a Dakota, but a Ford Ranger and a Jeep Cherokee.

Lets be honest, there are differences, but honestly I haven't had a second's worth of buyer's remorse. First, "new car smell" is more addictive than crack. Second, this is simply the coolest car I think I've ever owned. OK, you may not be able to drag logs out of ditches or haul tons of concrete with it, but if you were honestly doing those things, you wouldn't have bought this car. What it lacks in raw power, it makes up for in unparalleled technology.

Keep and open mind about driving it. It does not necessarily drive like your truck, nor should you drive like it is a truck. Whatever philosophy you adopt about driving your new ride, just have fun. This is the only car I've ever owned where a month in and I still smile just thinking about driving.

Have fun!

13. prius12306

prius12306 2018 prime advanced - Stella

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Congrats on the new car. I've had mine 4 days so far and marvel at how futuristic it all is. i love how when i walk up to it the inside light comes on and the doors unlock just by reaching for the handle. And the bluetooth phone is also great as another pointed out. I had a gps with the bluetooth and while it worked the mic was pretty bad. Now everyone says they can't tell I'm even on bluetooth. I did not get the NAV but use my own garmin GPS - I just got the friction mount for the garmin as I could not find a place I wanted to mount the permanent dash mount. Will be taking pictures of sally in the car tomorrow. (Sally is the GPS). Have posted pictures of the car up in the other section. AGAIN, congrats and welcome to the club. BTW, I have driven 110 miles and used only a little over 2 gallons of gas thus far.

14. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I'm feeling especially wicked I tell people that I try to buy gas at least once a month whether it needs it or not :_>

15. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <note to self>
    Must remember this one...
    </note to self>

Oh, that is truely wicked.

16. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Weclome to PriusChat and Prius-dom! Where in VA are you?

17. Tdoff1

Tdoff1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Jimbo, Midlo area............

18. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well howdy, neighbor! I'm right off Providence Rd. near Midlothian Tnpk.

19. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have a friend with a stump-pulling country-spewing truck. When I need to haul large and/or heavy items, all I have to do is give him a call and return the truck with a case of beer in the bed.

Let's say Tdoff1 was getting 14mpg. Over 12,000 miles/year, that's 875 gallons costing $3,428 at $4/gal.
    In the 50mpg Prius, the same 12,000 miles will require 240 gallons costing $960. A savings of $2,468.

In other words, if a case of beer cost $20, you can afford to borrow someone's truck a total of 123 times before you start losing money on the deal.

20. canesfan

canesfan Culture shocked...

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I feel your pain about the trade-in. We managed to sell our V-8 privately, but still took a loss. I saw it driving down the road the other day and I had no regrets. You will love your car! Congrats!