1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I did it! I averaged 55 MPG around the city today!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by StarBrite310, Jan 24, 2006.

1. StarBrite310

StarBrite310 ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    :D

Don't mind me. I am just happy!!! I took someone's advice on here by reseting my miles and I did a lot of gliding as I drove and wah la!!! 55 MPG!! :lol:

2. benighted

benighted New Member

Impressive.

The harshest part of winter is over and I'm just starting to see 50MPG again.

3. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That is good, especially for us newbies, isn't it?

As a total prius newbie, can anyone shed light on the effects of temperate ranges?
    Yesterday my odometer read "1" , and in my first day and a half of driving my new Prius, it's been 43F to 48F, and I've been able to get decent mileage once it warms up. My commute home had 3 bars up over 50, and one up in the 70s, and that was on the i395 going 55 to 60 mph! I'm hovering at the 41mpg tank average mark though, but I'm trying to boost it up without going doing a reset yet. That warmup is a mileage killer. I think I'm going to have to try a more aggressive "takeoff" to see if it warms the engine up any faster - any thoughts?

It doesn't get very cold in Westport does it? (I just saw 50F on weather.com) LA's supposed to be in the mid-sixties - so that REALLY isn't winter. At least not to me, a former Montrealer... there were a lot of -6F lows up there this past month!

Cheers!
    Dave

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Click the link in my signature. People are often quite surprised with the correlation of temperature and mileage.

5. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Impressive mileage tracking. And I thought I was anal! :lol:

6. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

WHOAH, I sure am! That's downright linear! I new there was a correlation, but I had no idea it was that tight!

Tony, what's your commute like, i.e., how long? I'm curious as to what the extent the effects of warm up versus sustained driving and temperature.

So I guess there IS a winter in WA and CA :) I still don't think of DC as having winter though ;)

Thanks
    Dave

7. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    For the record, you need to understand that the "average temperature" is the LAST cell I fill in. Therefore, I can not manipulate any mileage reports nor can my recording by subconsciously steered based on temperature. I just want to make it clear that I was initially as surprised as everyone. How I get to the "average temp" is by going to weather.com and averaging all the 'highs' and 'lows' reported for the period of that tank. I realize that it's not 100% scientifically accurate but I consider it close enough.

As for my commute:

20 miles. averaging 35 - 45 minutes in the morning and an even hour in the evening.

Mostly four-lane highway through suburbs with stoplights. At times I can average in the high 40s MPH while at other times I'm in the low 40s. Is it just me or do others find the low 40s to be the MPG "dead zone"? Anyway, there are periods of time where I can stealth (< 40 MPH) for blocks at a time. I tend to drive in the left lane (annoying some) because there are left turn lanes to keep the traffic flowing whereas cars are constantly stopping in the right lane to turn right while others are pulling onto the highway and causing the right lane to stop. On the way home, traffic is severely worse and I'm hoping that the periods where I craw at sub-35MPH will be assisted with the EV button. Just a few blocks at a time with above-mentioned average driving in between.

That's pretty much it. You can see the temperature swing in my chart. I often take the day's average temp and compare it to the chart to see what mileage I think I should be at. With luck it will improve overall with time.

8. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Tony, your lifetime mpg is dubious. The footnote says it's just an average of all the per-tank mpg figures. Why? That manages to both give an incorrect answer, AND be more complicated!

Just divide your total miles (minus 3) by total gallons. Assuming those figures are correct, I then get a correct lifetime figure of 48.1mpg, rather than 48.9mpg.

9. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Congratulations! That is pretty exciting!

10. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I used to track them both. What I found was that they were "neck-and-neck" and cluttery so I chose one and removed the other. Yeah, I chose the higher of the two B) but left in the disclaimer to maintain complete transparency.

Changing the column to maintain a running total of "total miles divided by total gallons" is not difficult. Basically I'd just be putting the column I removed back in.

11. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How many miles did you drive, out of curiousity?? And were the miles just on surface streets, not freeway? :)

12. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    BULLETIN! BULLETIN! STAR BRITE AVERAGES 55 MPG for three miles.

:lol: :blink: :p

13. StarBrite310

StarBrite310 ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I drove about 35 miles yesterday and it was on surface streets. Not the freeway. But I had to drive through the canyon because I went to the valley yesterday. For people living in L.A. you know what I am talking about. It was easy to glide!

14. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's awesome! I have about a 30-35 mile commute daily, but we don't have as many hills in the Los Alamitos to Huntington Beach area to maximize the gliding. :)