1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I don't know if there are any other photographers here, but . . .

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by etawful, Jul 15, 2007.

1. etawful

etawful New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I thought I'd share some pictures from the weekend. Seagulls aren't the hardest birds to photograph in flight, they actually make the job rather easy, but I was pleased with most of these (some are better than others). I just thought I'd share and pat myself on the back for a job well done (in my not so humble opinion :)).

These were taken from the ferry between Woods Hole on Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard (my girlfriend and I decided to do a day trip out there since we hadn't both had the same day off in a LONG time). The weather was awesome and we even decided to splurge and go parasailing (a first for me). It was a great day all in all . . . oh yeah, I started this thread to talk about pictures :):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got pictures of some osprey and a few other sights as well, unfortunately because of having bad lighting (too harsh) or being too far away (no detail), they didn't come out too well. Oh well, I'm happy. We got a nice day in the sun and I came away with some great photos. Personally, the third and the last one are my favorites. What do you all think? :)

Hope somebody besides me enjoys them!

2. TurkeyButt

TurkeyButt New Member

Very nice. I have a Nikon D80 that I fart around with. What kind of camera do you have? Sorry about your Osprey pics... I live on a Marine Corps base and we have an Osprey hanger here...LOL So they are always flying over head... I never thought to take pics of them though, probably because I am around aircraft all day long... hehe.

Anyway, I like the third one down and the two gulls together. I think those are your best IMO. Thanks for sharing!

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice sharp and well lit photos. ISO and shutter speed on those? And what lens?
    My favorite....almost... is the one with the wave approaching at the diagonal...if there'd have been a few inches of separation b/w the white of the wave and the white of the tail feathers that natural diagonal separation would have made for a very interesting and geographic image....it's just so close even here.

4. etawful

etawful New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TurkeyButt @ Jul 15 2007, 12:34 PM) [snapback]479118[/snapback]</div>
    I shoot with a Nikon D200. These were all shot with a Sigma 80-400 OS lense.

Glad you like them (number 3 is one of my favorites too, I think 9 is probably my favorite of them all).

Thanks!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 15 2007, 12:42 PM) [snapback]479120[/snapback]</div>
    I'd have to look at the EXIF info for them all, but they range from F8-F13, I think all at ISO 200. Shot with Nikon D200 and a Sigma 80-400 OS lense.

Glad you liked them!

5. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Pics look great! I also love the 3rd to last one.

6. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Fantastic! Thanks for sharing those. You must have a super nice telephoto and very steady hands or some very high megapixels of fine grain film. Even so, it has to take some talent to pan and catch those birds in flight and keep the cavera steady with in a closeup like that.

7. etawful

etawful New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Jul 15 2007, 06:27 PM) [snapback]479276[/snapback]</div>
    The lens is an 80-400 that weighs about 5 pounds (cost right around $1,000). BUT, it has a nifty optical stabilization feature (like a gyroscope basically) that allows you to get shots like these handheld.

This was the first time I've done any real panning to take shots like this, so I was really happy with the results. Glad you liked them!!!!

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So how do you like the Sigma 80-400? I looked closely at the Nikkor 80-400VR, but there seemed to be a lot of issues with slow AF and rumors of an improved version on the horizon so I've held off.

I tend to shy away from non-OEM equipment, esp. lenses, but I've had one or two really good non-Nikon lenses over the years. My issue, esp. with Sigma, is that they tend to be inconsistant from lens to lens. One willbe great, then you'll get a sample that's totally off.

Currently my longest lens is my old 80-200/2.8 AF-D. But it's showing signs of wear and I'm hankering for something longer. Would love to have the beautiful 200-400/2.8 but that's probably not ever going to be within my budget.

9. pyccku

pyccku Happy Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Nice shots!

I'm a photographer, but I didn't get to take anything as interesting as seagulls yesterday (well, at least not as interesting to other people). I did do 2 maternity, 1 newborn and a 6 month old kid, though.

We were recently in Hawaii and I had much fun taking shots. My favorite combo is the Canon 5D/28-105L - not quite as much zoom as you need for seagulls, but perfect for walking around.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pyccku @ Jul 15 2007, 06:26 PM) [snapback]479307[/snapback]</div>
    Do you shoot a lot of maternity stuff? It's actually a subject I've enjoyed, shot my wife during both pregnancies and one neighbor, it's fun to be creative with the ideas of maternity work.

11. pyccku

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, I do more maternity/newborn than anything else. I also do senior, children, bridal, family, etc. but it seems like the mat/nb are the most reliable. People have babies all year round, LOL!

This coming weekend is an "easy" weekend, only two sessions booked. One is maternity (piece of cake) but the other is 14-month old quadruplets. I plan to have plenty of ibuprofen on hand for that one...and I don't plan to book any other sessions that day!

Maternity portraits have really caught on in a big way in the past year or two. People have gotten over the "ick...a fat belly" view, and now see it as a beautiful thing. Good for me! I love doing maternity and then getting to meet the newborn. I've got customers whose children I've known since before they were born and I see them every 3-4 months, so it's really neat to watch them grow up.

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pyccku @ Jul 15 2007, 08:23 PM) [snapback]479357[/snapback]</div>
    You need to call in sick!! OMG, that gives me chills just thinking about it! I actually got started doing studio stuff b/c of my wife being pregnant with twins and my desire to have tons of photos of them (I do). But man is it tough getting 2 kids to cooperate with photos. 4...no way. I suspect you're going to do some free roaming type shos and just grab away while they play with toys or something. Yikes, food luck.

It was just starting to become something of interest with my wife's pregnancy 8 years ago, kinda popular 3 years ago, and now seems huge. Good gig to be good at IMO. Are your customers typically doing nudes or just the white gown stuff or what? I'm partial to the nude back-lit/side-lit stuff myself, but there are a lot of things you can do covered or uncovered.

13. pyccku

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    etawful, do you do any post-processing to your photos?

I did a couple of things in PS to bring out the midtones on these, plus the unsharp mask - it makes it "pop" a little better. If you don't like it, I'll be happy to take it down! This is something photographers like to do on the photo boards I'm a member of, we try different things to see how the same image can be totally different depending upon how you process it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. etawful

etawful New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pyccku @ Jul 15 2007, 09:31 PM) [snapback]479363[/snapback]</div>
    Feel free to tweak to your hearts content.

I usually do some post processing, but didn't do any with these other than some cropping on the last shot (there was a LOT more water originally).

I do like what you've done (especially with the last one), it seems to separate the gull from the water a bit more than the original.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 15 2007, 06:57 PM) [snapback]479291[/snapback]</div>
    I really like the Sigma. It's not fast focusing, but if you do a little pre-focus, it will lock in quite quickly. Overall, I'm pleased with it.

Honestly, based on some limited use of the Nikon version, I couldn't see enough difference to warrant the extra expense, so I went with the Sigma.

One thing with Sigma is they have fantastic warranty service (they once repaired a flash for me that was 2 years outside warrant at no charge).

15. pyccku

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It depends on the customer. About 90% are willing to do the wrap - basically a really long piece of fabric that I wrap around them so what needs to be covered is covered, but the belly shows. I do have some who are a little more modest and don't really want a lot of skin showing, other than the belly.

It always amazes me how a woman who hasn't ever met me before can feel comfortable enough to "take it off" within 30 minutes of meeting me! But then, I've also done boudoir and I guess once you've decided you want to do the session, you kind of expect to be showing off what you've got. But with boudoir...they usually bring some wine and moral support. No wine with the maternity sessions.

I photographed the quadruplets back when they were newborns. They are actually surviving sextuplets. I had offered the mom a free session when she was on bedrest with 6 babies, and then she ended up with 4. It's a shoot for the cover shot of a local magazine. I can't call in sick, since I'm the owner and only photographer for my studio!

There is another set of sextuplets in Phoenix right now - the Masche babies. I have also offered them a session, but haven't heard from them if they want to do it or not. I have two surviving triplets myself, so I'm pretty comfortable working with multiples.

16. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Nice pics!

D200 here. With the Nikor 18-200mm. Very convenient lens for most situations, although not long enough to capture something like those gulls.

17. etawful

etawful New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Jul 17 2007, 01:31 AM) [snapback]480081[/snapback]</div>
    I've been in the market for one of those lenses myself, just haven't been able to justify the expense AND fine one in stock anywhere at the same time :).

18. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(etawful @ Jul 17 2007, 05:22 AM) [snapback]480136[/snapback]</div>
    Know what you mean. I was on the waiting list for months. And then I finally broke down and got one on eBay instead. $911. Not too bad, considering the amount of bidding on those lenses at that time (last Christmas).

It's much much better for the DSLR than non-digital zoom lens (obviously, since it's designed to be used on DSLRs only). And the convenience of not having to swap lens in and out all the time makes it so worthwhile, especially when you need to capture many different types of subjects and activities both indoors and out in the same session. A monopod or mini-tripod is very good to have handy (I carry one in my car at all times.)

19. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm gonna brag....

I've been PAID for this photo, for the experienceWA.com website:
    [​IMG]
    :D

This makes me a professional, right?

20. fairclge

fairclge Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :blink: yep they look just like the seagulls here in Va beach?