1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I don't like my Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by westex39, Dec 21, 2007.

1. westex39

westex39 New Member

The only thing I like about my 2007 Prius Touring is the gas mileage.
    I'm 6'6" tall, so as you can imagine I don't fit very well into this econo-box. The ride and road noise (knocking in front suspension) is awful. Even the gas mileage is no where near what they advertized. I have gotten an average of 42.9 mpg since May 11, 2007. total mileage is now at 3543 miles.
    I seriously looking into trading it in on a Chevrolet Impala or something simular.
    Sorry, guys this thing just doesn't cut it for me.
    additionally, the Toyota quality???? does not shine on this car.

2. bbald123

bbald123 Thermodynamics Law Enforcement

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'd recommend trading it on something you'd like. Maybe an Escalade?

3. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I can't say I blame you, after looking at your past posts. I would be pissed:mad:

A letter to Toyota about the dealership would not hurt.

4. westex39

westex39 New Member

Thanks bbald123,

I already have a 2007 Chevrolet Suburban for long trips.

5. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Westex, the model of a luxury car, Prius is not, but neither is it an econobox. Just to be fair. ;) I'm 6', not 6'6" so although I find it quite comfortable, I know you're in a different position, so to speak.

Build problems happen with individual cars all the time, from any manufacturer, and if yours had factory problems, I'm sorry you got to be in the statistical minority. That probably makes it a personal grudge you'll hold against Toyota, which is too bad, since it sounds like you were unlucky there.

As for Gas mileage, ~43 is not bad in a Prius if you're not trying to milk it, but yeah, the old EPA model that let them put a 55/60 on the window sticker seems unfair. To put it in perspective though, chart your fuel use in your Suburban and see what percentage of difference there is between advertised and actual mileage, and you may feel less like you were swindled only with the Prius, and more like you've been swindled with EVERY car :) But ~43 is a far sight better than the (flawed) EPA est. 18/29 of the impala.

Hopefully some day (soon) there will be more vehicles that get super-fantastic gas mileage (or use no gas) that suit lots of different needs and tastes. Since the Prius is still pretty much alone in the field, there are bound to be people who try it out and just don't like it. Maybe consider riding a bike instead? You'll use less gas! :D

And after all, there's no need to apologize to us. It's your own money you're burning if you trade in a <1yr old car. If you do though, you'll probably like another thing about the Prius: low depreciation!

6. srickard

srickard New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    1. You may be a bit tall for a Prius. Did you not test drive it before you bought?
    2. Your mileage is very close to the new federal mileage estimates.
    3. According to the latest Consumer Reports, the Prius has the highest customer satisfaction of any car sold in the U.S. Nothing else comes close.
    4. As for reliability and quality, Consumer Reports also says the Prius is currently the best built car in the world.
    5. My 2008 Prius is very quiet.
    5. Enjoy your suburban!
    :D

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Prius is not for everybody. No single car is for everybody. But it sounds like you got a double-whammy: You are extremely tall (being that tall, you should really test-drive any car before buying) and you got one of those very rare Prius lemons. As one of the best-built cars on the road today, Prius has a lower percentage of lemons than almost any other car. But there has never been a car built that didn't have some lemons.

Were it not for your height and the discomfort associated with it, I'd say demand a replacement under the lemon laws. But if the car is uncomfortable, look for something bigger. No larger car is even going to come close to 42.9 mpg, though. You'll probably burn twice as much gas (at rising prices) in any car that fits your height.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're not completely burned on Toyota a Camry Hybrid will get you around 40mpg (depending upon driving habits, etc) and should be much more comfortable for someone of your height.

9. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

He took the keystrokes right out of my email.....

The Camry has around 3" (as I recall) more legroom than the Prius, and you should get pretty good resale value for your Prius to boot (thank goodness for small miracles). You might try the Altima Hybrid as well, just to see how you fit. A friend has a couple year old one and he loves his Altima (and he's driven a ton of cars in his lifetime.....so he knows good ones from bad ones).

My college roommate was also 6 and 1/2 feet tall and he had a lot of issues finding a car he fit into (he ended up driving a small truck because of the more "upright" seating position), but he could fit into and drive my CRX (lots of front legroom on that car).

Good Luck!

10. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm 6'4" tall, with 36" inseam (long legs).

I've added a wedge seat cushion and an ObusForme seat back to correct most of what is wrong with the driver's seat ergonomics.

The OEM driver's seat is a torture rack for tall people, something I have talked to a Toyota representative about.

Harry

11. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The seats are one of the biggest complaints I've seen here. Making them more adjustable would help a lot. Some owners have replaced the OEM seats with Recaro seats and are happy with the results.

12. fish_antlers

fish_antlers New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

What's wrong with an Escalade? I owned a Durango RT and was extremely satisfied. I'd definetly consider an Escalade or Excursion, or H2 (not H3).

And yes - I'm serious.

13. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are some threads on here about modifying the seats for tall drivers (in case you haven't found them)
    http://priuschat.com/forums/showpost.php?p=513171&postcount=6
    http://priuschat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14016
    http://priuschat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32044&highlight=seats
    http://priuschat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28422&highlight=seats
    http://priuschat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22125&highlight=replace+seats

But it's hard to imagine you'd be interested in a doing mods at this point, especially given the suspension problems you're having (with a touring, no less!). With the lousy dealer service you've recounted here, contacting Toyota corporate, perhaps by a means more immediate than a letter, really seems advisable.

A number of members on this forum have gotten results by taking that route when the local dealer was being a pain/unresponsive.

From the Toyota website: If you'd like to discuss your experience or share your comments, Toyota's Customer Experience Center representatives are happy to assist you.

Phone: 800-331-4331
    Fax: 310-468-7814
    Mon - Fri: 5:00 am - 6:00 pm PT
    Sat: 7:00 am - 4:00 pm PT

Or send correspondence to:
    Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    19001 South Western Ave.
    Dept. WC11
    Torrance, CA 90501

14. jethro

jethro New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If emissions and milage are unimportant, it is hard to understand how you ended up in this car. If comfort for long trips is needed for this car, you can get the mod for more leg room.

A consistent train of criticism gives this credibility. But this has the appearance of grinding an axe for some other purpose.

15. C.RICKEY HIROSE

westex39 , Try the CH, you will fit in it comfortably. Head room and leg room abundant. Handles and rides wonderfully and Good power as well.

16. djelsewhere

djelsewhere New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm 6'5" and am quite comfortable in my Prius. That was one of my concerns before I test drove, since I had read that tall people have a hard time with it, but I haven't had any discomfort, even on a two hour commute. Perhaps they changed something in the 08 model. I'm not sure.

17. Thomas Smutny

Thomas Smutny New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am 6'3" and have no problems with interior room. My mileage in consistently in the upper 50's and lower 60's mpg. I've owned Porches and Mercedes', and frankly the quality of the Prius is better than any of them.

18. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm 5'11" (on a good day) w/34" inseam and have all kinds of problems with the driver's seat. I use a wedge for thigh support and that helps a lot, but it's still not ideal. I removed the wedge the other day and drove without it and immediately knew why I'd been using it...no thigh support, my knee twisted and was sore...just not comfortable at all.

I really hope that the next prius is made with a nice, light weight, but adjustable seat...the market just won't expand much further if they can't accomodate the comfort needs of the many.

19. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if Toyota have a clinic for correction of drivers who find they don't fit the perfect car?:D
    How much shorter would you like to be sir?:D

Sorry about your predicament, try Camry or any of a plethora of other vehicles on the market. The great thing is you will be able to sell the Prius in heartbeat, with its 92% satisfaction rating they would be in demand in the used vehicle market.

In regard to your mileage, how far off the EPA figure was your last car? I have never got an answer from anyone I ask this question and I have asked it several times.

Do you know, when I was shopping for the Prius I was able to take the car home for an overnight test drive, that was a good chance to see if I fit the car before I laid down my hard earned. I recommend asking your dealer for the same when you are looking to replace the Prius.

20. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    [gloat on] I must be Japanese-size. The seat fits me perfectly. [gloat off]
    However, the lack of lumbar support is a problem on long trips. I have to put a folded towel between my lower back and the seat back.

I have a suggested cure for all these seat complaints: Drive a Xebra SD for a while. The Prius seat will then feel like luxury. (Though the Xebra seat is worth it, to be free of gasoline!)