1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I don't think my mechanic is giving me the full truth

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Annika Byrd, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Annika Byrd

Annika Byrd New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi! I've posted once before and you guys always have information on here when I need it so I thought it'd be a good place to run this by you.

I bought my 2012 Prius C from my prius mechanic after an unfortunate accident a few months ago. It was a salvaged title, but he fully refurbishes everything. This is the third prius I've gotten from him and several of my friends and family have bought prius' from him as well. Nobody has ever had a problem!

I had my prius for about a month when I was at a friends house, I turned it off for maybe 5 minuets, then when I got back in, it wouldn't start. All of the dashboard lights would come on like normal, everything electric started up fine, the engine just wasn't starting.

I called my mechanic and he came out to look at it and he plugged it into his computer and said some of my computer systems weren't cooperating so he had to take it in, but he thought it was probably just a blown fuse. It's now been almost 4 weeks, I texted him after about 1.5 weeks to see how everything was coming along and he got back to me a few days later (he's usually very prompt) and he said everything was okay, he was just waiting for a part. Cut to last week I called again to see what was up (normally if he has to order a part it comes within a day or two) and he said he got it to start up fine now but now my key wasn't connecting to the car, the car wasn't recognizing the key (my particular model is key less) so he had to send it into Toyota to have them reprogram it and it would be ready Monday. Well that would've been this past Monday (3/16) and it's now been another full week, so I called again.

Now I haven't heard from him since 3/18. I know it sounds like I'm bugging him, but he's usually very quick with replies and handles things quickly. I also messaged him about my boyfriends Prius a few days ago because he had the catalytic converters stolen off of it (he bought his prius from this mechanic as well)

I don't know a lot about cars, but does this make sense? I know Toyota is still open during the lock down, I plan on calling them in the morning to see if they can give me any information or any kind of timeline, but the whole situation seems a little fishy to me. But maybe I'm just paranoid?

2. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    It sounds like this electrical gremlin is giving your shop a challenge. Salvage vehicles can be especially tricky with compromised wiring harnesses.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unfortunately, when you rebuild a salvage car, there's no way of knowing what other damage may present itself in the future.
    if you have been without a vehicle, you need to have a talk with him about rental costs.

i think the truth is not the problem. i just don't think he knows what the truth is. meaning, he's having difficulty tracking down the issue(s)

this is the nature of salvage, you win some, you lose some

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    OR maybe yet another case of someone who SHOULD know better overlooking a weak 12 V battery.
    That is NOT a diagnosis, just an idea.

dig4dirt and davecook89t like this.
  5. Annika Byrd

Annika Byrd New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    When it first died, I tried jumping the 12v battery, wouldn't that have started it, if that was the problem?

6. Annika Byrd

Annika Byrd New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I called the toyota he said he took it to as well as all of the toyotas in our area and none of them have any record of my car being there. I still can't get ahold of him, I dont know what's going on, lol.

7. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Actually he could be waiting on parts. My son was saying they have a dozen or so Honda's outside the dealership waiting on stuff from Asia. Nothing they can do about it but wait.

8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On top of all the above, if he has employees, some of them might have chosen to stay home and he might be overwhelmed with trying to get more done with fewer people. Or maybe he got sick himself. All kinds of reasonable explanations.

But it would be nice if he could take a few minutes to give you an update.

One other thing on the key fob. If he's specializing to some degree in the Prius, I'd think he would want to invest in the Techstream license that would let him program fobs.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like you're getting the run around, he should give you your money back

10. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sounds like you need to get your car back and find a real Mechanic.

11. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I would never buy a car that has been wrecked and repaired - much less one with a salvaged title. Even if repaired, I would get rid of it.

Having experience with aircraft repaired and certified even with the FAA as flightworthy, I am still not confident with flying in one. Repairs change the original dynamics of the original design and are more likely to fail as many investigations of accidents have revealed.

With the current crop pf modern electronics in cars, especially in the Prius, without matter of how much time is spent in troubleshooting the fault, the fault may never be found. It's been over 13 months since the Boeing 737Max has been grounded and it is still not certified as flightworthy.

The issue comes from the use of a CAN (computer area network) bus linked by 26-18 gauge wires and 5 volt micro amp switching. Just one iffy solder joint, solder whisker, a slight crimp or any change in the resistivity of the wiring will change the digital signal through the CAN bus.

Unfortunately, the OP might eventually have to resell the vehicle as salvage for parts to a wrecking yard. SORRY FOR THE BAD NEWS.

Lukey51 likes this.
  12. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Your FOB is a key. Some problems are hard to solve. Sometimes solving problems is fun. He may have another shop helping him w it. It gives a wrong impression of us if we told you that we as shop owners send our customer car to another shop asking them to help. customers would jump to rash conclusions that we weren't the best shop to bring things to. Customers don't understand all the inner workings. Customers are kind of like simpletons. And cars are more complex than a customer knows. Ease up on the guy.

jerrymildred likes this.
  13. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Negative. He's had the vehicle almost a month now and communication is a big issue.

14. AlphaFox

AlphaFox New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    how can you be without your car for a month?! I would be furious if I hadnt heard something after a few days, not reply to calls is totally unacceptable.