1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I Don't Want Regrets For Buying a 2008

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Aaron, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Is the 2009 FOR SURE going to be the third generation hybrid system or just a new body design?

I'm getting ready to buy an 2008 this month. I decided I just can't wait any longer (I get 18 MPG avg.) and I hope it's not a decision I regret when the 09 comes out.

I'm buying new and I wonder how much I would lose on a trade in on a 2008 for a 2009.

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2009 model will be basically the same as the 2008. The next generation is supposed to be the 2010 as a plug-in model.

3. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    and when the next-gen comes out, it's probably a good idea to wait a couple model years for most of the bugs to get worked out.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, buy now, keep it 3 or 4 years then upgrade to the new one.

Don't buy the first of a new model, my 2004 has been dreadful for a Toyota, it had 2 faults in 4 years. A shock absorber replaced under warranty and now the MFD. The MFD issue was sorted on the mid 2005 models, the shocker could have been any car.

Good luck which ever way you go.

Hey didn't we already have a member named Aaron?

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Another option is to do what I did. Buy four years ago so that in 2012 you'll be pushing 100,000 miles and can trade in for the plug-in.

Once you get that time machine working you should have no problem.

Then again, if you do that, this thread won't exist because you'll have your Prius.

Unless you're posting to get the idea of a time machine in which case it would exist.

I think I'd better go lay down.

6. Rockville1

Rockville1 Silver Pine Mica

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    He did time travel and bought a Prius four years ago, but he totaled it last month. So this thread does exist, he has a totaled 2004 but still wants to know whether or not to buy a 2008!

With the money he's making off of time-travel, he can buy an '08, '09 and a 2010.

7. BigJay

BigJay reh reh REH reh Torture them!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Take another look at fuel prices. You'll be happy you bought now instead of later. You'll enjoy your car now, and you can sock away the fuel savings to upgrade later.

I picked my prius up at a dealer that had a few on the lot two months ago, now there's a waiting list a mile long.

8. ForTheGlory

ForTheGlory New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Also, consider how high the demand is going to be when a Generation 3 Prius comes out. There'll be big waiting lists at every dealership. In addition to making you wait, that will also leave you with zero price negotating room.

9. A Prime Factor

A Prime Factor Formerly "I want my PHEV"

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If anyone has a time machine, would you kindly go to the future and find out when a real plug-in will be coming out, and how much it will cost? Then please PM me, preferably last fall before I decided to buy a 2008?

Thanks in advance (?)