1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I drove my buddys New Smart Car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by larrysoossin, Jun 27, 2008.

1. larrysoossin

larrysoossin New Member

wow iam glad i bought my 07 prius dosent even come close ! the road noise is horrible, shifting sucks, gas mileage horrible 16 thousand bucks,

should be called the dumb car

2. fcc

fcc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was posting in another thread how all electric vehicles need a farther range before
    they will come truly mainstream as the prius has.

i feel that this vehicle falls into the same category. I cannot imagine using such a little
    car that has such limited use. I actually want to fit things inside the car besides myself
    and a passenger.

[​IMG]

3. jamgolf

jamgolf New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Although I have not had a chance to drive a "smart car" - I tend to agree with your "dumb car" characterization. It looks like a gimmic.

40 mpg for such a tiny car ... thats really bad ... Fit, Yaris and even Civic are in the same neighborhood w.r.t. mpg.

Such a small car should get at least 60 mpg if not more. I dont understand why some people are buying it. Perhaps its their third car (for running errands) etc.

4. fcc

fcc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

yea errands to pick up a jar of mustard and a bottle of ketchup. i am not
    sure I could even fit my normal grocery run in the back!!! :-|

5. pumpkin13039

pumpkin13039 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Check out the latest issue of Consumers Report (August 2008). Has a short article on The Smart Car, and says pretty much the same thing as Larrysoossin.

6. AdamKPL

AdamKPL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They have had these cars in Europe for as long as I can remember and I always thought who in the right mind would buy them when there are other options. I saw some guy driving in a yellow convertible and he looked like an idiot. Why would you ever buy a street legal, over priced, inefficient, and useless go-kart?

7. larrysoossin

larrysoossin New Member

hey pumkin are you saying iam a good test driver? here is the one i drove

Attached Files:

8. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I got a Consumer Reports today which says pretty much the same thing.

9. AdamKPL

AdamKPL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    whats that sexy white car behind the yellow smart?:nod:

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's a delivery truck.

jk

11. rfruth

rfruth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The PC crowd pew pewing a Smart, no way :rolleyes:

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cause it's fun to drive, cheap to buy and insure and comes with a lotta stuff that the basic Fit/Yaris/Aveo don't have?

It'll fit a standard size checked baggage and several standard sized carry-ons. What's the big deal?

13. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the issue is that a Smart is not designed for the driving environment that most of us are used to. Visit a major European city and the benefit becomes apparent: space. I used to wander around Athens and find these things parked everywhere, often along side the motor bikes or together sharing a normal size space on the street. You can't do that even in the smallest of cars that we would consider "normal" here. They also get the diesel option, which is incredibly underpowered by our standards but works just fine if you never have to break 35mph while crawling through traffic while burning a fraction of the fuel. There, it's exactly the right tool for the job.

Stateside we have completely different conditions. It's all about long distance travel on the highway, perhaps with a slow leg at the end. Or sharing the suburbs with the oversized urban assault vehicles that we've convinced ourselves to drive. Our version of the Smart is the Insight, which you could think of as the highway adapted cousin. It's squashed down to cut air resistance rather than squeezed at both ends for improved visibility and to fit into that tight parking space.

In short, just how Smart it is depends on which test you administer.

**EDIT**
    Now with illustrations. :)
    Athens:
    [​IMG]

Prague:
    [​IMG]
    What you really want is feet, but the smart is the best thing with four wheels.

14. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    As originally designed, the Smart Car was. It had a small diesel engine, perfect for Europe. It got very good mileage, in the area of the Prius. It seats two, with two bags of groceries. You can park two of them in the space you park one "normal" car. We have a bunch of these in Canada. Only drawback is they are hard for truck drivers to see, based on comments from several of them to me. It's a perfect large congested city car. Especially if the city is very old and has narrow streets.

Then Mercedes got greedy. They wanted to sell them in the US. So, out went the diesel (emissions), in went a larger gas engine (for safer freeway speeds). Out went the good mileage.
    So now it has to sell on the cute factor. I'm sure it'll do well.

Go look at one. The interior looks like a European kitchen appliance, styling wise. Certainly not your cookie cutter car!

15. Seamus

Seamus Grumpy old man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Yea, right, well around here more likely a quick trip to the liquor store. Hum, now that I think about it maybe it will sell well around here. ;)

16. Optimus

Optimus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Surely you realize he meant the white two story house.

17. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Parking. In many European cities parking is nearly impossible. They park these things sideways between real cars. They do have a purpose, but not for your driving style.

Tom

18. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I am surprised this hasn't been mentioned in this thread, but the so-called Smart Car also requires premium fuel.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep it requires 91. Here in Canada, it's 12¢/litre more for premium. It'll cost the same to refuel a smart as it does to refuel a Yaris (larger tank offsets cheaper price). I understand it's different in the US cause the difference in price between 87 and 91 is larger?

It'll take more than two bags ;) hehe. Well there are several reasons why the diesel went out. One of which is meeting EPA's emissions and the other being Americans don't like diesels. A gas version is easier to sell. We might get the diesel version soon. It's rolling out in Europe in a few months. There's an "mhd" version that'll come out in Sept (hopefully they'll bring it to US/CAN too) and it's basically the gas version with stop/start technology.

20. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    $0.30 per gallon differential in my area.