1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I feel special! I got a coupon from my dealer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Winston, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I got a little card in the mail the other day. It had a few coupons for service at the dealer. One of them was for a 5000 mile service at $109. It did not even list what they did for that amount. That is just crazy! Change oil and filter, rotate tires and check fluid levels. What else could they be doing. I feel bad for the poor saps that just take their car to the dealer and just pay what they ask at the service intervals. They will end up at 100k miles with the original tranny fluid, original brake fluid, original coolant and a wallet about $2500 lighter.

Meanwhile a guy could get his oil changed at jiffy lube for $20 a pop (x20), pay the dealer to replace the tranny fluid, brake fluid, coolant , and clean the throtle body, at 60k miles for about $200, and end up with a nicely serviced car at 100k.

I realize that Galaxee does not agree with these fluid changes, but it has pretty much been proven through fluid analysis that the tranny fluid is wearing out by 50k, the brake fluid must have absorbed quite a bit of water by the time the car is 5 years old, and the corrosion protection of the coolant is questionable after 5 years. Even the original developer of Dexcool never meant for it to go as long as GM recomends. Replacing all fluids at 5 yr/60k is a reasonable interval.

I dont have any problems with the dealer service departments, it is just that they dont do any fluid changes or actual "servicing" for their money. They just "inspect" things.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Winston @ Nov 1 2007, 10:36 AM) [snapback]533375[/snapback]</div>
    eh, we just choose to not stick our noses into that one mostly.

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well around here Jiffy Lube charges $23 if you bring them a coupon for $5 off. My Toyota dealer sends me coupons every month for Oil Changes for $24 plus a free inspection and unless he's real busy, the Prius tech does it. Luckily here he's sorta like the Maytag repairman LOL.

4. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I did not mean anything by it Galaxee. Just acknowledging your excellent post on maintenance items. I just respectfully dissagree with some suggestions of yours.

5. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    My dealer recommends a more extensive 5000-mile service, which includes the basic oil change but lists other things as well (which I don't remember offhand and I don't have the maintenance schedule with me here). It costs about $110. However if you ask them they will admit that the regular Express Lube oil change service is adequate, it's just that they recommend the extra stuff. I figured it was just a way to get you to pay more, since it didn't seem necessary.

6. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    (deleting double post - system timed out so I thought it didn't work the first time.)

7. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's marketing. That's why they gave you a coupon. Go in and redeem it. If they just do oil and tire rotation, and "inspect" a few other things but don't really do anything else, then you're not out any $$.

The ploy, I think, is to get people to opt for the $$ service via coupon and then guilt you into paying for it the next time... "well... you took such good care of your baby the last time you were here, why would you opt for a lower service level now?" :p

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And your dealer feels really special about anyone who pays them $109 for the 5000 miles service.

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Nov 1 2007, 05:38 PM) [snapback]533567[/snapback]</div>
    IMO those people who use the coupon are Special, just like Ed.

10. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Nov 1 2007, 03:19 PM) [snapback]533505[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure the $109 coupon was free! Winston, was the coupon for the "special price" of $109 or was it "worth" $109?

11. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Special 5k service for $109.

Also had an oil change with a mult point inspection for $79. This included oil and filter, plus check fluid levels. WOW?!?!

Funny thing, the 5k service coupon did not even list what they did for the $109.

12. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Winston @ Nov 2 2007, 10:45 AM) [snapback]533862[/snapback]</div>
    Yes they did -- they are going to give you a 5K service! ;)

Why don't you call them and ask what's included. I'm curious.

13. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wow $109 for basically an oil change. I just changed ours myself, took me 30 minutes. I can do it in 15 minutes but I like to let the oil pan drain some before putting clean oil in. As long as I can turn a wrench, I will never pay someone else to change my oil and filter. It's so freaking easy and takes less time than having a dealership or fast change place do it. Come people get off your butts and do it yourself!

14. pkhoury

pkhoury Proud TDI owner

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paprius4030 @ Nov 1 2007, 08:19 AM) [snapback]533418[/snapback]</div>

I don't think I'd go to Pennzoil, err, Jiffy Lube. Same thing - Pennzoil/Quaker State owns Jiffy Lube, and I've heard it's the crummiest oil you can get, that gums up your engine (my brother is a mechanic).

But oil use brings me to a new thread I feel like starting..,

-P

15. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This sad episode is a reminder that dealers' fixed-price standard service packages are a complete rip for a Prius because they usually include items which are unnecessary or even impossible on a Prius. Instead, do what it says in the Prius scheduled maintenance guide, when it says, no more and no less. Tell the service writer explictly what is to be done each time.

16. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, for that price, they'd better give me a free tank of gas... and like 2 of those 5 gal red tanks of gas too.