1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I Figured Out Why the Chevy Volt Is Ugly

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by boulder_bum, May 29, 2007.

1. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think the Chevy Volt is an awesome idea that I'm excited about! It makes me respect Chevy more, and I think it may even put them in a position to be innovators, but I always thought the design looked attrocious, and I think I just figured out why!

Exhibit A:
    [​IMG]

Exhibit B:
    [​IMG]

The Chevy Volt is a car that looks like an SUV!

Right now I think the big drawback to the volt is the appearance, and even though I'd throw cartwheels over an electric car I'd hesitate to buy it just because I think it's so ugly. I'm sure Chevy just wants to give the Volt an eye-catching, futuristic appearance to make it stand out (like the Prius' design), but I wish they made the car look a little more future, a little less gas-guzzler. Maybe GM's design engineers can't think outside of the SUV box because SUVs are at the heart of GM's business.

If the Volt looked more like this, I think I'd but it in a second!

[​IMG]

2. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm glad someone else thinks the low roofed bulked up body styling is ugly as hell. To my eye the style looks too much like a brainless dinosaur: all muscle and no wit or vision, stupidly trampling toward its own extinction - a perception that is completely opposite the spirit of an EV.

MB

3. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The bottom car looks like a death trap if involved in a auto accident. :mellow:

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ May 29 2007, 10:41 AM) [snapback]451539[/snapback]</div>
    That bottom car is a Lexus concept featured in Minority Report.

5. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 29 2007, 11:59 AM) [snapback]451551[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, good eye! I'm surprised anyone would recognize that.

6. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ May 29 2007, 12:41 PM) [snapback]451539[/snapback]</div>
    [​IMG]

Ohhhhhhh...that's the *front* end we're looking at!
    [laughing]

I was thinking it has this neat long-hooded/cut down pontoon fender thing going on...those brushed metal strips evoke memories of the polished exhausts and louvers of 1930's Packards and Duesenbergs...kind of a retro thing...

It just needs to say, 's-u-p-e-r-c-h-a-r-g-e-d'!

The cabin area kind of looks like a mid-30's Cord (not the L-39, the later coffin-nosed one), too, sort of bulbous...wonder if the headlights retract by cranking a handle under the dash...? The hood, come to think of it, *did* have these prominent horizontal chrome trim bars...

Dang!

7. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ May 29 2007, 10:40 AM) [snapback]451538[/snapback]</div>
    But you are in luck! This particular version of an EV will use gasoline! The circle is complete, and it all makes sense.

8. ozyran

ozyran New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ May 29 2007, 07:48 PM) [snapback]451734[/snapback]</div>
    You know, I had a similar feeling dawn upon me as I was looking at that car. I realized that the engineers must have been confused when they designed the seats and the dash, because they accidentally put them in backwards.

As for the Volt, once I laid eyes on the 2009 Prius, the Volt became just awful; IMO, the styling of the Volt is as nauseating as all of the General's trucks, save the Colorado/Canyon (neither of which I like, they just look better than the Silverado and Sierra).

9. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ May 29 2007, 01:41 PM) [snapback]451539[/snapback]</div>
    That car can actually drive up the sides of buildings!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ May 29 2007, 01:40 PM) [snapback]451538[/snapback]</div>
    But entirely apropos to the spirit of GM!

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boulder Bum @ May 28 2007, 10:08 PM) [snapback]451325[/snapback]</div>
    What does it matter what a car that's never going to be built looks like?

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boulder Bum @ May 29 2007, 03:57 PM) [snapback]451709[/snapback]</div>
    A cool Lexus? how can anyone forget that? ;)

12. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    To me, the Volt looks like typical Detroit heavy iron. <_<

The car looks heavy just sitting there . . . even before you try to wrap you mind around the concept
    that this car is supposed to run on heavy electric motors and batteries.

Forget about the weight of the thing - did they even take aerodynamics into account? :huh:

Sooner or later the design gurus at GM will come to the realization that this car design is to big and heavy for battery power and will solve all their problems by dropping in a 505 horsepower LS7 V8 engine from a Corvette Z06 and call it a good compromise between form and function. Heck, the hood is big enough! Oh yes, and they can also say, "this is what our customers demand."

13. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Volt looks like it fell from the top of the ugly tree, and hit every branch on the way down.

With a windshield of that proportion, they'll probably need, like, five wiper arms to actually get sufficient coverage!

I do not know, I don't really see much if anything that might translate into a branded design signature (which is actually applicable to a production car.) Also, I'd be curious how it does in a wind tunnel; all of those flat surfaces and sharp edges can't be helping any.

Does anyone know the Volt's Cd?

And how about those tires and wheels? They don't really look like weight/low rolling resistance was the overriding factor in their design...either the car is REALLY low or the wheels are REALLY big!

It doesn't really strike me as a car designed for efficiency...perhaps that's the real problem with the design.

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ May 30 2007, 02:42 PM) [snapback]452344[/snapback]</div>
    It's a drawing. It doesn't exist and it never will. Can a drawing have a Cd?