1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I Fit a Recumbent Tandem Bicycle in the Prius!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TheDrGene, Apr 27, 2008.

1. TheDrGene

TheDrGene Beard and Sandals Group

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a Rans Screamer tandem bicycle and was curious to see if we could use the Prius to travel to our distant cycling events. (My Ford pick-up gets about 14 mpg on the freeway!). The tandem has S&S couplers that allow the frame to separate into two pieces which eases traveling with the bike. The cables utilize threaded quick connectors. It takes about five minutes to break down the bike. Once the bike was in the pieces and lots of blankets were distributed in the back of the car I tried to put it in there. It only took 3 tries being very careful to keep any grease off the inside of the car. We have now done it several times and we have the technique down to about 6 minutes total for each direction, meaning it takes 6 minutes to break down the bike, put it in the car and 6 minutes pull it out and put it together. People are amazed when we drive up and pull a full size tandem bike from the back of the car. :eyebrows:

Attached Files:

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Good info to know, thanks. Identicle color as the P-38 Lightning ... and their recumbents have gone as high tech as possible, now having a model that folds into a suitcase. I'd buy up, but having already invested a boat load of money just to buy into the standard version, well (as the Prius Haters would say), it just doesn't pencil out.

Biggest thing we carried in the Prius was a pair of Home Depot utility closet sliding doors. Tight fit, but nice to know you can.

3. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wow. I thought I was doing something getting a mountain bike inside the Prius.

Well done, and happy riding !!

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Try a 3-wheeler doing nothing but removing the front wheel, 2 bikes on back, with room inside still for three people

John's Stuff - Toyota Prius Photo Album 108

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    My wife and I fit a full sized bed (mattress, box spring, and frame) in our 2004 Prius. I admit that my wife had to drive and I was a bit cramped in the passenger seat, but we got from Trumbull CT to Hoboken NJ and delivered the bed.

JeffD

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We have a Double Vision recumbent tandem that fits just fine too.

Tom