1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I fixed my wonky cruise control

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tynyyn, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Tynyyn

Tynyyn Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Whenever I press the cruise control button on the stalk, I notice the "cruise" light on the dashboard just blinks. Sometimes when I depress the brake pedal I notice the "cruise" light will stay lit for a while. Made me wonder if the brake light switch was bad. So I trundled down to my local O'reillys and purchased a new brake light switch for $30 and installed it. Now, the amount of time, effort, and swearing was outrageous for the switch installation due to its location and inaccessibility, but after 45 minutes I got the switch installed. Then I went to work and pressed the "cruise" button and it worked perfectly. The light never blinked, but instead was steadily on.

I had purchased a clock spring but it hasn't arrived from China, yet. The clock spring replacement was going to be my main repair for my cruise control problem, but I am glad that the brake pedal switch was the true culprit.

Hope this helps folks who might be figuring out how to fix this problem.

bisco and SFO like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    beware chinese clock springs

3. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah,
    I Second That!!!!!!
    Your better off very carefully uninstalling one from the junkyard. Chances are you will get a good one because people that are not handy tend to get it fixed. The contacts to the airbag are tricky you might have to solder to replace them . But as long as you pull up the locks with a jewelry screw driver you have an 80% chance of getting it out intact.
    This is how I fixed my cruise control.
    And buttons just check the car has the same buttons on the steering wheel you should be golden.
    terramir