1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I Found a Bug!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by fruzzetti, Jan 5, 2008.

1. fruzzetti

fruzzetti Customization-Obsessed

California (Pulled over 6x, ticketed 2x for tint)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK I'm somewhat excited because while production-ready software is always bug-laden (it tries to do too much with too little support code), but a car should be so matured that it is bug-free.

Try this little experiment with me, OK? It's very easy. If you do it will confirm or deny; maybe I'm just insane. It should work with any MkII cars. It's little, but it's kinda neat.

First, start the car.

Second, turn on the lights.

Third, set your "night mode" brightness to be visibly, obviously darker than your "day mode." If your car is already set up this way, you can skip this step.

Fourth, turn the car off. Then turn the lights off, then turn them back on to the first stop which is corners only.

PAUSE: Now you should be able to get into and out of the car without the corner lights going off. If you get out of the car you can alarm it and the corner lights stay on regardless of locking and unlocking.

Fifth, start the car and turn the lights on (up one click from corners on only). Does the MFD stay in day mode? Does the rest of the car (head-up display and dash lighting) stay in day mode?

I have it down to this: either (1) the car only makes the transition from day to night mode when you cross the first level on the headlight switch (cheaper than having it constantly checking whether the lights are on, but obviously less likely to function perfectly), or (2) I messed something up in my car by performing too many modifications.

~ dan ~

2. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm stunned that you stumbled across this. I don't think I would do this sequence of events accidentally.... I have to write it down to remember all the steps to go check it out.

3. fruzzetti

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL :D <3 Thanks; I'm amazed that I noticed it. I don't remember why I wanted to turn the corner lights back on after I turned the car off. I also don't remember why I left it that way rather than turning them back off after I got out and saw that they were on. It was too weird.

But I'm still really shocked and kinda proud to have found any bug, regardless of how trivial, in such a mature, robust product. Seriously!

~ dan ~

4. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There is also a bug with the phone call log. It won't show the correct time calls are received or made. It shows 1 to 2 hours ahead.

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That doesn't really sound like a bug. It sounds like a quirk
    of how the MFD and such check the state of the "illumination"
    lead from the parking lights. Ever hear of "edge-triggered"?
    You powered all that stuff back on with the lights state already
    asserted, so it never saw the transition. I would, however,
    agree that it should be level triggered.
    _H*

6. fruzzetti

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I understand and mostly agree with your logic. I would be fine with it being edge-triggered ( IF status changes to ON { nightmode( T ) }; ) except for this weird possibility of "skipping" the line you must cross.

In a video game, that would be the equivalent of some door that only opens after you pass a certain place to just not open. You could spend hours wandering around trying to find the switch for the door, but it just boils down to "you somehow didn't walk over the right line; when you do it'll open."

I think it should be level-triggered also ( WHILE status is ON { nightmode( T ) }; except this may have been more difficult or expensive to do logically. The most I learned about computers was in a CS minor, so I am not exposed to all the ways they could have done this. I suspect the edge-trigger was easier to implement and in almost all practical uses, just as good at getting the work done.

To me it's a bug because the car INTENDS to be in night mode any time you turn the lights on (unless you've got this overridden).

~ dan ~

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm guessing this won't work on Canadian vehicles lol.

Our AUTO headlights mean we have a light sensor so turning on the headlights in the day doesn't change our MFD/speedo to night mode (unless we go into a really shaded area or stay under a bridge for a while).

8. 9511234

9511234 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yeah, I found it, the 02 Prius I used to have never did it.

Bugs me when I get in and out at night, because you have to turn your lights on and off on the go... looks real smart if you're going down the road and the green starts reflecting off the windshield so you do it then.

Hope they come up with an update... that'd be nice... Go Service Pack 1 ;)