1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I got a dent...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mywhitenoise, Apr 19, 2007.

1. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm pretty pissed off right now. I have no idea how many times I've told my mom to leave the garage door closed, so that I don't accidentally run over my puppy, or he escapes.
    So its open today, and im pulling into the garage, then i see he's running towards the car, so i panick and open the door to get him on my side, i then lose sight, and touch of the brake pedal, and barely stop in time to avoid a crash. But I got a dent on the left of the front bumper now. Is there any way to fix that? How much would it cost? I've seen infomercials of tools that can pop out little dents but they seem too good to be true.

Attached Files:

2. BleedingPony

BleedingPony New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mywhitenoise @ Apr 19 2007, 08:42 PM) [snapback]426485[/snapback]</div>
    hard to say....take it to a stealership and let them have a look at it...they should do so for free

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BleedingPony @ Apr 19 2007, 08:45 PM) [snapback]426526[/snapback]</div>
    why would they do it for free? It's not a manufacturer defect.

mywhitenoise, the bumper is plastic so you might be able to push it out from behind.

4. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, that last picture makes it look like there's something of a "crease" in the bumper that might not easily be repaired by just popping the dent out. Also, since it's plastic, it may not "pop" as easily as metal. It's certainly worth a try, though!

5. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Apr 20 2007, 01:05 AM) [snapback]426588[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I wouldn't care if it was a small ding, but it's a straight line that looks to be about 9 inches. I could try popping it from the back, but could that potentially harm it?

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You could also try a little gentle heat, like a hair dryer, to soften the plastic and help ease the crease. Creased plastic tends to stay creased, unfortunately. The long part may smooth out, but the bit at the top may stay.

With any luck, an Escalade with a hitch will back into your front bumper. :p

It's only a car, your puppy didn't get hurt. You didn't get hurt.

7. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Make your Mom pay for it. :angry:

And then move out! :)

I agree with the 'crease' idea. That will not come out easy (if at all). :(

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mywhitenoise @ Apr 19 2007, 08:42 PM) [snapback]426485[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe it's time to park in the driveway. The dent poppers "as seen on tv" may be able to pop a small ding but I doubt they'd do any good in your situation.

On other bumper damage threads removing the bumper and applying heat from the back worked. You should be able to make it better but I don't think it is entirely reversible.

Cars get dinged. New cars will show more damage sooner than older cars did. Repair or replace it when it gets seriously damaged. One of the Commandments is "honor thy mother and father". Chill.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 19 2007, 11:37 PM) [snapback]426551[/snapback]</div>
    I believe he meant "take it to the shop for a free estimate".

9. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No way am I going to park in the driveway, I have the most valuable car, and there's a lot of a-holes that like to pull pranks in my neighborhood. It's the suburbs, so these kids have nothing better to do than egg cars, or break windows (happened to my brothers car) along with about 15 other cars on the same street.

10. bobc

bobc New Member

Look in the yellow pages for a paintless dent repair person. Ask for references and scope them out. If they're good, they can work magic. It may cost $100-$200.

Don't ask the dealership who does their pdr work. They go for the cheapest person, not the best..

Good luck...