1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I got it! "I agree" killer! Cheap, easy, but...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by naterprius, Dec 29, 2004.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So, here it is. The idea is, keep the NAV ECU powered all the time. The mod is easy, fast, cheap, and effective. There is only one possible side affect: increased parasitic load on the 12V battery.

I'll have to double check my wires, but short pin 9 and 18 together, CUT the gray wire, and feed power from B+ to the B+ and the ACC wire. This fools the NAV ECU into thinking the car is still on. It works perfectly. It may be impossible to eject the DVD with this mod in place, though. The only caveat is will this affect the 12V battery (will it drain dead while parked).

Typical parasitic load on a normal car is around 50 milliamps. More than that is considered an error condition needing service.

I have noticed that the DVD drive spins down if left unused for long periods of time. I suspect that the parasitic load will drop once the disc parks. I don't have an inductive ammeter, so I will have to put one in line to check the load. (brosnan, do you have an inductive ammeter?) Check the parasitic load with car off, mod in place right after using the NAV system, and after the drive has spun down.

Anyway, you will need:
    1 scotchlock
    1 piece of electrical tape
    1 wirecutters

-1. CUT the gray wire (leave enough for step 2 below) so that you are no longer feeding power back into the rest of the ACC circuit (feed it only to the NAV ECU).
    -2. Connect the scotchlock to jumper the blue and gray wires in pin location 9 and 18.
    -3. Tape off both ends of the cut wire so it doesn't short against anything.

Let me know if your battery dies, or the car ceases to function. (Don't hold me responsible if this doesn't work, you take your own chances).

Nate

2. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't have the Nav option in mine, but what's the advantage in keeping it powered continually?

Dave

3. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Re: I got it! "I agree" killer! Cheap, easy, but

Every time you start the car and try to use the NAV system, there's a disclaimer (you have to select "I agree") and language selection that you must bypass. Ironically, it says don't take your eyes off the road, but you must take your eyes off the road to read it.

I have discovered that powering the NAV ECU all the time seems to avoid this.

Nate

4. mss

mss New Member

That is going to be very annoying. There has got to be a better hack. Perhaps strategically placing magic marker on the disk rendering the licence verification unreadable will do the trick, like the failed attempt at CD copy protection not too long ago...

5. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

The best hack would be to crack open the NAV ECU, extract the software, rewrite it, flash it back to the chip. Maybe the DVD itself contains the software? I'll look into that.

Nate

6. mss

mss New Member

I would imagine it is in ROM, which is probably a PROM chip since I believe one of the service updates included programming the ECU.

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's a great start, nate - thanks for sharing it with us. Hopefully the hack can evolve from here!

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to think there's gotta be a way to keep a much lower power level going in to just the important circuit that keeps the system 'awake' rather than powering the entire NAV system.

The parasitic drain bothers me a lot with this solution.

9. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Well, I have confirmed that the DVD drive does spin down after some period of inactivity. I'm going to guess that this is most of the electrical draw. If I recall correctly, though, handheld GPS units draw a significant amount of energy; enough that they can't be kept on constantly. I'll check the parasitic load tomorrow to see how high it is after it sits all night. (If my battery isn't dead!).

So far, so good. Turn the car on, the map is there. Very nice.

As far as a real software hack, I found the text from the menu imbedded in HEX ASCII inside "loading" file on the DVD. In fact, all the menus are there. In interesting hack would be change some of the strings and see if they change on the screen. (I'd need a DL burner and some blanks). Maybe I could experiment with single layer DVD until I figure this out.

I suspect it may be written in vxworks; I'll have a friend take a look at it next month perhaps.

brosnan, do you know what kind of processor is on the board for the NAV? TI? Motorola? Broadcom? Maybe I'll crack mine open this week and take a look.

All I need to do is figure out something at the assembly level and put in a jump statement or a nop (no operation) where execution goes to the screen. There may also be a boolean indicating whether the system has been powered since the last access. If so, it could be set to "true" all the time.

So many simple solutions, I just need to figure out the structure of the code...

For now, I'll report back any issues with my mod. By the way, I made mine completely reversible using some spare Toyota pins and connectors. I pulled the pins from the N2 connector, placed them in a new connector, took the opposite of that connector, put in one male pin connecting to the blue wire, which I soldered to two spare female pins that go back into the N2 connector.

Nate

10. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    .. you guys really know your stuff.. this post is fun to watch :)

11. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

To V8CobraKid:

Hah! I got you fooled...

If I really knew my stuff, I'd post instructions on how to modify the code on your NAV disc to remove the "I agree."

;-)

Nate

12. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    you have proper ideas of how to figure it out. I have a lot of knowlege on items myself.. but i don't quite know the things you know.

13. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Well, in that case, thanks for the compliment. As far as having the right ideas, they come from questions, either my own, or from others. As Einstein put it, the question and the answer are really not different at all, rather the same thing.

For me, this one was: "Every time I turn on the NAV system, I have to push "I agree." How can I avoid having to do this?"

The answer was in the question itself, leave the NAV system on!

My point is, if you think of a question, post it! (perhaps after reading the previous posts to save on the repeats).

Even contributing to the forum in the form of a question is worthwhile, it may provide the answer someone else is seeking.

Nate

14. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Well, I got impatient, and wanted to check the parasitic draw. Without the mod, it's around 20 milliamps (specified limit for a generic car is generally accepted to be around 50 milliamps).

With the mod, it's around 350 milliamps, even after the DVD drive spins down. This level is right at the edge of problematic. I'm uncertain if the Prius' smaller battery has smaller capacity when compared to larger car batteries.

Even if this mod never causes the aux battery to go totally dead, it would likely reduce the lifespan of the aux battery; it would "die for good" at an early age.

I'm on the fence on this one; I may go with this mod anyway.

Nate

15. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Nate,
    Your attempts as the hack are very intereseting. I am curious as to your discoveries on the DVD coding. However, without being reminded every time you get in your car that it's danerous to not watch the road, aren't you concerned that without the [I agree] button you might find yourself staring at the map too much?

*waits patiently to see if anyone thinks he's serious*

16. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Tony, I have now been in 87 seperate collisions since I made this modification. A total of 31 people have died and 47 severely injured. Most of this was caused because the GPS system told me to drive on the sidewalk, so I did, and I have run over quite a few folks that way. A few have been caused by driving on the wrong side of the road. Still others were caused by me ignoring stoplights that were not indicated on the NAV system. The worst one by far (22 casualties) was caused by the time I somehow got the system into "French" mode, and was not given the option to select "English" when I first tried to use the NAV system on that trip. Vou le vou coushay avec moi?

Regardless of this, I am certain that everyone agrees that none of this is my fault, and a lawsuit against Toyota is in order. Perhaps this will encourage the voice command system in the next generation of vehicles to read aloud the legal disclaimer everytime one presses the "voice command" button. This would truly make our society safer.

Nate

17. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Seriously, I've decided to leave this mod in place for a while. To add to the experiment, the car doesn't roll much these days since I'm home on leave with my new daughter. We'll see if I go out one day next week and the battery is dead.

350 milliamps is too high, but we'll see what the detrimental effects are.

Nate

18. brosnan

brosnan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Nate - Just noticed this thread - glad you tried this. The auxiliary battery powers the Nav unit when the car is off. It's rated at 28 Amp hours. If we assume that using half that capacity will drop the voltage below the operating level of the Nav ECU, you've got about 40 hours @ 350mA to still maintain your "I agree" state. And probably about 50 to 80 hours before you have trouble starting the car.

Too bad it's not a bit lower current after the disk spins down. Evan's suggestion of powering up just part of the circuit's a good one, but I think we'll have trouble separating the the sections of the nav ECU. Most likely the I/O lines common between sections will provide parasitic paths for keeping power alive even to sections we disable (unless dozens of lines are cut).

I looked at my photos of the guts to see what kind of processor they use. Unfortunately the likely culprit is an Application Specific IC marked Denso Naviem. If you google that, you'll find references to an embedded Toshiba TX49 CPU. The TX49 core is based on the MIPSTechnologies, Inc RISC design. There are references to 2 possible operating systems (uITRON and MS Windows Automotive). It's not clear whether any of these comments apply to the Prius nav system, but most likely the bit which gets set when we press the "I Agree" button resides in a RAM location in an embedded processor inside this Naviem chip.

This Japanese web site: http://response.jp/feature/navi_2002guidea...122_11_024.html shows a similar Naviem part # and says it's got a 64 bit 200MHz RISC CPU on an 0.18um process with 3D video processing engine, GPS engine and VRAM all on one chip. There are also 2 Samsung 64Mbit SDRAM (K4S641632F) chips near the Naviem. There's some chance the "I Agree" state is stored in this memory (160mA refresh current on the data sheet). Or maybe firmware is loaded from the DVD and executed from the SDRAM.

19. brosnan

brosnan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    timer?

Here's a thought - most of us probably drive our car at least once a day most of the time. It sounds like we would not drain the auxiliary battery too much each night by leaving the Nav ECU powered up in that case. Each time we go on a drive, the battery will be recharged. And we won't have to endlessly "agree" on each trip.

So the real problem comes when we don't drive the car for a few days. How about we just build a timer which keep the Nav ECU powered for a maximum of 24 hours (for example) and then shuts it off? It could alternately just wait for the auxiliary battery voltage to drop to ~10 Volts, then turn off the Nav ECU. Either way we won't unduly drain the battery and we'll greatly reduce the number of times we need to press the "I agree" button.

By the way, I estimate that by leaving the nav powered all the time wastes the equivalent of about 0.01 gallons of gas per day, if I did the math right. In other words, recharging the auxiliary battery each day to recover the overnight drain will consume an extra 0.01 gallons. So if you drive 20 miles a day, your mileage would be reduced about 2% by leaving the nav powered all the time.

20. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Drove the car last night for the first time since implementing the mod. Started right up, no issues. That makes over 40 hours plus all the extra power I drew messing around for a few hours before.

Not bad. Maybe the draw fell quite a bit after it sat for a few more hours. I'll keep everyone posted.

By the way, with all this talk about voiding warranties, this one could void your warranty on your aux battery; that is, if your car dies, and needs to come in for service, it's likely because of this mod, and you might have to pay for the repair.

Nate