1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I got one!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bob Allen, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi: I got a call from my car finder; she located a Trac Prius in Salem, OR Option #1, Silver, with about 3500 miles on it, and did I want it? We've confirmed the car is mine, and are negotiating to have the Salem dealer drop the "certification" surcharge (2k). My broker doesn't think he'll do that since he has people lined up, probably, but he was at least open to the idea.
    The certification fee does include something, although probably not worth 2k. It is Toyota's extended warranty, not something issued by the dealer. For this little surcharge I get:
    1. Free roadside assistance, fuel delivery, towing.
    2. Floor mats and cargo mat
    3. Drive train and powerplant extended warranty up to 6yrs/100k (increase from the standard 5yr/60k warranty)
    4. (This is my favorite): a "160 point inspection" (God knows what that is).
    5. She thought there was more, but we didn't have time to get more info today. I think the mats are worth about $150 or so. Roadside assistance could be very useful since I plan some long trips in this puppy and who knows what Prius service is like in Tuna Junction?

My broker normally suggests that buyers resist these charges as they are mostly fluff designed to pad profits. In this case, however, she recommends accepting the car, even if she can't negotiate out the surcharge, because she is seeing literally nothing out there. She has three people behind me on her list, one salivating madly, who will buy the car at the asking price, no questions asked.
    Most likely, we are into the 2005 model year, in which case my wait would probably be until summer. Neither of my dealers has even hinted at an available car; my first dealer (see other posts) will probably not have a car to offer me for a year, given his turnover rate.
    So, I'm biting the bullet and going for it. 3500 miles isn't that much on a car with a likely life of 150k or more.
    I'd appreciate hearing from any of you who've been offered a different car than you wanted, and with some miles on it.
    My original choice was Seaside Pearl with Option #1, so I'm not that far off. Given the almost inevitable surcharges right now, the other option packages would put the car out of my budget.
    I'm supposed to hear from my broker tomorrow about finalizing the deal. She thinks the dealer will ship the car to my house...wouldn't that be a hoot? If the deal falls through because of some nonesense last minute stuff, I'll be asking for email shoulders to cry on.
    This web site is fabulous. I have gotten so much out of hearing all of your stories and getting some ideas about what's realistic and what's wishful thinking in the process of buying a Prius. Hopefully, in a few weeks, I'll be asking questions about how the damn thing works.
    Anyone else get silver when they wanted almost any other color? How is it being the color of wet cement?
    Thanks,
    Bob

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the extended Warranty is the 7/100k/$0 deductible one it is available for purchase from other dealers for as low as $980--I'd base the value of that $2000 add on on that number. I paid $1035 for mine. You can buy it any time in the first 3yr/36k mile period.

Congrats on getting your Prius.

3. bbridgewater

bbridgewater New Member

Wow! Congrats! According to the model cost simulator sheet I got from my dealer, the floormats are $184.

Let me know how it feels to drive your very own Prius!!

Beth

4. rflagg

rflagg Member

Congrats Bob! Keep us updated on how everything goes. :)

-m.