1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I got Roomba

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by toyoprius, Dec 30, 2004.

1. toyoprius

toyoprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The new Roomba Discovery is to the original Roomba what the 2004/2005 Prius is to the Prius Classic. Take a peek here.

Got Pet?
    Get Roomba!

2. Batavier

Batavier Member

I've been wanting to buy one for ages now, but they will not be available over here until March next year or so. :(

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I read some user reviews of that. They were mostly very negative. Slow, small, cannot do a big room on a single charge, small dirt capacity, weak sucking power, etc., etc., etc. Great idea, but does not live up to its promise.

Disclaimer: I've never seen one. The above is based on reviews I read.

4. toyoprius

toyoprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    But Daniel! I read some user reviews of the Prius Classic. They were mostly very negative. Slow, small, dowdy, small capacity, weak acceleration, etc., etc., etc. Great idea, but did not live up to its promise...

Then along came the 2005/2005! Similarly with the 2nd generation Discovery Roomba.

Seriously, can it be justified on a purely practical basis? Debatable. But is it high tech? Definately. It uses the same algorithms the manufacturer uses on its military mine sweeping robots. Will it clean a floor or short pile carpet adequately? Yes. Is it fun? YES! Even even down to the "uh-oh" when it (rarely) gets caught in a lobster-trap of chairs or furniture. It serves our purposes well: takes care of a daily vacuuming of pet hair and winter salt/sand in the living areas. Ordinarily we might (cough, cough) get around to vacuuming on a weekly basis.

I even ordered its competitor here (down from the original $299 to a what-the-heck $89) to compare and contrast. Let the robot wars begin!

5. Ms. Piggy

Ms. Piggy New Member

Oooh - vacuum demolition derby, anyone?

6. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    GAME ON!!!

Guaranteed my Gizmo would win. Gizmo being my cat.

Day one he would have that thing flipped on it’s back in a corner with Roomba guts spread around the place!
    Anything that moves is fair game in his mind. And if the Roomba tries to play Possum with him - all the better . . . he has all the patience in the world to wait for that stupid thing to make the first move.
    As for Gizmo qualifying as a vacuum . . . he loves to be slid on his back across the hardwood floors and he does a wonderful job at picking up dust bunnies in hard to reach areas with his whiskers and fuzzy face.

O.K. So he’s a dust mop!

BUT, unlike the Roomba, he is interactive, quiet, cleans elevated surfaces, hunts down and eats bugs, and he is self cleaning!
    As an added bonus, Gizmo also does windows! Actually, he is licking the condensation . . . but the window is amazingly clean where he licks.

Let's see the Roomba do that!

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hooray for Gizmo!!! Hooray for cats!!! Cats rule, vacuum cleaners suck! :D :D :D

8. bookrats

bookrats New Member

So, is it programmed to do assasinations yet?

I'm holding out for that feature.