1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I gotta say, I'm gonna keep it.

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Paul Gregory, May 31, 2024.

1. Paul Gregory

Paul Gregory Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I had a few complaints with my 2024 Prius Prime, sure, but I am working through them. Some will get fixed with updates and recalls, sure, but as it is, I am happy with my purchase.

Yvrdriver, dbstoo, daisy555 and 4 others like this.
  2. soft_r

soft_r Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    K

Preebee likes this.
  3. Blackat

Blackat Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Thanks for sharing?

Preebee likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    damned with faint praise

5. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    lol

*A huge sigh of relief from the Toyota family*

6. Paul Gregory

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    It's always been consumers vs. dealers in here.
    Quite some different points of view sometimes.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there aren't any dealers here that i'm aware of

8. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some different, some with sarcastic humor and a few downright snarky.

I’m grateful most are supportive and generous with their time and experience. Personally I think it’s helpful to share that you are happy with your new car especially considering you initially had some complaints.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Still, two threads, one for cons, one for pros? ;)

5th gen'rs seem a chauvinistic lot, the lack of spares, cracked rear trim pieces and so on haven't been enough to dampen their enthusiasm, yet.

bisco likes this.
  10. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    They could sell five times the current US sales if Japan could get them over here.

Preebee likes this.
  11. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The secrets of the (forum) universe have been discovered!
    IMG_5256.jpeg

The Big Bang theory is just a gen3 blowing a hole in the block.

#11 rjparker, Jun 2, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2024
  12. samsprius1

samsprius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Going on a year now with my midnight black limited AWD, i’ve yet to see another one and I am in a major metropolitan area in the upper Midwest? my dealer still has used cars on the new car showroom!

bisco and daisy555 like this.
  13. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    It's always nice to hear that someone has found a car that matches their needs and desires. I'm driving mine for about 10 hours a day four days each month. You can't really do that in a car that you dislike. I enjoy the features and the comfort while driving. I was really looking forward to the new safety features, and they have saved my butt a few times.

GcinFl and daisy555 like this.
  14. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    I too am very happy with it. If/when we need a second car, I'm really having a hard time not wanting to get another. Though perhaps it will be a gen 6 by the time we get around to it.

In terms of value for money, it might not be worth it depending on how much we drive the second car when the kids are older for stuff like sports, or even just trying to get home early when my wife is on off shift. But the fact we save so much in gas is huge with the car as our primary commuter. Most of the time we only need 1 car, so it might be hard to justify the expense of a new prius down the road. Maybe if Toyota has a proper full EV that meets our needs, then paying a premium for that as our main commuter, and the prius as our secondary, that might be fine.

It's going to depend on how often we drive once both my wife and I are back to work post parental leave and once our kids are both in school and have after school activities. Shift work for my wife means that we need one car at home to guarantee chores can be done and kids can get to sports or lessons when she's driving to work on evenings and weekends, which is about a third of her scheduled time.

15. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    We have two cars. A 14 year old Camry Hybrid and my 5 month old Prius Prime. The Camry is only getting driven 10 to 20 miles a month, so it's not really needed for much. It's more of an 'as needed in an emergency' car. Even when I'm out of town the wife has become accustomed to using Uber to deliver the takeout meal she used to drive to.

The insurance makes it impractical to keep the Camry but it's the wife's car so we hold onto it.

I figure that at some point we will have practical driver-less taxis that we can call as needed. Then we can sell the cars and revert to using mass transit like we did as teenagers.

16. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Yeah, depending on how often its needed, we've been fine with one car. Even our old 03 thats developing rust I drive once a month maybe twice. But right now that's because my wife is on mat leave.

If it can survive another winter or two, we'll be happy. But if we only need to use uber 2 or 3x a month, or cabs even, its cheaper than a new car obviously. Though as we both return to work, there are considerations related to childcare, before/after school care, stuff like that. And carseats don't exist in ubers/cabs for kids, so my wife would need to do the long-ish 55km roundtrip commute using a cab. Public transit to her job in particular is miserable, easily 90-120 minutes each way. My round trip is 90 minutes total on an average day. Half hers. So she was always the one with the car initially :p

17. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I'm approaching 10 months with my PPPXP (Pretty Prius Prime (XSE Premium). I know the golden rule of satisfaction is what is delivered vs what was expected. In my case expectations were really high but even so the car met and/or exceeded almost all those expectations. Yea it's not perfect: for me it has been luggage space, impractical tires and the 12V battery, but I knew the first two issues before buying it and the 12V battery issue seems manageable. I have a bit over 13K miles so far including several road trips and it has been great.

As an engineer who craves efficiency, it has been an easy call to pick that over "fun" and have no regrets with the first two Prii, in fact I kinda miss my Gen1 still. With the Gen5 though, it is nice to have a car that can provide quite a bit more fun (well, a least relative to earlier Prii) and still get great MPGs.

I have also been pining over a PHEV since the first Prime came out and at least for my driving habits, it syncs up nicely. Pure electric for months at a time driving around town and then for road trips, only a 5-minute fuel stop for 450-500 miles of driving.

will

HacksawMark likes this.
  18. Paul Gregory

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    When I look at my new Prius Prime XSE, and I see the low roofline I'm amazed that I can squeeze into it.

Prius Maximus and daisy555 like this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and gen 6 is supposed to be lower

Prius Maximus likes this.
  20. Paul Gregory

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Well, then they better let your rear end sit lower.