1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I guess I'm one of you guys now?!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by stemchick, Mar 23, 2008.

1. stemchick

stemchick Montana Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My husband I were looking at a vehicle with good gas mileage for my 67 mile commute to my new job. We were seriously considering a Pontiac Vibe, until someone came through the conveneince store in our town in a Prius! We thought it wouldn't get good gas mileage with the long distances between towns out here, until we talked with this woman. She told us the worst mileage she got was 40MPG!! That was way better then the Vibe. Then we went to the dealership in Billings, and I saw all the extras I could get will it as well, and I was SOLD! I love my new car, and find myself finding excuses to drive somewhere as I don't start my new job (and commute) until April 1st. It is so fun to see how my driving affects the MPG, and to see if I can get better MPGs than my hubby! I'm glad you guys are here as well, hopefull you can share some wisdom, and help when and if I need it!

[​IMG]

2. SpartanScott

SpartanScott Michigan Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great story and great choice of color! I too test drove a Vibe but the Prius has much more power and features. 42mpg is my worst trip mileage. With a 67 mile drive it should be easy for you to get 50+mpg daily. Enjoy your new purchase.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome to PriusChat, stemchick! There's lots of information here about getting good milage. Three basics are: inflate your tires to 42 psi front/40 psi rear, anticipate stop signs and lights and try to coast to them, don't drive at high speed. That's really simplified, but it will help. Look at the sticky posts in the forums that interest you for more good info. Have fun driving and congratulations on your new car and new job!

4. HardCase

HardCase SilverPineMica, the green one

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Greetings and welcome to a fellow Montanan. Although I live in a different part of the state, I've been through Jordan and other parts of eastern MT many times over the years and love the area. You have picked what may well be the most perfect car for your commute. The tire inflation advice you've rec'd is good, and you'll also definitely want an EBH installed (engine block heater) before next winter!! It'll make a big difference.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    And from yet ANOTHER (part-time) Kalispell-ian (?) welcome! It's so weird to see so many prius' in the remote parts of the northwest, as I'm used to driving behind gas-rich exaust smelling pickups and the like up there ... who ever thought? Anywho, many cold winter drivers opt for rugged snow tires (or in MT, studs are legal) and we fall in that group ... so you may want to keep that in mind. Enjoy!

6. stemchick

stemchick Montana Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the awesome advice! The dealership told me that I wouldn't need a block heater, but after reading here I think that I may need one. The advice about the stop lights makes me laugh! We don't have any out this way, butg I will keep that in mind when I go to the city. My husband still does own a pick up (I couldn't handle him putting dead animals in my car!). He did tell me that it would remain parked uless we were going out in the country, or the weather was bad (when it rains our roads become a gumbo mess!). Other than that, we drive it, and I think he likes it more than me! I will definately peruse the boards and take advantage of all the advice!

7. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, you are definitely one of us now. Congrats on the new Prius and congrats on the new job.

I was going to ride my motorcycle to work, but the Prius won the toss. ;) That is how much I love driving this car. Tomorrow can be another toss up. :D