1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I guess it's time for "This question is going to make me feel like an Idiot"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jeffery Merrill, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Jeffery Merrill

Jeffery Merrill Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Okay, so I understand my 09 Pk5 has an antitheft system. How does it function? If someone drives away while I have the SKS in my pocket will it just die after a certain distance? Is it turned off if I start the car and walk away? If I get too far will it automatically shut down? Will it shut down if I am away for a certain amount of time?

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The car will keep running until it is powered down or runs out of gas.

Mendel Leisk and Jeffery Merrill like this.
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A little inconvenient but you could use the mechanical key from the fob to lock it. You may be able to get a spare mechanical key from a locksmith.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I was in your situation, that is what I would do, make a full size spare key and manually lock the car with it. More convenient than using the mini key from the fob.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  5. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I guess it's time for "This question is going to make me feel like an Idiot"

As the saying goes...
    "There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." :rolleyes:

Mikesvagen and Prodigyplace like this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey!
    I resemble that remark!

Montgomery, WilDavis and RRxing like this.
  7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    How else did we get to PriusChat?

8. Jeffery Merrill

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, Damn! I don't have time, or a third arm, to lock the door while out on a delivery. As a rule if I am at a single family home and can see the car I don't bother shutting down and locking, but if I have to go into an apartment complex or otherwise can't see my car I will do a full shutdown and lock. I'm going to have to do some experimenting with it, see what happens when I am away from the car with it on, and press the panic button or the lock button on the fob.

9. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wouldn't it be easier to just shut off the car? Doing that with your old car would involve stressing the battery with starting the engine every time. The Prius, once the engine is warmed up, does not have that issue. Once powered off, nobody can take it if the fob is not near the car.

10. Jeffery Merrill

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In my years as a driver no one has actually tried to take my car, but then again I've never had such a great car as this so I may be a little paranoid. Being partially disabled I'm already slow, so full shutdown and restart will make me that much slower. That's why I was hoping the SKS and alarm features were more sophisticated.

11. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Fob in pocket and learn from touch where the door lock button is? Is it really so much more to turn the "engines" off and restart on return? I'm thinking of my trip to the dump. Even if I will only be stopped for 10 seconds, I still turn the "engines" off and I'd be 15 feet away max.

kenoarto likes this.
  12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe the lock button will not work with the car turned on. You must use the physical key.

13. Jeffery Merrill

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Fob button placement isn't a problem, it's similar to the fob from my 05 Corolla. 10 to 15 seconds may not seem like a lot to you but multiplied by the 30 to 35 deliveries I do daily add up eventually.

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    He didn't say that it takes 10 to 15 seconds to shut down, then later restart the car. Instead, he does those steps even when out just 10 to 15 seconds.

Shutdown shouldn't take any extra time at all, just hit the Power button instead of Park. Restart should take only 2 to 3 seconds of computer rebooting. This will insure that no one can take the car.

Locking / unlocking will add some extra time, but that is a separate option for when you will be out of sight.

kenoarto and Prodigyplace like this.
  15. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Pull up to parking spot
    Push pedal parking brake
    Push park button
    Push start stop
    Release pedal parking brake
    Hop out of car
    Grab package from wherever
    Shut door to wherever
    Reach in pocket
    Push lock button on fob

Return to car
    When near, either push unlock button on fob if you have something to put in the car or reach in pocket and push unlock on fob or just grab door handle

Easie peasie.

16. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't, I would just apply the park brake press P and get out. There is no need to shutdown for such a short stop.
    Maybe, but multiply it by 30-40 times per shift, and it all adds up.
    It won't allow the car to lock with the fob inside the car, that is why we suggested you use a separate full sized (more convenient) key. put it on a retractable badge/key reel that is attached to a belt loop would be the best option.
    It actually is very sophisticated and a lot of thought has gone into the final design to come up with something that works and protects people from themselves.

In the application that Jeffery is using, I would only shutdown completely for (end of run) stops and breaks or other long (10 min+) stops. I would have no problem leaving the car READY as long as the car was locked when I'm out of sight of it.

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't see how using a mechanical key is going to save any time at all. It adds it least as much time as the other steps being avoided.

18. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Me too! (…am I allowed to say that here? o_O …actually I feel like an idiot every time I post anything here!) :(

Jeffery Merrill and Prodigyplace like this.
  19. Jeffery Merrill

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Okay, I think I should clarify things a tiny bit here. Let me draw in your minds eye a typical delivery run. I am at the shop, I collect my three orders from the computer and pack them up, making sure I have all sides and 2 liters of pop ready to go. I carry the bags out, set the bag in my right hand on top of the car above the passenger side front door, slide my right hand behind the door handle, wait for the beep and unlock, and open the door. I place the bags in my left hand on the seat, the pop on the floor, then put the bag on the roof on top of the ones already in the seat, close the door. I then walk around the car, get in, foot on brake and hit power. While the car is powering up I put my seat belt on. When the car shows ready, I reverse out and head to my first delivery. Once there, I hit [P], grab the top bag(s) along with any extras or pop, get out, walk to front door, do the transaction, walk back to car, put the bags in the back seat behind the drivers seat, get in and put seat belt back on, flip it into [D] and head off to next. Repeat. If a delivery is at an apartment building or the customer wants the order delivered to back door or garage or something, I will power down the car, get out with the order, close door then hit the lock on the fob, then go do the delivery, return, go to open the door, realize I forgot to unlock both fronts and rears, hit unlock again and place bags in back seat behind drivers seat. Hit power, do seat belt, ,hit [D] and head back to shop or next delivery.

I am forgetful, you should know this right away. If I don't have a system for it I forget it. The above description is the system I use for all of my deliveries and have been using for years. Since I am old and forgetful, when I get a new car I have to develop the system to include the new car and do it enough to make it so I can't forget something. A part of all this is that being older, overweight, and partially disabled, I am already slow, so every extra step takes more time my job doesn't like. I'm the guy you don't want to be stuck behind when you are late for an appointment, I generally try to stay within a few miles of the speed limit, another reason I am a slower driver.

I'm not too overly concerned with someone stealing the car, except for a couple of areas I typically work in, so walking 20 to 30 feet away leaving it powered on isn't much of concern. Basically what it boils down to is finding out what the anti-theft system does and doesn't do.

When I said I had hoped for the SKS system to be more sophisticated I meant that the ability to kill the power in the car to prevent it from getting too far from the fob in my pocket, say 100 yards.

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't this part customizable, so that it can bet set to unlock all doors on the first click? Or am I confusing that with some other lock-unlock features?

Prodigyplace likes this.