1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I hate flying pebbles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by elmofongo, Mar 6, 2006.

1. elmofongo

elmofongo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My Prius is not even 3-week old and I got hit by a flying pebble from a truck that's 3 lanes away from me. AARGH!!! Now I have a small pit on the driver side.
    Should I do something about it? Will it spread?

-AdrianO

2. the fish

the fish Member

My one week old got dinged by a pebble. You can see a small amount of greyish metal in the chip.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes. You don't want it to travel. Hire a professional. They have glass repair stuff they can put in it where you'll hardly know it's there. If you leave it it may develop into a crack, travel and then you'll need a whole new windshield.

I sympathize. I had a clear bra installed on my hood first thing I got the car. Then I got into an accident and the hood was replaced. The guy said not to install another clear bra for 30 days. In a week I had a chip in the hood. All the way down to the metal. Black car. :-(

4. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm lucky to not have any glass rock chips, however I have 2 chips in the hood. Annoying. I have touchup paint, but have yet to apply it. the key is to not use the brush, but use a toothpick to dab paint in place, just enugh to fill the chip.

I'm not sure where to get a clear bra in my area? Any ideas, it has to be east of the Cascades.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Let an auto glass shop look at the damage and see if they think the repair would be suitable. I had repair on 2001 Prius windshield 4 years ago, the crack-lines have not spread further since. In more recent conversation with a glass guy, he was surprised that this type of repair had lasted 4 years. As I intend to drive this car very far, I am counting on a new windshield at some point. Quote was $150 for aftermarket glass; don't know Toyota's price.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hehehehe try following a Manitoba Highways sanding truck down the Trans Canada.

I'm laughing *with* you, not *at* you.

Seriously, the "joy and wonder" of owning a car. You have to expect these sort of things. I've got two knicks in my windshield, which Autopac repaired for me. Also have a couple of knicks in the headlights.

7. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I feel your pain :( . I had my Prius for about a week when it happened to me. Mine came from a truck that was hauling and uncovered load of dirt and gravel. I was so ticked off that I got the license plate and the company name and phone number. Called up the company, they admitted that the load was uncovered (required to be covered), and they said they were willing to replace the windshield. The company called up the local glass guy. I went to see the glass guy and he told me my window chip wasn't so deep and that it would not spread. He suggested not to replace the windshield right now (didn't need to even be sealed to prevent spreading) because the factory seal.

So, to make a long story short, the company wanted to pay for a new windshield so I have non-expiring gift certificate for a new original equipment windshield including labor whenever mine breaks. By the way, the replacement cost for a 2006 Prius windshield is $1300 since the only glass for 2006 Prii that is available is made by Toyota. No after market glass available yet...to new.

My suggestion for you AdrianO is to get the ding fixed and wait on replacing the windshield because of the cost and because you will lose your factory seal.

8. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You want OEM glass anyways.

9. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Find a Novus dealer in your area. I've found them to have the best results of the different repair methods

10. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you google for auto glass repair quote, you can find many places that will give you a immediate quote for repair or replacement. There are many places that will come right to your home. A few years ago when I had a small crack, I wanted to watch them fix it, but I stepped inside the house and missed the entire thing because it was so fast. The total cost to repair my '88 Stanza was under $100.

www.safelite.com quotes a 2006 prius replacement at $283 and a repair at $69.

11. xbdude

xbdude opticat

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It is interesting that Florida law requires insurance companies to repair or replace cracked windshields with no deductable. My Tacoma was struck TWICE by flying pebbles-- enough to put about an inch-long crack both times. The repair guy installed a factory windshield in about 20 minutes (both times). The only thing missing was my Toyoguard-inspired VIN number engraved in the glass.

If it is just a chip, the repairs work fine. But cracks seem to get larger with time.

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    heck i got so many dings on my hood it aint even funny. i orginally bought a tube of touch up paint thinking it would be an expensive $10.

now im realizing that i will be spotting quite a bit. now i got my biggest gouge in the same way as the OP. behind a gravel truck, i moved to the far left lane and a rock from him (had to be him) hit me anyway. the tragic part of it was, is that i could have sworn i saw the rock bounce out of the back of the truck, then was immediately deflected by a car into my lane and normally it would have been flat on the ground, but another car nicked it popping up in the air just in time to meet the hood of my Prius...

and yes, i will have to say that the aluminum hood (or whatever its made of) dents easily, metal is soft and therefore dings have become much easier to acquire than i would like to admit.

13. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, I got you all beat. I got a highway windshield chip from a rock the day after I picked up my '05 Prius. It was frustrating, but the repair folks did a good job. Had the chip drilled, then filled. Can barely notice it.

Rick

14. elmofongo

elmofongo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

How big was the chip?
    I wonder if mine is even worth doing something about.

15. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I can top that flying rock story. Last friday a fist sized rock came flying off a dump truck in front of me and hit the hood emblem dead center. It created a Toyota emblem shaped dent about an inch deep.

The lowest repair quote so far is $447. I got the construction company name and number from the driver, but so far they have not returned any of my calls. I'll give them about a week or so to at least acknowledge my presence and if they haven't, then next will come a formal demand letter followed shortly afterwards by a trip to small-claims court.

16. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Definitely! Especially if it is a brand new car!

And yeah...I know I should expect dings and chips from rocks...but not so soon :( !

17. Stepclimb

Stepclimb Junior Member

Ditto what the previous poster wrote about insurance companies (not just in FL).

My insurance company will send a glass repair guy to my house to repair a ding/chip for free. No deductible is charged. It's much cheaper for the insurance company to repair the chip now instead of handling the claim for a new windshield when the unrepaired chip spreads into a crack.