1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I hate the smell of mildew in the morning ...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Vic Doucette, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Vic Doucette

Vic Doucette Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    For the last couple of mornings, I've noticed a whiff or three of mildew immediately after start-up. My car has been garaged since I bought it, and there was no rain in the area yesterday; it rained last night, but the car was dry from being inside the garage, of course.

The smell goes away after a few moments, but returns the next morning.

About 6,500 miles on the car, FWIW.

Any ideas?

2. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vic Doucette @ Oct 9 2007, 07:25 AM) [snapback]523040[/snapback]</div>
    If you use recirculation a lot, that may be the problem. I use it a lot and used to have that problem. Leave the windows open a little when it's parked to air it out and shut off recirculation when you don't need it.

3. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vic Doucette @ Oct 9 2007, 07:25 AM) [snapback]523040[/snapback]</div>
    Check your cabin air filter (it's right behind the bottom glove compartment; you will need to remove the bottom glove compartment but it is easy to do). I had the same problem with the mildew smell at startup too; especially after it rained and as in your case even if the car was garaged and dry. Turned out for me a critter (mouse??) started to build a nest on top of my cabin air filter.

Rick
    #4 2006

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ask your service shop to make sure that the A/C evaporator drain hole is not plugged.

If you use recirc a lot it can help to run the heater for a minute just before parking the car to help dry out the evaporator.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius