1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I hauled over 600lbs + 2 people and got 58.2mpg!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jaguaraja, Jun 3, 2006.

1. jaguaraja

jaguaraja New Member

So we're finishing our basement and are putting in laminate flooring and purchased 22 units (27/lbs ea.) + the foam padding that goes underneath. I reset the trip computer once we loaded up and went home. It was a 21 mile trip on a sunny warm day, mostly highway with cruise at 65mph

you can see that the rear of my prius is riding low. i can't understand how i got 58.2 mpgs, i've never gotten that high with just me in the car! Well here's the proof.

Suffice it to say, I had no problems hauling this load. I was excited to fill the car near capacity and ecstatic to see my mpg results.

[attachmentid=3685]

[attachmentid=3686]

[attachmentid=3687]

2. guberif

guberif Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jaguaraja @ Jun 3 2006, 09:50 PM) [snapback]265423[/snapback]</div>

That's actually quite funny - my wife and I used our Prius about 6 months ago to haul home a ton of Harmonics Flooring, and the kits, - I thought the car might bottom out, but it hauled it like a champ.

By the way, the flooring looks great - take your time and have lots of extras!

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good job and well done! It has been raining these couple of days. When did you do it? It looks sunny in the pic.

Dennis

4. jaguaraja

jaguaraja New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Jun 4 2006, 12:01 AM) [snapback]265426[/snapback]</div>
    Hey Dennis, the picture is actually a few weeks ago, i just got lazy when it came to putting the pics online

5. jaguaraja

jaguaraja New Member

any reason why i got such a high mpg?

6. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would say you got higher MPG because your car sits lower to the ground. Its just like in NASCAR the lower the car sits to the ground the better the arrow dynamics. Your car looks like a low rider in those pictures. :D

7. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jaguaraja @ Jun 4 2006, 01:09 PM) [snapback]265620[/snapback]</div>
    From what i understand, this is my only explanation...

It only takes 20hp to take a 200Hp car to cruise at 60mph. A Prius doesn't have 200hp, however this shows little energy is used to keep at car at a constant speed... hince the highway driving plays a fact.

...but a prius gets WORSE mpg highway... strange

An electric motor gives the MOST torque at 0RPM, as RPM increase the torque of the motor lowers. i would think that at such a speed, the electric motor would have to use HIGH torque to haul all that weight, so the car would prefer to use the motor vice the ICE.

somehow i think the CVT played a major part keeping a low RPM on the Elec. Motor, giving a high torque. using the ice as maybe an "assist" for small hills... or to recharge the traction Batt.

an elec. motor is 90% effecient usually too...

8. jmpenn

jmpenn New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jaguaraja @ Jun 4 2006, 01:09 PM) [snapback]265620[/snapback]</div>
    *shrug* 600+ lbs of momentum at highway speeds? Any elevation loss across the entire trip would help as well.

9. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    COOL!!!!

I just hauled 600 lbs of gardening supplies from Lowe's to my house. Hardwood mulch, sod, bagged topsoil, flowers and plants! Pretty versatile car we have!

10. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's it! I'm filling in my cargo area with concrete. I'm sick of my silly 50mpg empty!

11. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Okay, Darrell, you get the humor star for that one today! That's hilarious!

Here's a 48 MPG trip with 4 adults, one kid and car seat, 4 bikes, and a baby tow-along cart (what do you call these?).

90+ degree day with A/C on and about a 1,500 foot climb and subsequent descent to and from a Black Hills bike trail.

This car rocks.

Cheers,

Curt.