1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I have 500 to spend to upgrade sounds

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by bobisbob66, May 19, 2008.

1. bobisbob66

bobisbob66 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi all -

I have $500 to spend on upgrading the sounds in my 2005 Prius :D. My current system is the basic head-unit. I have a box that plugs into the CD-Changer port in the back of the radio in order to provide an Aux-In. (This I use to hook up my MP3 player and my XM Satellite receiver.)

So, can I get some recommendations on how to spend the 500 beans? I was thinking I could just add an Amp, or perhaps upgrade the speakers. I am interested in getting the most "bang" for my buck. I listen to everything from Classical to Metal, from Jazz to Bluegrass. My biggest issue right now is that the input from my MP3 player is a bit weak and I wind up cranking the radio to 50 or so.

Thanks for the input!

2. rep308

rep308 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I vote new speakers for the front and back.

Boston Acoustic Pro60 [​IMG]

6-3/4" component speaker system $399 for the Front

Rear Door
    Boston Acoustics S65

6-3/4" 2-way car speakers $119 for the Rear

Over budget $20. You can add an amp and when you get more money but start with quality speakers.

3. prius_gt

prius_gt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I would suggest getting the JL Audio CleanSweep system. It should improve sound quality with the OEM head unit and allow you to integrate and get the most out of aftermarket items.

4. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Do you actually have any experience upgrading the base stereo in any Prius? The CleanSweep CL441dsp does nothing useful unless the frequency response of the stock head unit and amp need correction (definitely the case with JBL audio, which the OP does not have).

5. prius_gt

prius_gt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for clarifying, I don't have experience with the Prius base stereo as of yet. Just trying to provide a suggestion.

6. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I say go for a four-channel amp and at least front component speakers.
    You can do a decent set of 6-1/2" components for around $200 and an
    amp for $200-$300. Make sure your amp has speaker level inputs, otherwise you'll need a line level converter (which can be had for $29, so not biggie there).

7. bobisbob66

bobisbob66 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is good. I appreciate the input.

I recall from my youth the logic in upgrading speakers first, and then going for a nice clean amp. That recommendation sounds like it still applies here and now. So, I'm leaning in rep308's direction.

It also seems likely that installing new speakers will be easier than installing an amp.

[however, now I think I'll poke around in the forum for some good descriptions on both of those endeavors...]

8. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A decent set of components, a 4-channel amp, and sub would be nice. It can be accomplished on budget, with a bit of shopping around.

9. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Priusenvy, where can I learn more about this point your making?
    I'll use PC search in the meantime, just thought I'd ask you too because I've noticed your knowledge on audio is very impressive!
    -Chris