1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I have a JBL radio problem

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by chuckiechan, Jan 15, 2015.

1. chuckiechan

chuckiechan Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When I'm on AM 1530, the sound is fine until the "stereo" light comes on, then the sound is scratchy like in the analog days when you weren't quite on the station. If I shut off the "stereo" button, it's fine. It happens on all AM stereo stations.

I'm sure Toyota is going to argue with me on this. I'm going in for a 10K service Friday.

Does anyone else have this problem or know what is going on?

2. SAronian

SAronian Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the same sound change when an AM station locks onto an HD Radio signal. The frequency range is supposed to be increased with the digital HD signal and it does sound better on FM, but AM HD is unlistenable with overemphasized treble.

This does not happen on my Sony XDR-F1HD HD Radio Tuner, which sounds excellent on both FM and AM HD stations.

3. chuckiechan

chuckiechan Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm going to be at the dealer tomorrow, and I'm interested so see what line of BS they come up with. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one with the problem.

4. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    How far away are those stations ?
    I think it is a fairly common problem when the signal is not REALLY strong.
    I've had similar things happen on AM a few times.
    I just push the button and don't worry about it.

IF the stations are close and should be strong, it might indicate a problem with the radio antenna.......might.

5. chuckiechan

chuckiechan Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It's local and very strong. It's the main traffic and news program in the Sacramento, CA area.

So it's the radio. And they are going to somehow try wiggle out of it, I'm sure of it! LOL

6. chuckiechan

chuckiechan Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The tech at Toyota told me that it is the nature of HD radio to be that way, trending to treble as part of the HD listening experience. I could tell from his attitude that he's told people this before and people aren't buying it.

He also said that until enough people complain, Toyota doesn't seem to be too inclined to fix it.

So I'll call Toyota and see if I can register my complaint, but I really don't think they are willing to admit to a big repair bill on unknow numbers of Prius's. Also, I not sure that many people listen to AM any more so it may be a smaller problem that it is. I just happen to have my main station being HD AM.

BTW, he showed my in the settings how to disable HD radio so it won't default to HD when you turn on the radio. So that seems to be the solution: Disable HD radio.

7. SAronian

SAronian Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the update. After reading some HD Radio Tuner reviews I found that a Sangean Radio suffered from the same problem. It was credited to a design flaw. Broadcast AM radio applies an analog frequency boost prior to broadcast which is canceled by a corresponding deemphasis in the radio tuner. Sangean and apparently the HD Radio tuner used by Toyota both apply the treble deemphasis only to the analog AM signal and not to the digital (HD) signal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. chuckiechan

chuckiechan Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    While I appreciate this, does it apply to all Toyota JBL radios on AM?

If so, everyone needs to test their AM signal to start a wave of complaints.

The question is, how? I see now why they give you free satellite for a few months, hoping you'll forget about AM, LOL.

9. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I don't necessarily agree with that.
    I think HD-AM is somewhat of a kludge right from the start.
    I have yet to see a radio where I thought it accomplished anything good.

HD-FM is a somewhat different animal as it is true digital and gives you some additional channels to boot.

10. chuckiechan

chuckiechan Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If I want to listen to AM - where traffic and news talk is during my commute, I will. I paid for a car with a radio that I though met the minimum standards of common performance and it doesn't.

Get off my thread. You sound like my kids. Ewwww... AM... Ewwwww.....

Good Grief.

11. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Wth.
    The basic AM function works if you turn off HD; isn't that what you said ??

Just push the damn button and quit whining.
    AM-HD has not worked good on the last 4 cars I've had:
    A Toyota, a Ford, a Hyundai and a Chevy.

12. chuckiechan

chuckiechan Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is it wrong for me to expect features to work?

AM hd works fine in my Ford Taurus. If Ford can do it, Toyota can. The problem is they feel as you do - "Just shut off features that don't work and stop complaining. We got an image to maintain!"

SAronian likes this.