1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I have a "problem"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by The Phoenix, Oct 21, 2016.

1. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have a 2008 Prius with 214,000 miles, lately and with increasing frequency but no real pattern I get the red triange and the word problem on the screen. It doesn't stay on and they is no noticeable changes when this happens. So now I have a problem because I don't know what it is...at all. Is there a way to get into some vehicle diagnostics without tech stream or taking it to a Toyota dealer. I did manage to get some information when I was checking the voltage of my 12v but I've forgotten the procedure. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I will also try to look for similar posts as well. Thank you.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Many Auto Parts stores have an OBDII reader you can use. They usually expect only one ECU, so they do not check all the ECUs in a Prius, but if it is an engine 'problem', they may find it.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A common problem has been the failure of the inverter coolant pump. Open the cap and check the reservoir fluid and see if it has any movement while the car is on.

4. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have a scan gauge and it does not register any engine code. I will check about the coolant, but the one thunk I have documented that was done was replacement of the pump

5. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A low engine oil level can cause the intermittent appearance of the red triangle. When was the last time you checked it?

#5 jadziasman, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  6. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I think you solved my problem jad, I'm overdue for an oil change and my sometimes aggressive driving style does burn a bit of oil...I will check that right away

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh yes, always check oil level first. But you shouldn't get to the triangle warning, that's already late

8. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three