1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I have been diagnosed with cancer

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by statultra, Jul 17, 2010.

1. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A week ago the Wednesday the 7th of July I discussed with my doctor some mild swelling and discovered I have testicular cancer. At first i was shocked just as much as anyone else was in my family, im 22 almost done with my degree and had so many plans for this summer, it felt more of an inconvenience than anything else. My livelihood is fixing cars and messing around with electronics and stuff, now all of which I cannot do since i cannot strain myself.

The past Tuesday was my surgery to remove the affected testicle, it went uneventful, just have some pain now I am trying to overcome ( with the help of pain killers ) before i can move on to the next step.

Im writing all of this because this Prius community is part of my life just as much as my family or my friends are, and im wondering if anyone else here has been diagnosed with this and what was your outcome, so far it sounds very promising from other celebrities and stuff.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so sorry to hear your news, i don't have any experience with this except people i have read about and their success was very positive. i wish you all the best! fight it with all your strength.:)

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for sharing your experience with us...I hope we, as a community, can offer some support and encouragement for you. Best of luck with your ongoing treatment!

4. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I understand your need to share and it can be a relief telling other people. To consider us part of your family is a great honour.
    A friend of mine was diagnosed with testicular cancer at age 36. He has some pain, and after a check he had to get operated and had the testicle removed. After that though, he had a few months of chemotherapy and he is now completely clear.
    Considering the age it happened to you, I suppose your doctor will want to check you regularly.
    Get well soon! and keep the spirits high!

5. oxnardprof

oxnardprof Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My nephew went through discover and treatment of testicular cancer. He maintained a blog discussing his experiences and thoughts: The Audacity of Pope

He now is in recovery, and ready to move on to the next adventure in life. Perhaps the blog will offer you insight.

6. statultra

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I love to hear great stories like this, it makes my outlook a lot more positive. Everyone is telling me be prepared for whatever can happen, but im trying my best to keep my head up and think that everything can only get better from here, not worse.

things like this illness make appreciate how fragile a life can be and how much i should never take anything for granted.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    thanks for sharing. how is your prognosis? i know 2 people who (strange for something that is supposed to be relatively rare) had it and recovered. both were in their early 20's as well and that was over 10 years now. both are doing very well.

8. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for sharing, and you're in my thoughts and prayers.

My son-in-law had testicular cancer several years ago but has been cancer-free since his treatment. He wasn't much older than you at the time.

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure you've already thought of it, if not already read Lance Armstrong's book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Its-Not-About-Bike-Journey/dp/0425179613

Honest, frightening, but reassuring story about his fight back from metastatic testicular CA.

10. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My brother had this cancer almost 40 years ago. He had one testicle removed. He had no more cancer and is doing fine. I know it is scary when you hear the C word. Best wishes and I am sure you will be alright.

11. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've had another form of cancer twice and am presently in remission and beating the odds.

Take this as encouragement:

"Testicular cancer has one of the highest cure rates of all cancers: in excess of 90 percent; essentially 100 percent if it has not [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metastasis"]metastasized[/ame]."

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testicular_cancer]Testicular cancer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Wiki isn't the best source of information but not usually too bad. Check the NIH, legitimate cancer societies and most any university medical centers. Information is your friend.

1 person likes this.
  12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You may want to PM F8L, as he's on a similar journey. Glad to hear your surgery went well! As a guy who swims regularly for exercise (45 minutes a day - 4x to 5x each week) I'm frequently having pre-cancer cels removed from my skin ... especially after a close friend (who was ALWAYS outdoors/fishing) got eyeball skin cancer that quickly spread. So EVERY body ... take note! check your self out REGULARLY for all the common kinds of cancer that can easily be delt with.

13. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis but glad to hear that your surgery went well. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck with your follow up.

14. tickmark40

tickmark40 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry to hear about your cancer. Thankfully your cancer can be cured and it seems you found it early. Keep a positive attitude. It helps so much. Best of luck.

15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Early detection and treatment is key and it sounds like you got it. Add a positive attitude and you're well on the way to recovery.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems like you were able to catch it early. That's definitely a plus regardless of success rate. I wish you a speedy recovery!

17. statultra

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for all the encouraging and positive comments. So far i have no clue if it has metastasized monday is the big day to find out, I have a real positive outlook now that I have heard so many great stories. I wish it wasnt called cancer. I cant wait to hear some good news hopefully on monday.

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As a moderator, I hearby rule that we shall now refer to your affliction as "cupcakes".
    Statultra--sorry to hear about your cupcakes...hope your cupcakes are good. Have you heard anything more about your cupcakes?:eek::D

2 people like this.
  19. statultra

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL thanks one cupcake is gone! i cant wait to be "normal" again.... Honestly i just want to get back to school and finish my degree more than anything itll take my mind off everything, being home all day and not being able to do anything much makes you kinda feel useless. Anyways ill have more time to cook.

Thanks to everyone for your support, if my grammar or anything seems off it must be the painkillers talking

20. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm really sorry to read about your diagnosis. :( On the brighter side, testicular cancer is one of the most curable forms of cancer out there and your age will help you get through the whole process. In March 2009 I was diagnosed with colon cancer and we found out later that it was rated at stage3+ and possibly stage 4. It has been a very trying journey but the amazing people here at Prius Chat have gone a long way towards making my journey easier. I owe them so much!

My advice is to take all this in stride and treat it like any other obstacle in your life and overcome it with a smile. True, you may not be able to do everything you are used to doing in your daily life, at least for awhile, but it will all be over soon. Ultimately you are alive man, and in my opinion just being here in this world and able to breath in and out and able to enjoy life's experiences are what it's all about! We never know how long we have in this world so enjoy each and every day bru. :)

If it ever gets rough for you, I'm always available for a chat.

Justin