1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I have many mods I am interested in & need help deciding

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by mee081224, Aug 20, 2006.

1. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I want to start off by telling how i got my black #3 2006. I am a systems analyst who lives in tampa,fl where heat is terrible, so tint is a must. I bought my car online, well shopped for it. I actually went to palm beach to buy it, 250 miles away, because, they had a package 3 in stock with no add ons, no dealer fee, and i got $500 off msrp. I am not sure it is a good deal or not, but it seems it was. Now on to the mods I am interested.......

I plan on getting tint, obviously so i def dont help with that.... but everything i a interested in, can hinder my mpg, unless all total is less than 5% decrease in fuel

-on my rims there are hubcaps, I was wondering why are they there, it seems the rims are actually nice, but maybe it helps wind and mpg, but they are UGLY.

-I got the package #3, so all that is included is the back up cam and I really want everything, just didnt want to pay the dealer it. So here is what I want to do

-Navigation, Bluetooth, leather, carpets, Compass mirror/homelink, HIDs, Speakers, mudflaps, better rims, and possibly EV switch, and folding mirrors/or at least blinking lighted mirrors
    WISH I HAD GOT PACKAGE #4 with VSC, since I think vsc is impossible to add, but whats your take

-As for leather, i have seen many spots on PS that they upgraded their leather, so if anyone got some upgrades in tampa, fl please let me know.

-I already bought carpets off ebay for $50, and I will buy mudflaps from ebay, I probably wont buy the hids from ebay, well the ones that say $8, how much do real hid cost? and what will i need and what is the difference in wattage used and difference in lumination

-Can i buy a mirror with a built in compass and replace the one i have or is not possible, like would i be able to remove the wedge and install a new one, i notice that the mirror is on some type of metal surface, maybe for electrical for the homelink upgrade.

-I have seen many foroums about the wheels, so i wont ask and will wait for difference in mpg when using bigger tires

-Speakers, I will do myself, once i find out the sizes and capabilities of stock radio for 2006, if anyone knows the sizes of each speaker an a pics will help for the back of the radio. I have seen the removal instructions for the radio, which included removing the screen

-I have seen the lighted mirror for japan cars, is the wiring there for ours, and how hard if anyone knows, these seem great for night time?

- How hard is it to install the EV switch, i have seen the site to buy it, though i lost it, if anyone wants to write it down, I am very decent in electrical, so wiring is not bad if i know what to wire. Thats how i know how to install an upgraded system

-Navigation/bluetooth, i planned on installing a computer in my vehicle, just like the guy did with the mac prius, but i plan on using windows and using java to grab the inputs of the touch screen. I had the idea before i found out it was done, plus i cant do everything the other guy did, since he has 2005 an i have a 2006, which includes the backup cam, and now has digital video. If someone has pics of what the back of the screen looks like i can get ideas, if i can use a kvm swicth and bypass buying a can-view for my vehicle, and build my own mini windows machine. Which i have found parts already to build the system.

---Hopefully if someone or many ppl write to me on this matter, everyone who is interested in some or all of this can easily view all this info in one place.

2. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I also do car covers help keep the heat down inside the car, i live in florida, and there is no such thing as winters, which i know hurts the car because it uses gas to heat up the engine. BUt it seems if it is too hot, the battery wont let it run normally, as was told to me if the vent leading to the battery is blocked, the car wont run as it is suppose to be. It seems i get crappy mpg when driving when the car is very hot. I probably wouldnt use the cover during the months when it does get cold, and when i say cold i mean, 40s-50s, since thats the coldest it gets, yes i know very pathethic, but you dont deal with the sun 14 hours a day and humidity, and if you live in the rual parts of florida, you are living with the bugs too, thank god i dont lol

3. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I also will be adding a bra, and was wondering if they are hard to install or not, but any help by anyone on the other things would be greatly appreciated also

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Lets see if we can answer some of the questions here...

Sounds like a good deal to me! Most places won't go below MSRP on the Prius, and a few are still trying to sell above!

Yes, the plastic rings are ugly... many people have removed them and never looked back. Supposedly they're for improved mileage, but no one's noticed a dip from removing them.

Yes, VSC is either impossible or prohibitively expensive/difficult to add. I think everything else will be covered later on its own.

not from Florida, but there are shops all over the place that will do aftermarket leather to car seats... many dealers, infact, offer it as a dealer add-on when you buy the car. It might be best to go to a dealer and ask who they recomend.

I believe the HID install is a little more difficult than that, but i'm not sure, having not done it myself. Search for it here, and i'm pretty sure you'll turn up someone who has.

With the car only having a basic mirror, you should be able to replace it like you would in any other car. Never done this myself, though, having the homelink and loving it.

good! j/k. if you ask me, tires and wheels and such have been beaten to death on the forums.

try www.crutchfield.com. they have a "what fits my car" section, which will ensure the speakers you get will fit your car. in addition, they'll send you any harnesses or adapters you need and complete instructions, as well as letting you know what the isntall will entail before you buy - always a plus! head over the the audio forum and do a search... you'll find lots of people have replaced their suround speakers.

I'm confused by what you mean in a Lighted mirror... you mean the auto dimming mirror? those are present in the higher model number cars, and are pretty much self-contained - they just need power!

One of the options for the EV mod is Coastal Tech. They offer one that works on the cruise control knob, so you don't have to worry about running wires or anything. their instructions are easy to follow and it really does work great! Also, check out Darelldd's website... he's got tons of info on pretty much every mod available.

the last thing i want to see on my MFD (MFD = multi function display, aka the back of the screen as you put it) is the blue screen of death! LOL. anyways, check darell's website above, you can probably find some pictures of the back of the MFD there. I don't think a KVM switch will work exactly, you'd have to get a little more complicated than that. Also note that (to the best of my knowledge) can-view doesn't work yet for the '06's

Hope this helps!

*edit* i seem to have broken the quotes!

5. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks so much for the info.
    No you are right, can-view hasnt made something for 2006 yet, thats why i am trying to figure out something in the mean time, also the lighted mirrors, i was talking about are the side mirrors, which light up when you turn your left and right turn signal on.

blue screen of death is bad but i can run maqpoint on it, and possibly bluetooth as well.

looks like i will be ripping off those ugly hubcaps, will do a test on the mpg, with out them, im still testing the heat theory, just starting parking under a tree, but has rained every day i tried driving home from work, hopefully today will be better

6. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I guess i am the only interested in this topic lol, another question, though if i get the computer installed then i wont need this, but is it possible to add a dvd player to my system and watch it while i drive? well not me the passengers

7. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(massimo @ Aug 21 2006, 01:22 PM) [snapback]306831[/snapback]</div>
    If i remember right, someone on here figured out the inputs for the reverse camera... with those in hand, you'd have to first splice into it appropriately for the video signal, hook in the audio (either splicing it in again, or through the aux jack) and then add in an anytime reverse camera mod (i know theres a post on here somewhere with instructions on that... try a search :-p)... all in all, it'd be fairly tricky but definately cool.

I need to remember to post pics when i get home, but the weekend before last i took a little camping trip with some friends (ok, so it was a drinking trip, most of the time was spent in the city, but we camped at night cause it was cheaper) and took along a TV and an xBox, hooked up to an inverter i added in the back. Now, the TV was rather big and made it so it was hard for the others to play while i was driving. So i started on my next project this past weekend by finding two LCD's for cheap on craig's list... When i'm done, the LCD's will be mounted on (maybe in?!?!?) the back of the front seats for the rear passengers, and the MFD will be there for the front passenger... All of these will feed from a custom signal distribution box that i have yet to design - the main goal being that i want them to each be able to display whats on the MFD or feed from an aux in, with the option of splitting the image so, when playing halo, you only see your screen, no one else's... it's gonna be a fun project, and i expect the design and buildign of the box to take most of the winter (given how lazy i normally am at this type of stuff).

8. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(massimo @ Aug 21 2006, 11:22 AM) [snapback]306831[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Massimo,

Wow you want to do alot of things! I guess you're looking at a heavy investment in terms of all the mods. Eh, check out my website (In my signature) and goto the Enthusiasts section. You'll find most of all your mod's you want to do. Also about the tires and wheels. You'll definetly receive a hit on MPG when upgrading to heavier wider tires and wheels/rims. Oh, if you'd like i'd be happy to add your contributions to priusmods.wiki.com (lol as you'll see it's still work in progress) Cheers! My Album

9. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I def want to do a lot of mods, but money is an issue since I paid alot for this car, but i just got 5,600 for my 00 tiburon, and i still get the 3150 back :) as long as my tax liability is high enough, so i guess i have to work harder to get it up there, im only off by 5k total salary so i may make it up toward xmas anyways. I am heavy into programming at work, so i may use some of my skills for the windows project, that is reall nice, that way i can integrate many things into one. i.e.
    bluetooth, gps, dvd player, wifi, email, ims, talking through ims, and some other things.

I have saw the anytime camera, which looks liek the way to add the dvd player and other items, like xbox(but im not a gamer,just programmer) which i may want to do, that guys web site is intense, with simple things, which i may do, but since everything is on the web, i need to print out a check list, just so i dont get lost, like i do at work when i am working on multiple projects.

10. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(massimo @ Aug 21 2006, 01:22 PM) [snapback]306938[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah totally bro! I'm working in IT right now as well heh, but i'm more of an adminstrator than anything else. Sounds exciting! I'm totally interested. Keep us posted! Maybe update in your signature what you intend to do! Good Luck!

On another note... Does anyone know how the tax credit will actually work? Are the forms out yet? Will they track it by VIN? What do you have to have for proof?

11. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I havent seen the filing paper work yet, im sure it will be like last year, except you get more money back lol. but i usually use turbotax and it will ask for when you bought it, im sure, since dates mtter, it may ask you to enter the date.we shall see.....im assuming the papers come out in oct maybe nov...def as soon as i know anything i will let you know

I will be updating my signature soon, i am going to create an xls worksheet with everything and all the links, maybe create a website with a table with all the crap i am interested and all the respects to who stuff associated with the item. But since i work 2 jobs kinda of hard to do, but since i just sold my car this past weekend, i have some time on the weekend :)

12. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    the way i understand it, there's no real "form" for the tax credit... you stick it in when you file, and they check it against their database (i believe the car companies have to submit the info about the purchasers to the IRS so they can check)