1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I have officially turned into a Hybrid Driver - I actually was happy there was traffic!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Rupert B Puppenstein, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Rupert B Puppenstein

Rupert B Puppenstein Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My Dad was the first hybrid driver in the family with his Hybrid Ford Escape. It drove me crazy that he drove the way he did and every phone call started with what mileage he was getting.

Now, I have turned into him, but worse...I have actually been happy that there is traffic (as long as it is moving and not stopped) since getting the Prius and achieved 57 mpg! :cheer2:

My highest yet in the month I have had the car (except for when we drove it off the lot), and if traffic continues to be like this, the sky is the limit! :p

Traffic used to be stressful, annoying, and almost tiring. But, now that I have a Prius, it is yet another opportunity to get better gas mileage. :D

Anyone else a fan of traffic?

3 people like this.
  2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Welcome to the club :)

1 person likes this.
  3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I never get tired of reading posts like that.

It sure is eye-opening when the drive transforms into a enjoyable experience.

You'll find it more and more rewarding as time goes on too.

1 person likes this.
  4. HaveNoCents

HaveNoCents Conservative Tree Hugger

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It's funny. This just happened to me yesterday for the first time. There was less stress, and for the first time I got 57.6 mpg. I caught up to all of the speeding lane-change fanatics (I was one pre-Prius) and just laughed. I can tell my new driving experience will probably add years to my life instead of taking them away. Hypermiling here I come!

1 person likes this.
  5. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed it is a more relaxing driving experience. Plan the right amount of time for the trip and there is less stress and more of an ability to enjoy the drive. I have had the car since Sept and still look forward to driving it. Recently some trips in higher winds have provided a bit of mileage challenge but still enjoyable as I try and find the right combo of throttle and speed.

1 person likes this.
  6. royvogel

royvogel TanzMan

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree! Getting stuck in traffic is much less stressful in a Prius:rockon:

1 person likes this.
  7. dkelly

dkelly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This sounds like the start of a new thread -- You know you're a hypermiler when...

I'll start.

You know you're a hypermiler when you're happy they just lowered the speed limit on a 7 mile stretch of road you drive daily.

1 person likes this.
  8. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hear ya man...back when I had my 08 I used to drive nicely and calmly, then after getting into the sports car scene drove like a douchebag to put it nicely.

Now driving to Riverside on the 215 where they are doing construction, I am happy that the speed limit is 55 for a 3 mile stretch. Nothin like cruising in the slow lane at 55 and watching 60-70 mpg on the instant readout.
    Got passed by a lifted Silverado doing at least 70 just to get pulled over by CHP. Sometimes people never learn, its 55 for construction, barriers on both sides, 2 lanes, and it says every 200 yards "TRAFFIC FINES DOUBLED IN CONSTRUCTION ZONES." Anyone smart would realize that translates into "INCREASED PD and HP PRESENCE." Then again commuting in a crew cab truck with 10 inch lift on 35+" tires isn't smart to begin with. Wonder what a 70 in 55 x2 is? $600 or $700?.

Welcome to the joys of the MPG game.:rockon:

1 person likes this.
  9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There's a very long running thread on CleanMPG. ;)

You Know You're a Hypermiler if.... - CleanMPG Forums

10. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No. It loses its appeal 10 hours a day every day. :cool:

Glad you're enjoying your new car. Just think of all the money you're saving! (esp if your friends poke fun of the Prius)

1 person likes this.
  11. Rupert B Puppenstein

Rupert B Puppenstein Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Luckily, I don't have to deal with it that long...so I can see why you wouldn't be a fan of traffic!

Does anyone not poke fun of our cars? :confused:

It may not be the coolest car out there, we may be stereotyped like crazy for driving the Prius, but the mileage argument always shuts people up! :D

12. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In my old car, when I saw slow and go traffic ahead, I thought "Ugh, this is going to add X minutes to my drive. Now, when I see slow and go traffic ahead, I think "opportunity".

1 person likes this.
  13. Red09

Red09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    There is hill I drive down on occasion. I used to hate it for using up my brakes, now I love the site of a fully charged battery for the climb up the other side.

2 people like this.
  14. pretendersfan

pretendersfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just bought my black 2010 on Jan. 7th and so far I am enjoying 55mpg. I used to like the highway because that was where I got my best mileage. Now I bypass the highway, hang out in the right lane, drink my coffee, enjoy the banter on the my favorite morning radio talk show and watch the mpg climb. And to top it all of I get to work in the same amount of time without the stress. LOVE MY NEW (used) PRIUS!

2 people like this.
  15. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, what you have found is that, by driving a Prius that reduces the cost of sitting in traffic, you are now a little more relaxed, and that makes the trip more pleasant. I also found that the Prius changed the way I drove and, effectively, made me a better driver. I was never one that had to save every second, but I still liked to drive as close to the edge as I was comfortable with.

When I retired from my old IT job and started to drive a taxi, I was driving, initally a typical gas (in my case LPG) guzzling taxi. But I figured that I was not going to let the world get at me, and just relaxed a little. My driving of my own Prius for the previous 4 years helped with that attitude. I would still attempt to get my passenger to his/her destination in as short a period of time as possible, but I was not going to kill myself through higher blood pressure doing it.

Now I have my Prius taxi on the road, I have noticed that I am even more relaxed, and, in fact, a lot of my passengers are thanking me for a pleasant trip.

The one area, now, where I still find I have a little road rage threatening to come through is when I have the opportunity to cruise along on electric only, but due to some idiot chopping lanes, I am forced to slow down and then need to use the ICE to get back up to speed.:mad:

2 people like this.
  16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You have touched on something you will not see in a car magazine review. The "driver to car" driving experience is all they care about and misses out on the "driver to traffic/terrain" driving experience.

1 person likes this.
  17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  18. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I hear ya, too !

I used to drive posted speed limit of 55 plus 10 mph on my 26 mile commute to work. I was always in the left lane trying to get around slower traffic while keeping one eye out for local police.

Now with the Prius I set the cruise for 60 mph and stay mostly in the right lane and enjoy a much less stressful drive to work. Most of my co-workers pass me in the left lane and are darting in and out of traffic.

What I have found out is that they are just parking their cars in the parking lot when I pull in. Most of the time I still walk in with them, albeit much more relaxed than they :)

1 person likes this.
  19. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yea, I'm actually sleeping in a little more each morning. I tell people I get better mileage leaving for work at 7:30 instead of 7:00. They look at me like I'm crazy, then I explain. If I leave at 7:00, there is very little traffic in the carpool lane and it flows at around 70 mph. But if I wait until 7:30, the carpool lane is more crowded and typically flows around 55 mph! :D

1 person likes this.
  20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I find it even more relaxing in the Gen 3 because the engine is a bit quieter and doesn't have to work as hard and there's a bit more sound insulation. DRCC on the highway adds to that lower stress level - no more fidgeting with CC because traffic volume increased or people cutting in and out.