1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I have priied. Newbie here

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by prion, Jul 4, 2005.

1. prion

prion Junior Member

Thanks to the responses to my should I priui or not.

I have priied, now. Traded the f-150 in on a salsa red, basic model. No extra packages, except for that plan b safety pack? ( 900 dollar cargo net)

I got the prius, knowing that financially it is a wash, versus keeping the truck. The reasons I got the prius. I like the technology. I like the better gas mileage, and reduced emmissions. Interior room is about the same as the F-150.

My experience so far;

Drove it about 400 miles this weekend. Good mix, of hills, and flat land. My average mileage, was about 43 mpg. Driving mostly highwat, with AC on high, at 70 MPG.

In my city driving so far, seems to be getting around 30 mpg. But I think I have a strategy to improve on that. Over all I like the car, and that mileage fits what I calculated before doing the deal.

Only took me four days to figure out how to put it in ready mode, consistently.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It will get better.

Your mileage will improve on each tank.

When I got mine my first tank was in the low to mid 40's. The next was 46-47. My last tank I averaged 50 mpg. They overfill the oil when it leaves the factory, so my mileage may also improve a bit when I have my first oil change. There may also be an improvement after the first 5,000 mile break in period.

Also....you'll learn to drive more efficiently with the display. You'll learn the car's aerodynamics allow you to coast a lot farther so you'll take your foot off the gas way down the road when you see a stop sign or red light. And you'll avoid the jack-rabbit starts. You'll also start to coast down hills and ease up inclines. Your driving style will change. And you'll probably feel more relaxed as you drive.

Congrats.

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

You're getting 30's in the city because your trips are extremely short. The car's mileage goes up to 50's after 5-10 minutes of drivetime, though some conditions may bring it down to the 40's, such as heavy heat or AC use. Before 5 minutes, mileage is in the 30's. The consumption screen graph should show you this.

4. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Good move Prion, you won't be sorry. The MPG is something you need patience with. I'm in Texas, and initially am getting 40 MPG basically. I have 100's out there, summer and FULL AC use and also more CRITICALLY heavy stop/go for short trips only.

The first tank you should not even count because you don't know how the dealer "filled" the car. The dealer might have shorted you 2 gallons and you would not know it. When you fill properly and fully, FULL will come down one HATCH mark after about 130 miles. That is when you will see that the poor mileage will come to about 40 MPG, unless you REALLY drive it bad. Puting in the right amount of oil, tire pressure, and proper fill up will in the end improve your mileage + AFTER break in. I am the one who gave you some numbers on deciding, and I am glad you decided to give it a try. Make the most of the car AS IS first, work on improving mileage by better driving habits. I work on slowing to RED lights and avoiding full stops at RED lights switching to GREEN, more gradual starts, easing the gas pedal, GOOD foot work, smooth work on the gas pedal and pedal up (slow down) slightly once the car with GAS/ELEC mode has brought the car up (in motion) to about 25-30 mph. There the thought is the car is up to speed and you either cause coast or elec mode to save gas and maintaIn speed, IT WORKS. I keep an eye on the display and try to help the car's performance always. In the early mornings and evenings, I try and avoid the AC. Also I have noticed that at slow in town speeds w/o AC., you can open your window on driver's side, BUT always crack or open another window on the RIGHT, that is because you need to lower air resistance, and if you have an intake side (left) you need to let the air OUT.on the right side, otherwise you have just created a supper air brake, and you are pressurizing the car sometimes, my ears feel it. This is all at the expense of your MPG. On the highway or at higher speeds (above 30-40 mph)., it may pay to use the blower or AC and just keep the windows closed to allow benefit of the aerodynamic design of the car. Chime in other users, and let me know if my approaches are incorrect in some way, I need all the help I can get to.

Best REGARDS, good luck, and feel free to consult and let us help if you have any questions or problems, everyone here in the technical forums is open, friendly and very helpful.

Immanuel Altmann
    05- Silver Package B1 (like yours)
    1034 miles, 3 tank fulls
    Best MPG 43.8 (some highway)
    Worst MPG 39.997 (all short trip in town w/ac)