1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I have to have a car, so I guess I can't give up ☹️

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Chris Wolfgram, Jun 27, 2023.

1. Chris Wolfgram

Chris Wolfgram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Still having all kinds of crazy messages popping up on the dash... Hybrid system malfunction... Low breaking power... Collision avoidance system malfunction... Please see dealership.

But up until now, everything was actually functioning perfectly. Yesterday however, I tried to use cruise control, and a new message got added to the popups... Cruise control malfunction... Please see dealership.

So yea, I've been to the dealership twice. They can't figure it out either > and to go any farther, they are telling me just disconnecting any aftermarket equipment isn't good enough. They told me I'd litterally have to rip out my stereo and bring it to them with a big hole in the dash. Are you freaking kidding me ?

Oh, and they also said, "And we don't know what you had plugged into the OBD" (computer interface) Umm... Me either ?

SO, from there I go back to the stereo shop. They go through everything, reset the alarm, and they tell me, all the pop up messages are gone...
    And btw, we don't know what this was plugged into the OBD....
    Wait, that wasn't for the alarm ??? No. Okay, so nobody knows what that piece is, or where it came from ? That's interesting ?

But anyway, they give me the car back, with the mystery piece sitting in the front seat. I litterally drive it to the end of the street, and Bam... Hybrid system malfunction, etc, etc, etc ! Urggg ☹️

So I do U-turn. They tell me to bring it back in the morning at which point they will completely (at least temporarily) remove the alarm from the system, and try again. They tell me that neither the stereo or the amp go through any kind of computer... Strictly 12 volt stuff (which we have disconnected for testing) so it couldn't possibly be causing this.....

However, Toyota doesn't care. They are litterally telling me "disconnected is not enough"... I need to have the head unit ripped out..... And the amp, in spite of the fact it is not connected to anything that runs through the onboard computer ☹️ or most importantly has been completely disconnected to eliminate any possibility of it causing a problem.

To me ^ this just sounds unreasonable. My Toyota certified friend / personal mechanic told me he has an 800 number where they actually do try to keep customers happy. I might try calling them at some point too.
    I know this is quite a long rant, and yet I'm sure I have left out a few things.
    Looking for suggestions of what you might do in this situation ? I do ride share and I'm losing money every day my car is down ☹️
    I can post a photo of that mystery OBD adapter if anyone cares, or wants to take a guess what that is ?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I guess they have to place blame somewhere. If everything aftermarket is removed, then they can point the finger at Toyota

3. Doug McC

Doug McC Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Is there another dealership near by that you could have take a look at it for you?

4. Harters

Harters Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Doesn't a low 12v battery sometimes give these weird messages? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

5. Chris Wolfgram

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Well not super near me... 25 and 35 miles away. Talked to the one 35 miles away just now though, and he was super friendly, and said if my local Toyota service center couldn't figure it out, they'd be glad to take a look at it. He also confirmed that that mystery piece plugged into the OBD port was kind of an aftermarket anti theft device....
    In general though, he sounded very knowledgeable, and friendly, so I might end up taking it there after one more visit to my local Toyota service shop.

Doug McC likes this.
  6. Chris Wolfgram

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Oh, so I talked to the 1-800 Toyota customer relations number, and the lady completely Agreed that it was unreasonable that I would need to remove any of my aftermarket stuff, but that disconnecting it would be completely acceptable. And to that end, she was going to send a letter to the dealership to tell them that was not necessary. So that's cool.

For the moment, I have zero messages popping up, and even the check engine light is out. Granted, I could drive to the end of the street and have it all popping up again ☹️

Doug McC likes this.
  7. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What car is yours? How old is it? Is your 12v battery older than 5 years?

8. Doug McC

Doug McC Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    At the very least, it sounds (or should I say “looks” ;) ) like you are making progress. Hang in there, maybe the message from Toyota will help the first dealership to “smarten up”!

Chris Wolfgram likes this.
  9. Chris Wolfgram

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    It is a 2022 XLE with 27K miles on it. It actually did this briefly, at 20K miles, a couple months ago, then everything seemingly fixed itself. Now, its gotten to where it screws up, and fixes itself about 2 or 3 X's in a 10 hour shift. It was screwing up when I shut it down last night, buts its a 50/50 whether it will do it when I fire it up this morning.

10. Chris Wolfgram

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Yea, ya know, I hope they think about that, and don't harass customers with that kind of stuff in the future. But I actually talked with the service manager at the place I bought the car yesterday, and he was super cool on the phone. Its 45 minutes one way, and so to leave the car there I'd need two 90 minute drives :( ....but I swear I might do it anyway. He said he'd have never said I had to completely remove any aftermarket stuff in the first place. And that disconnecting it would accomplish the same goal.

Doug McC likes this.