1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I have to sell my 2010 Prius II! How much is it worth?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Steve Cebu, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As some of you know The seat in the 2010 Prius is pinching a nerve in my back. Long story short nothing can really be done to fix it.
    So I'm going to have to sell it. I don't want to get burned on the
    price. So I'm trying to figure out what the car is worth.
    It's a Blue Ribbon Metallic Prius II with no options except for floor mats. Price was $22976 not including Registration fees. It only has about 500 miles on it. :pout:I don't even have the title yet.
    Can anyone give me an idea of the value. I'm thinking around $22K
    Thanks

2. Lafferty

Lafferty Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ouch! Sorry to hear Steve. That sucks big time.

$22k sounds fair, you might be able to get $22.5k.

3. i3akachan

i3akachan i love my new prius:)

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    awww, I'm sorry to hear that! I have no idea how much it's worth... but best of luck! You'll probably be able to find a bargain-hunter Prius buyer who would pay around 22k for an almost-new Prius!

I'm sure people probably wrote on your other thread... but is there any way to replace the driver's seat?

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I trust you tried various gel cushions that many of us incorporated on the Gen II's? Baring that, I'd try auto trader (and their dot com site) as we've always done good that way. good luck!

5. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I am also sorry to hear it. Would you mind telling us the long story. We might all learn something from it.

Roy

6. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Anyone here that follows the discussions knows there is nothing wrong with your vehicle so that helps. But there are sooo many starting to show up you will have to discount it as a used vehicle enough to entice someone.

The only negative I can see is would the purchaser be able to deduct the new car sales tax by purchasing it off of you as a used car rather than a dealer as a new car?

I'm sure you'd still do better off selling it rather than trading it.

7. Jabber

Jabber Chicagoland Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For a quick sale, 22k. For a less painful (no pun intended) hit to the pocketbook, you should be able to get 22.5k. I'm sure someone will want to take it off your hands for either of those figures.

8. sluday

sluday New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think $22k is a steal. Figure it's like paying under $20k before taxes and fees for a brand new car with some "demo" miles. Some dealers cars will probably sell with more miles then you have on your car. All of your use has been documented on Priuschat so the buyer knows there is no funny business.

If I did not have a trade to get rid of I would consider your car even though I am more interested in a Prius III or IV.

9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good luck Steve,
    My dad passed away about a week after buying a new Mazda 2, when we asked the salesman who sold dad the car, which now had 70 kilometres on it what he would pay for the car to buy it back he said $12,500 to $14,000 depending on the condition? Dad paid about $18,500 for the car!

Personally if the seat is your only gripe, and I admit it's a big problem, then I'd suggest looking into fitting an after-market seat from SAAS or Recaro or Sparco etc. When you do sell the Gen III you can swap back in the original seat and move the good seat into your new Gen IV. It doesn't work out that expensive when you take into account the improved resale of a car with an as new drivers seat and the life of the replacement seat may be 3 or more cars. I'd think about it at least.

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    All I can advise is to sell it quick, before the dealer lots have inventory.

11. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Unfortunately, unless you're talking about an exotic car with multiple year waiting lists (like a Ferrari), or a fuel sipping car during the gas highs of last summer (when these cars were in short supply), once you drive off the dealer's lot, you're going to take a big hit trying to sell a used car.

Even though it's a new generation, given the economic situation and the state of the automotive industry in general, these cars are not hard to get, so you're competing against new cars, and therefore have to price significantly lower to compete

As other have suggested, you might be better off seeing about an aftermarket drivers seat.

12. Notinarush

Notinarush Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good advice. With one transport ship having just debarked and another ship looking to be arriving in a few days, many dealers in the Northeast will probably be receiving an ample supply within the next few weeks.

13. MaggieMay

MaggieMay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Steve - I'm sick about this. I know how long you've waited and how excited you've been. If not through PC - advertise it soon!!
    Best of Luck :(

14. Jabber

Jabber Chicagoland Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What about finding a custom interior shop and have them add padding to the seat for you in the right places?

15. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is one SAD story. I imagine that with your brief test drive the problem with your back did not arise. However, what's to say that this problem won't happen in another vehicle. Before you act too quickly, try and see if there is an alternative. There MUST be a way to modify the seats. Even if you have to pay a few hundred dollars it sure beats selling the car and then buying something else. Please keep us posted and all the best of luck to you.

16. web1b

web1b Active Member

In many places, you have to pay sales tax on used cars, so it is not like paying $20K. It would be $22K plus tax (sales tax bill from the DMV later).
    If it is only a few hundred less than buying a brand new one at a dealer (who can provide financing etc.) I don't see how that a fantastic deal.
    If there is a super shortage in your area and it will save a buyer in a hurry from having to get on a waiting list, then it might sell fast.

17. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Steve,

I know this is going to sound crazy because you have probably tried everything under the sun already but if it means not having to sell your new 2010 I think it's worth a shot...

A few guys over at ecomodder.com swear by these things and a guy posted his experience recently about them...both for support and for comfort...the link is just for the photo reference as you can get them at CVS for under $10...

Lumbar Support Cushion - Air Mesh Lumbar Car & Office Chair Support Cushion

Good luck bro!

18. sluday

sluday New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

If it is a cash deal then you are responsible for the taxes here in New Jersey but if it is marked a gift or swap, no taxes. Some states may pay none. I am not sure what the deal is if you buy a used car out of state but probably could sneak out of it. You can get the same or sometimes better financing on used cars through credit unions.

The car is new so unless you're a dealer trying to knock off $4000 in depreciation. The car is worth $22k easy right now and could be the only used Prius for sale on the east coast. After dealer add ons and fees a $22k car turns to $24k-$25k in a second. The cars are barely here in the northeast so right now it is a great deal. Next month is a different story.

19. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks everyone, I will try and sell the car for $22K. I think it's a fair price and there is nothing wrong with it except that it bothers my back. The Corolla is pretty much the same.
    The problem with an aftermarket seat is that the computer wants to see the airbag which won't be there and in a collision that could be a big problem.
    The Prius seems like every piece is designed to work with every other piece.
    It's all computers now.
    I was so depressed earlier I just couldn't stay online and my back and left arm were in a lot of pain.
    I'm going to see if my dealer will help in some way and see what they can do for me. If anyone has any ideas of where I should sell it or knows someone I'd appreciate any help. I'm not sure where I should sell it as it's so new.
    Plus now I have to figure what else I should buy and there's nothing out there that I like better than the Prius.

20. sluday

sluday New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Steve

Is it the seat or the headrest that is giving you the problems ???