1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I hear a sound from the rear of my car when I sit or get up.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by SirCorgi, May 24, 2013.

1. SirCorgi

SirCorgi New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a brand new 2013 Prius III with a little over a hundred miles on it now. I started to notice that every time I sit or standup to get out I hear a noise from the rear of the car. When I drive it normally, I don't really hear any trouble with the suspension or brakes. This sound happens before I even power up the car.

I've attached a ZIP file containing the audio if anyone cares to listen to this creaking sound. I weigh 210. So, I realize that I am not exactly light as a feather, but this Prius is new to me and I am still getting use to its sounds. I've never had a car that made creaky noises when sitting down and standing up.

Sorry for the constant buzzing noise in the background. That is a pool pump that I can't turn off right now. You should hear me sit down and get up a few times during the audio clip. The recorder was placed directly under the rear end of the car.

Shocks maybe? Should I take it in to have it looked at?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    You've certainly documented the sound that even my old ears can hear. I would assume it's coming from the rear suspension, and yes it could be a shock. Since you can easily replicate the sound, the service dept should be able to correct this easily. It may not be anything serious but I would have it checked and corrected.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how much do you weigh?:cool: oh sorry, just saw that. 210 isn't that much, i'm in the same ballpark. i get a creaking sound from the back right when i back out of my downslope driveway and hit the flat street. i think it's two different materials rubbing against each other.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the easy answer is that this is a new vehicle clearly under warranty. Yes, I'd take it in and get it checked out. At the very least, at the dealership you could ask to sit in a different Prius and see if it makes the same sound.

Or perhaps it will clearly be something with the suspension that can be fixed. But really? Before you buy a new vehicle auto manufacturers like to sell you on the "peace of mind" of a new car with a new car warranty. This IS troubling you....so that's exactly what having a new car warranty is for...go get it checked out.

5. SirCorgi

SirCorgi New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK, glad you folks don't think I am crazy for taking it into the shop for a closer look.

Appointment tomorrow morning!

May the Goddess of Hybrids watch over me! ;)

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)

7. SirCorgi

SirCorgi New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Took my car in on Saturday early morning. Got it back Saturday afternoon. What do you think happened?

If you guessed "We could not reproduce the problem. Sorry!" Then, give yourself a cookie! Murphy wins again.

It's been rainy, and my service guy said the moisture could be the reason why my noise temporarily disappeared. From the audio I gave him, he said it sounds like it was most likely just a bushing that needs to be greased. Figuring out which one/s can only happen after the sound comes back in full force.

8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    My driveway is angled and when I get in and out of the car, I hear the parking brakes slipping slightly on the rotors and it kinda sounds like your sample.

SirCorgi likes this.
  9. SirCorgi

SirCorgi New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow! This is a great idea! I too park on an fairly angled driveway always setting my parking brake. It does kind of have that sound that I hear when I set my parking brake.

I think I can test this idea by trying to replicate the noise in my driveway with and without the parking brake on. I'll run the tests today, and report back later with my results!

Thanks for the idea!

10. SirCorgi

SirCorgi New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I did a few tests this morning with and without the parking brake engaged after first proving that I could reproduce the noise in my usual setting. I'm now 90% certain that El Dobro nailed it by pointing out the parking brake.

I need to test the car on a different day with different weather conditions, but I feel good about this answer.