1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I installed Sirius in the 08 tonight.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jelloslug, Oct 7, 2008.

1. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Here is my Sirius install. I used a TOYSC1 and an SCVDOC1 so my wife can use her Stiletto 2 as the receiver.

[​IMG]

I wanted to install it with minimal disassembly so I just removed the lower glove box and the right side vent panels. I loosened the wiring block and my wife was able to slip her hand behind the radio an plug in the harness.

[​IMG]

I routed the Sirius connect harness over the filter door and over the the passenger side of the dash.

[​IMG]

I attached the Sirius connect box to the side of the dash with 3M Velcro and them plugged in the radio harness.

[​IMG]

I removed the center console from the are for modification. I had to notch out the little shelf above the power and AUX input jacks for the SCVDOC1 to sit flush.

[​IMG]

Test fit of the Stiletto 2 in the dock.

[​IMG]

You have to route the docks wires like the factory harness or the lower console drawer won't close all the way.

[​IMG]

I had already run the antenna to the inside of the spoiler for the temporary install though the AUX jack. I ran the wire that goes from the dock to the Sirius connect box under the passenger seat.

[​IMG]

I then ran it under the door threshold and up the kick panel.

[​IMG]

And then bundled the excess and plugged it into the Sirius connect box.

[​IMG]

The Stiletto 2 in it's dock.

[​IMG]

It's communicating OK.

[​IMG]

It's working just fine.

[​IMG]

Here is something kind of interesting: Even though the official literature says that the Sirius direct will only work with radios with a SAT button (JBL system) it work just with my non-JBL (no SAT button) head unit. You just push the AM button just like on the JBL units and it switches over to SAT mode. The steering wheel buttons work exactly like on the JBL equipped cars.

2. 40glocker

40glocker New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Excellent post. Thank you. I'm gonna refer to your photos when I install the DICE ipod unit soon.

3. pdhenry

pdhenry It's HEEERE!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Is there a guide to removing the console? I think I got as far as unbolting but didn't disconnect any harnesses. I ended up running up the outside of the passenger side of the console with the antenna wire for my temporary Aux-input install.

How did you route the cables to the dock? Looks like you put a hole in the console below the dock - Is that right?

EDIT:
    Never mind on the console removal. I figured it out:
    Pull up on the from cupholder to remove it and expose silver screws on the front.
    Pull pack and up HARD on the rear cupholder assembly to remove it and expose two electrical connectors.
    Disconnect the connectors. There's a little release tab on each connector that you squeeze to release the connector.
    Unscrew the silver screws on the front corners
    Remove the felt from the inside of the console and remove the two 10mm bolts in the rear bottom
    The console should lift out.

4. pdhenry

pdhenry It's HEEERE!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Jelloslug:

Thanks for the info & photos. Just finished installing my Stratus 4 in the console. The cable routing to the underside of the console was very helpful. My unit is a little too wide to fit between the partial walls around the front shelf so I put it against the side of the compartment at the lower rear.

[​IMG]

The Toyota installation instructions here are very instructive for routing the antenna cable down from the rear of the roof (I did that earlier this summer for the quickie install using the aux input port) and for opening up the dash to get to the back of the radio.

Like you I stuck the TOYSC1 behind the vent cover between the glove compartment and the passsenger door; it was no problem to tuck it in there without removing the vent cover on that side.

The release button on the SCVDOC1 wasn't retracting one of the catches that holds the radio in the dock so I just ground the catches off with a Dremel before the installation.

Something obvious that I didn't think of - I needed to run out for some tie-wraps while I had the console out of the car. The keyless ignition doesn't work when the console's out because the receiver is in the back of the console above the two connectors that you have to unplug to remove the console. You can still stick the fob in the dash and drive the car that way.

Attached Files: