1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I jumpstarted a car and my 2010 prius wont start

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by priusnation, Mar 16, 2012.

1. priusnation

priusnation New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I jumpstarted a friends car and now I'm getting a check hybrid system warning and my 2010 prius won't start. Please help..any feed back would be appreciated.

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not good. Prius was not meant for that. I hope some fuse blew. Better be that than the whole inverter.

Edit: Another idea. Maybe the hybrid computer detected the even as short and disabled the sysytem. How about a deep reset with removing the 12v battery cable and/or clearing error codes?

3. jbrad4

jbrad4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've seen this in other threads. Try letting the car sit in the Power Off position for 30 min. or so. Then power it up and see if it will start. I think it takes a while for the ECU to reset. That's presuming that you didn't reverse the polarity of the jumper cable and damage something.

[Added] I just read in one forum that a car door open can cause the warning triangle to come on. Make sure your doors are closed before you try to start your car.

Let us know what you did, if you get it working with no error lights.

4. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If you boosted the other car from the fuse box you probably blew the fuse at the battery. It's a 150A one. Check for voltage at the boost point in the front fuse box. If there is none, that's your problem.

NEVER boost a car with a Prius! The Prius 12V battery is NOT a "starting" battery.

4 people like this.
  6. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If the other car had a strong enough battery you may have just drained your's. Try a charger on your 12v battery and then check voltages afterwards just to be sure the battery in your car is still good.

http://priuschat.com/forums/newbie-forum/73400-weird-stuff-happening-mpgs-dropping-test-battery.html is the oldest thread on this that I see often.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...ptima-battery-doa-almost-getting-worse-2.html look at post 66 and below where I tested a new battery thoroughly if you want some other figures to compare to.

hopefully you are just looking at $50 for a charger or $165 for a battery instead of the 4 figure repair costs for major electrical damage to inverter and such.

7. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Prius 12V has the CCA's to boot a computer, not spin an ICE.

1 person likes this.
  8. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't do it again.

1 person likes this.
  9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Summing up the posts:

1) Check your battery voltage. If it is low, charge your battery.

2) Check the voltage in the fuse box under the hood. If you have blown a main fuse, get it replaced.

3) Wait for a bit and try again.

4) Disconnect the battery for a few minutes. Reconnect and try again.

5) Call the dealer.

Regardless of how this turns out, never do it again. Your Prius is too expensive for this use. Spend $50 and get a jump box.

Tom

10. movingforward

movingforward Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow good to know. The 12V is only for starting the ECU then? The engine is started by the NiMH batteries.

1 person likes this.
  11. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, for booting up the ECUs and also to close the relays that allow for the power from the HV battery to start the ICE via the MG.

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Please note: This does not mean you should jump other cars using the NiMH batteries!

Just making that clear because, you know, you never know...

13. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It should be perfectly safe to jump another Prius.

I wonder if it would be ok to jump a conventional car just to charge its battery up a bit. So long as you don't run the starter on the jumpie (?), I would think that the current would be acceptable. After a few minutes of charge, disconnect the cable and try to start the jumpie.

There are all sorts of unknowns in this situation. How many AH does a conventional car need to soak up in order to successfully start? Is that more than a Prius battery has? What is the maximum current that a dead battery could draw from the Prius battery? If it's more than 100 amps, then this is a no-go. If less, then it's a maybe. I just don't know, but it seems possibly ok.

14. movingforward

movingforward Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would just get a jump box instead if you ever need to boost somebody else's car. I love my Prii too much to even try this.

15. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If, in an emergency, you need to jump another car, disconnect the 12V battery negative, and jump directly from the battery. Best practice is to connect the cables and let the two batteries sit for a few minutes before trying to crank the dead car. This will impart a small charge into the dead battery, and raise its voltage enough that the current draw will be lower.

NEVER, EVER, JUMP ANOTHER CAR FROM THE FRONT TERMINALS.

1 person likes this.
  16. Kentwang

Kentwang Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Back in the late 80's
    I took a basic mechanic class at local community college.
    The instructor said never use a car with ECU to jump another car, the reason is: sometime a sudden drop in voltage may kill the ECU.

17. movingforward

movingforward Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is extremely catastrophic for the Prius. :( Can a representative from Toyota confirms this issue, could we sticky this thread please?

18. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1
    I wasn't aware of this either, feel bad for the OP. Like they say- no good deed goes unpunished!

19. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    A conventional car can draw a considerable current from a 12V battery. Small 4 cylinder ones will approach 100A when warm, 150A when cold (below freezing). 6 cylinder engines will draw in the 100 to 150A range when warm and up to 200A when cold. Then there are the V8s! I have seen 250A pulses going to the starter motor at ambient temps of -20! Of course that's with really good connections using really good cable (welding cable) and 14-16V at the boosting end.

Funny though, because the 1993 RX-7 I used to own drew about 30-40A to turn it over. I used a very small 12V battery (about 1/2 the size of the Prius battery). Never tried to start it in winter though. ;)

Generally speaking, if you connect a good charged 12V battery to a "dead" battery you will get a quick pulse of current then not a lot of current. The reason is the voltage difference is very low once the battery starts to charge and the connection resistance is usually high when "boosting".

20. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I jump started my dead Prius with a 12 volt DeWalt drill gun battery. it goes to show how little power it takes to boot up the Prius. it takes more power to run the brake pump than booting up the Prius ECU.

1 person likes this.