1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I just acquired a new project vehicle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jelloslug, Jul 17, 2008.

1. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just acquired a new project vehicle (updated 8-12)

It just arrived last night on a flat bed and I drove it into the garage. It's a 2008 Package 2 with 5500 miles that seem to have met an early demise via a trailer hitch. No damage past the firewall and it runs and drives.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Xtine000 likes this.
  2. thepolarcrew

thepolarcrew Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Like my 10 year old would say, SWEET!

Bumper -Hood - grillie - Rad ?

What do you think repairs will run.

Kind of interesting to see it with some of the stuff off!

3. Highly ImPriused

Highly ImPriused Impressive Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Is that the coolant canister, front left in the top pic? I wonder why they'd put it there. Doesn't look like there is very much to protect it from getting damaged in a front-end collision. Although, I guess it did survive this crash ...

4. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Bumper, hood, headlights, fenders (I might be able to save the passenger one), radiator, fans, condenser, air cleaner, airbags, seat belts, and the top dash pad. It should run 3 to 4 grand when it's all said and done. I'm going to try and take tons of pics during the process.

5. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yep, that's it. The majority of the damage is on the passenger side to middle of the car. I would much rather replace a $35 intake resonator than the $600 coolant canister. :D

6. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  7. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Here is a bit of an update:

[​IMG]

Tearing down the interior for the new airbags and dash top.

[​IMG]

The demolished condenser/radiator/cooling fans are out along with the lower plastic shrouds. The damage is not really that bad...

[​IMG]

Growing pile-o-parts.

[​IMG]

A little bit of hidden damage. I expected as much. Nothing a little money won't fix...

[​IMG]

And this is the last we will see of this little hunk of crap. It's some cheap dealer installed alarm system. All it was good for was to drain the 12v battery since I don't have the fob to disable it.

[​IMG]

Honk, honk!

[​IMG]

With the drivers fender off I can now verify that there was no major damage to the crumple zones over the strut tower. Life is much better that way.

Xtine000 likes this.
  8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congratulations on the disassembly; I can see that you are making great progress. Are you going to subcontract out the body straightening and sheet metal repairs & painting - or do you plan to do that work yourself?

9. KandyRedCoi

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    what part of the car is this?
    and what is wrong with it?
    other than that, great progress, if possible please tally up the cost on the parts you have to replace
    [​IMG]
    thanx

10. thepolarcrew

thepolarcrew Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Looks way different once the bags deploy!

The last pic, is that the trans?

Looken good!

11. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm going to try to do all the metal work myself. I may have to get some help on the passenger side frame rail that is tweaked a bit. I will paint it myself also.

It's right were the engine stops and the trany starts. I think there should be a little cover over that hole. The connector to the left is damaged but serviceable. I think a little JB weld will take care of it. I'm making a spread sheet so I can see the total cost.

It's the engine/tranny area just behind the cooling fans.

12. KandyRedCoi

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  13. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nice wy did you get a salvaged prius?

14. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I love to tinker and I'm a cheapskate at heart. In less I run into something crazy this car will cost less than 1/2 of a new one and with 5500 miles on the clock it is close enough for new to me. Worst case is I tire of the whole thing and throw it on ebay. I could easlly get my money back plus some when I fix the airbags.

PS: more pics tomorrow! :thumb:

markinuckfield and Xtine000 like this.
  15. jammin012

jammin012 The man behind The Man

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    SURVEY SAYS..... XXX

The coolant canister is in the middle of the engine bay, between the ICE and the Synergy Drive System. The little skinny one.

The big canister on the left is the window washer fluid canister.

16. jammin012

jammin012 The man behind The Man

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Absolutly GORGEOUS color. This and Salsa Red are their best.

17. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Big
    adj. The size of the cojones you have for taking on this project.

Keep up the good work. And keep the pictures coming.

18. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Patrick, I think you're understating the case, "huge" is more like it....

Yes, I'm a tad jealous, I wish I had the time, money, space, and oh, yeah, and those vente sized cojones to undertake a project like this. It looks to have the potential of being wicked fun.

At the same time, the little rational voice in the back of my head keeps whispering "what's really wrong with it?" I'm no professional damage estimater, but the damage I can see doesn't look bad enough to have resulted in this car being totaled.

I'm figuring this based on the old "rule-of-thumb" that to total a vehicle, the damage has to exceed 75% of the car's value. Figuring, conservatively, that the car's value is $25K, the damage would have to be worth ca. $19K. The damage in the OP's post doesn't, IMHO but then I may be way off base, look like $19K's worth, so that leaves me wondering:

• What other damage is there that can't be seen? (Bent frame, didn't I read that somewhere?, transaxel damage, broken motor mounts, etc.)
    • Did some insurance adjuster just really screw up, and the OP was standing in the right place at the right time? (Luck and cojones make quite a combination. Also, who's estimaters are that bad so we all know to stay away.)
    • Is the Prius really that sensitive to front end impact? Yes, the airbags deployed, so the impact occurred at over 25 mph, but the crumple zones didn't fold so it wasn't that far over 25 mph, though the zone behind the bumper folder. Though again, it would even at "low" speed.
    I know, 1 and 3 don't play well together, so that leaves me wondering what surprise is lurking in there. I really hope there isn't one...

This is going to make a cool story, I hope that there's much more to come!

19. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The skinny plastic tank between engine and inverter is the coolant reservoir.

The metal can on the drivers side behind what used to be is the big "thermos bottle" that stores warm engine coolant between trips.

20. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I think the insurance company lowballed the value.

Then there's labor. Body work is always real expensive. Then there's the airbags. I hear when the airbags deploy it's most likely the car will be totaled.

I also think the estimator assumed there was more damage inside than there actually was.

So Jelloslug got lucky and got it cheap. Since Jelloslug is putting in his own time for free, it being a "hobby" right now, he only has to worry about cost of parts and not labor.