1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I just bought a '97 Suburban - Kick me out of Priuschat?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Winston, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just bought an old Suburban to use as a tow vehicle for pulling my tent trailer and hauling the kids to Tahoe. On one hand I feel like a traiter to my Prius, OTOH I have a nice set up. A nice new Prius for every day use and a nice big truck for trips. I am getting some flack at the office though.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Do you carry your Prius in the back of the Suburban?

Tom

3. HardCase

HardCase SilverPineMica, the green one

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It's okay as long as you don't do what some Prius owners have "confessed" to doing, that being to drive their other vehicle, whatever gas-guzzler it might be, to run short errands in order to keep the "average mpg" on their Prius high! Definitely false economy there.....;)

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I once negotiated a lease provision that allowed a certain someone to drive her Suburban into the freight elevator, take the freight elevator to her office, and park the Suburban there. It was a good thing.;)

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :tsk::mod::ban:

I'm sorry Winston. You have just violated your contract here at PriusChat. We shall bid you farewell as your Prius gets confiscated in fear that the Suburban will feel jealous and run over it one night (has no backup camera right?) thereby becoming the king of your garage.

We can't let this kind of automotive cruelty go unnoticed and we are determined to do something about it til :flypig:.

:D

6. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've heard that parking in NY is pretty rough, but renting your SUV an office?
    :eek:

7. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    :fish::argue::frusty: THE PRIUS POLICE WILL BE THERE SHORTLY...... They will confiscate your Prius... Wow, I'll bet that thing get about nine miles per gallon......... four in the city and five on the highway !! :D:D

8. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, I guess maybe by driving it only occasionally you're keeping someone else from using it as a daily driver. Thats about the only positive I can come up with.....

Just for kicks lets see how this compares to a 2008 Toyota HiHy:
    1999 GMC Suburban vs. 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4WD
    CO2 (g/mi): 627.71 vs. 338.0 (86% higher) Greenhouse/Global Warming Gas
    CO (g/mi): 2.7 vs. 0 (inf (>68X) higher) Poison / Toxic
    NOx (g/mi): 0.4 vs. 0 (inf (>133X) higher) Smog / Acid Rain, breathing problems
    NMOG (g/mi): 0.095 vs. 0.008 (1088%, or 11.88X higer) Formaldehyde & other VOCs, irritant, cancer

I can sympathize with the desire for a larger vehicle to get out in the woods/wilderness. I also recognize the impracticality of buying a new HiHy just to go out camping a few times a year. Still, it seems like there must be a better way.

Rob

9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice knowing you Winston.
    Pity really, I thought of you as one of the smart ones.

Seriously, how is that any worse than jumping on a aeroplane to fly across the country? If you commute solo in the Prius, and judging by how people cherish their HOV lane stickers most do in their Prius and you have 4 or 5 in the Sub-Urban and the Sub-Urban comes out to play only for the camping trips and the like how can we knock that? Trailer on a Prius, not a good idea and Toyota don't like it either. Putting a trailer on a FWD car won't get you to that special camp spot by the stream with the trout in it where you can show your children how important it is to be a good steward to nature.
    Is it possible to convert the Sub-Urban to run on liquid propane gas? That would reduce CO2 emissions, it's a very common conversion on big cars here. The Australian government will even pay $2000AU toward a conversion here to get people to convert to reduce oil imports and reduce CO2.

At least you are still a Prius owner and your second car isn't a Hummer.:whip:

10. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If I did have a Suburban, I'd wait until the price of gas gets to $4 or $5, then strut around like this:

[​IMG]

Then I'd ask all the people ribbing me for getting a cracker jack hybrid in a late William F Buckley voice if they were having financial difficulties? :p

11. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Winston,

Thanks for your post, and your honesty. You knew you'd catch some grief when you posted. Regardless, you are still a member here, and we're all glad you still have your prius. Your point raises some issues as pointed out above, why buy a brand new highlander to only drive several times per year, that's not practical.

Still, I'd hate to have to fill that tank on that baby!!! :eek:

12. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No one expects the Prius Inquisition!!!! Bring out the comfy chair!
    :caked:

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    WINSTON!!
    Are you still here? :mad:

:D

14. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think all of the PriusChat members should go out and buy a used Suburban or other huge gas guzzling vehicle as a service to others. You will be keeping out of the hands of someone who might drive it more often. I'm doing my part with the Ford Explorer that is parked in my driveway. ;)

15. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    LOL! I'm doing my part with a '99 Land Rover Discovery parked out back!
    Rob

16. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Can I buy something cheap and gas guzzling? My budget is kinda tight right now. :)

17. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hah, whatever. I guarantee you will regret it in a year or so. My dad bought the same thing back when gas was around $1.20 a gallon. Now he cant get rid of it. I have a turbo prelude that gets maybe 10 mpg city, if that. Your not alone.

18. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't see anything wrong with what you did. You needed a vehicle with towing capabilities, and you got a used vehicle that suits your needs.

19. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    what your doing is one of the three R's.

Re-using.

20. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't see why not, you just put this 97' Suburban into valid use....esp the towing part.